Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
classes put on by guild >

classes put on by guild

classes put on by guild

Old 06-09-2014, 04:45 AM

As a member of a guild, I have taught classes. I put just as much time into the prep as a "nationally known" teacher. And I feel a deposit fee should be the same for every class.

Everyone who teaches workshops, puts lots of time and energy into the prep work, and my time is valuable too.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:51 AM

I have been scheduled to teach a few classes at my LQS, only to learn, just a few days before that the class has been cancelled because almost everyone who'd signed up had backed out. It takes time to prepare for a class - making up patterns, photocopying, gathering materials, making samples. It's a little disheartening to do all that planning for nothing, even though it means a day frees up for sewing.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:08 AM

I taught an heirloom sewing class -- made up kits with expensive fabrics and laces to use in the class. 3 or 4 people who had signed up didn't show up for class. I didn't make enough from teaching to cover my expenses. Never again! I do think that special circumstances could be dealt with but having a waiting list doesn't always work -- the person next on the list doesn't have any advance notice in order to get ready to take a class.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:21 AM

I just signed up for my first classes at the guild I just joined (so I'm a total newbie at all of this) - the classes I signed up for were paid for in full up front; $40 per class and then one class will have $15 kits you'll need to buy from the instructor during class. (One is taught by a guild member, the other is taught by a "big name") I think they ask for 48 hours notice if you're not going to make it, in order to get your $40 back. That seems completely reasonable to me.

The price is maybe a little steep (seemed especially expensive when paying for 2 classes at once) and I'm sure some guild members are priced out of classes, though. I'm not sure if there's any program in place to help lower income guild members be able to attend...I hope there is.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:34 AM

As a teacher, I spent hours getting ready for a free class and only 2 people showed up, so disappointing. If they put up some money then they feel obgliated. Just sprouting off today
Old 06-09-2014, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by jgriinke View Post
As a member of a guild, I have taught classes. I put just as much time into the prep as a "nationally known" teacher. And I feel a deposit fee should be the same for every class.

Everyone who teaches workshops, puts lots of time and energy into the prep work, and my time is valuable too.
I agree! I have taught classes and very often prepare materials for the amount of students in the class. Sometimes there are things the students need to prepare -their fabric or something - before the class. If students don't show up, I'm out at least the time to prepare the lesson , probably materials, and if someone decides to "show up the day of the class" to protect herself from potential losing a deposit if she didn't feel like coming, then she isn't prepared for the class and I have to take time to catch her up, which isn't fair to me or other students. It sounds like 'no-shows' have been a problem for this guild, and this is their way of solving it. Good for them!
Old 06-09-2014, 11:06 AM

I would think if you voiced your concerns to the appropriate person, they would make an exception, but you better show up if you want it to continue.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

An instructor should charge a fee that covers her time and supplies for the max limit of students, no matter how many show up or not.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:41 PM

Our guild started charging a nominal "reservation" fee for classes, road trips and so on because of the number of no shows. It was refunded if you showed up for the event unless it was a for pay class. The fee would reduce the amount owed for the class if a class fee was charged. We only charge members a fee for big name teachers, otherwise the classes are free. It is usually $10 or $20 depending on how much the teacher charges. On road trips or shop hops we charge a fee for gas, usually $5 or $10. We have several members who struggle to get by and members throw in a few extra dollars to cover fees for these gals. It is done very discreetly so no one is embarrassed or singled out. We do have a several day cancellation period and funds are returned. So far it is working and no one is complaining.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:06 PM

The guild I belong to has national teachers come and give talks and give classes. We are required to pay the fee which is non-refundable. The last instructor we had gave a class for $35.00 and at a national quilt show the same class was $80-$100. I understand why you are concerned but our bus trips are the same way. They are non-refundable unless you can get someone to take your place. I had to miss a class that I had paid for due to my illness but I knew it was non-refundable and accepted it. You don't want a teacher to show up and then no students.