Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"clip loose threads" >

"clip loose threads"

"clip loose threads"

Old 08-22-2016, 06:34 AM

Default "clip loose threads"

When preparing a quilt for longarming, the phrase "clip all loose threads" is always number one on the list. What does that mean exactly? I think it means any fabric ravels. My sister thinks it refers to thread-thread, and not fabric-thread. I've looked at several websites and the phrase is always there, but no explanation of what it entails.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

Those threads that are sticking out or up but check with your long armer for sure.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:41 AM

It means thread - thread. They also appreciate neatly pressed quilt tops. This is how I prefer a quilt that is brought to me to quilt. I am not a professional quilter, I do it as favors for friends.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

It is for thread-thread, and fabric ravels, etc. Anything that is extra that shouldn't be there. The threads in your piecing are in the 1/4" seam allowance-that's great. But any extras that aren't trimmed, or fabric ravels are not welcome. As a for instance: you've left some longer dark threads. You have some white fabrics in your quilt top. If those longer dark threads happen to show through on the white fabric, both you and I would be concerned!
Please do trim threads, also square up the top, remove selvages, and press the top. These steps are appreciated!
Old 08-22-2016, 06:51 AM

I always thought it meant threads and threads from raveling fabric.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mariposa View Post
It is for thread-thread, and fabric ravels, etc. Anything that is extra that shouldn't be there. The threads in your piecing are in the 1/4" seam allowance-that's great. But any extras that aren't trimmed, or fabric ravels are not welcome. As a for instance: you've left some longer dark threads. You have some white fabrics in your quilt top. If those longer dark threads happen to show through on the white fabric, both you and I would be concerned!
Please do trim threads, also square up the top, remove selvages, and press the top. These steps are appreciated!
Is the sole purpose of clipping the threads to prevent them from showing through on lighter fabric? One of the fabrics in my current quilt top raveled a lot, so there are a multitude of half-inch to one-inch threads, but it's red fabric with black sashing - so no light fabric. I always clip the longer threads, but should I also clip all the shorter ones as well? Will they interfere with the actual quilting process? I guess I should have asked this in my original post.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

You just don't want any sewing or fabric threads to show up unexpectedly during the quilting process.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:51 AM

Just yesterday I was LA quilting when the machine got stuck..when I checked, it was raveled threads on front of top. I understand that sometimes you just missed it especially if it is a beginner (which in this case I think it is). I have also had to hand repair some places that were not pieced right.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:41 PM

As a LA, I would like any loose threads on the top to be clipped--the front so that they don't either get sewn down in the quilting or catch the hopping foot; underneath any threads, including raveled threads from fabric, so they don't show under any lighter colors. Also, square up and then be sure you have no loose seams (including along the edges--if you don't backstitch any seams at the edged, please consider basting around the outside or at least where seams meet the edge).
Old 08-23-2016, 02:22 AM

I am in agreement with Mariposa! Thread - thread and fabric ravels and and fabric show throughs for the best results. Personally if there are areas of shadowing or show through, I tell the client. If they wish for me to grade the fabric, making the darker fabric shorter, I definitely charge for this service.