Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
colonial girl quilt >

colonial girl quilt

colonial girl quilt

Old 10-19-2020, 06:59 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

If you don’t have a light box, tape it (and a piece of tracing paper) to a window on a sunny day and trace he embroidery lines you need,

i can find a picture of the blocks I think you want, but the link is broken.

https://pin.it/5sm2zxe

Last edited by Krisb; 10-19-2020 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:40 AM

Here’s a pattern for sale on Etsy

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1558...dy-quilt-paper
Old 10-21-2020, 04:11 PM

My thoughts: Can you copy one of the blocks on your printer? Cut out the arms and neck on the copy. Turn the copies to the back side and lightly trace them (a sharp #2 pencil works) to the new thicker muslin fabric where they belong on the block. Embroider the arms and neck as in the original block. Hope this helps and is clear.

Your blocks sound beautiful. Can't wait to see photo of them.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:21 PM

I have an old Skipper light box to trace patterns. I would use it to trace the features you need from the blocks, then draw them onto your new fabric block
Old 10-22-2020, 07:56 PM

Nanac, you can also buy pencils that are just for making transfer markings. They can usually be found at Herschners or stores that deal with embroidery supplies.
Old 09-07-2022, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by nanac View Post
I recently became a snowbird, and moved to South Texas for the winter. When we got to our other house, I found 19 Colonial Lady (?) quilt blocks in one of our closets. No idea how long they had been there, shoved all the way to a back corner, but they look to be from feedsack fabric. They are all hand embroidered to large muslin squares. However, most of the muslin appears to be poor quality, as you can literally see through it.
I could have backed it with a sturdier fabric if that was the only issue, but the bigger problem is that when I found these on the closet shelf, they were folded in half, and it looks like maybe some critters had been chewing them.
On the left side of each block, there is approx 3 inches of the muslin that has been eaten away, so now these beautiful blocks are unusable as is.
If I trim off the ragged edge, then it diminishes the muslin to about 1/8th away from the skirt of the lady. There is not enough room on the other sides to make it equal, although I might be able to sash it but the teeny seam allowance makes me hesitate to do that.
I have thought about this for a while, and I think my best option might be to cut away the appliqued pieces, and attach them to a heavier fabric. If I go with this option, then I lose the embroidered neck and arms. Currently, there is a book embroidered in the hands. I could add the umbrella that I am used to seeing, but obviously, they would not match the ladies' dresses. I would like to embroider the neck and arms, to keep it in the same style, but I have not been able to locate a pattern for just the neck and arms. I tried searching under Colonial Lady, Parasol girl, Bonnet Girl, and I get amazing pictures, but no actual patterns
After all this rambling, my question is: does anyone know where I can buy the pattern for the neck and arms so I can try to salvage these blocks? I know that quilts are only as old as the newest fabric, but someone spent a lot of time on these, and the needlework is beautiful. They remind me of a quilt that my grandmother had , so I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Did you make the quilt?
Old 09-08-2022, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

Wink

I think that, I Love to Quilt (post number 14 above) had a great idea to use the printer and copy the pattern. It would give her a life sized pattern of the lines she needs to draw to make her quilt blocks.
Old 09-10-2022, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by nanac View Post
I recently became a snowbird, and moved to South Texas for the winter. When we got to our other house, I found 19 Colonial Lady (?) quilt blocks in one of our closets. No idea how long they had been there, shoved all the way to a back corner, but they look to be from feedsack fabric. They are all hand embroidered to large muslin squares. However, most of the muslin appears to be poor quality, as you can literally see through it.
I could have backed it with a sturdier fabric if that was the only issue, but the bigger problem is that when I found these on the closet shelf, they were folded in half, and it looks like maybe some critters had been chewing them.
On the left side of each block, there is approx 3 inches of the muslin that has been eaten away, so now these beautiful blocks are unusable as is.
If I trim off the ragged edge, then it diminishes the muslin to about 1/8th away from the skirt of the lady. There is not enough room on the other sides to make it equal, although I might be able to sash it but the teeny seam allowance makes me hesitate to do that.
I have thought about this for a while, and I think my best option might be to cut away the appliqued pieces, and attach them to a heavier fabric. If I go with this option, then I lose the embroidered neck and arms. Currently, there is a book embroidered in the hands. I could add the umbrella that I am used to seeing, but obviously, they would not match the ladies' dresses. I would like to embroider the neck and arms, to keep it in the same style, but I have not been able to locate a pattern for just the neck and arms. I tried searching under Colonial Lady, Parasol girl, Bonnet Girl, and I get amazing pictures, but no actual patterns
After all this rambling, my question is: does anyone know where I can buy the pattern for the neck and arms so I can try to salvage these blocks? I know that quilts are only as old as the newest fabric, but someone spent a lot of time on these, and the needlework is beautiful. They remind me of a quilt that my grandmother had , so I hope someone can point me in the right direction.
I'd probably treat the blocks as Broderie Perse technique. Lay the whole block on a new fabric, preferably one that matches the old fabric, but you could get some cool blocks if a different color is used. Then cut around the dress & embroidered areas a bit at a time and do needle turn applique to the backing. In the areas where there's only an 1/8 of an inch, perhaps do an additional line of stitching in thread that matches the original block fabric to reduce the stress on the outer stitching. Or perhaps follow the embroider with matching thread?
Old 09-10-2022, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I have a child’s Crayola light box from Walmart that serves as my light box. There are many home made alternatives. You can use a window during the day. You can use a clear plastic bin with a light underneath. You can lay a piece of acrylic over the separation in a leaf table with a table lamp underneath. Google home made light box and you will get lots of options. I hope someone can find you a source for actual pattern but if not, you made need a do it yourself option.
I have a homemade light box. I went to Home Depot and asked if they had a nice sized scrap of plexiglass and a few pieces of lumber that would fit that plexiglass panel, wood glue and nails and a brand new hammer. (lost mine in our last move). He was curious about what I was making with the wood and I told him I was making a lightbox for quilting and sewing. He asked why so small. I then explained that I have a light that plugs into my computer usb port and I needed the light box to use that light. The light box sits over my computer and I draw whtever I need. He also showed me how to fix the top table to be above the pattern table and gave me everything for $10 because the pattern I showed him was one that his mother and grandmother had made for each of the boys in the family (all for the same Christmas) and had to tape the pattern pieces onto the glass window to get them onto paper to make the pattern. He said he still had his quilt and it will be passed down to his eldest son this December 24th. My light box measures 15 by 10 and fits over my laptop. I used to use the window method but love my lightbox much better.