Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color Catchers -- YEAH! >

Color Catchers -- YEAH!

Color Catchers -- YEAH!

Old 12-11-2011, 02:35 PM

Yes, I use them every time I wash fabric, and even after the quilt is done I use them again to be sure. (I wash the finished quilts because I have to wash off the markings and the dissolvable thread.) I love the Color Catchers.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Gail B View Post
I love them. Color catchers aren't available in Canada anymore but someone from this board sent me 2 boxes. Great folks on this board! Now that we're in Arizona for the winter I have stocked up & will be taking boxes of color catchers back to Alberta for both me & several friends.
Why can't you get them in Canada anymore? Is it a environmental thing? Quite a while ago I heard a rumor that they were going to take them off the market here in the U.S., so I bought several boxes of them just in case. Haven't heard a word since. I'd hate to see them discontinued! :-/
Old 12-11-2011, 03:25 PM

Yes, if I have the least bit of worry that an item will bleed onto other items I use a Color Catcher. So far they have been great!
Old 12-11-2011, 03:36 PM

On the quilt in my avatar, some water was accidentally splashed onto the fabrics and in places the reds ran on to the whites. When the quilt was completed, I washed it with a Shout color catcher and not only did the colors not run anymore but it also lifted the color from all of the white pieces that were previously accidentally dyed red. Great product!!
Old 12-11-2011, 04:02 PM

I can't remember where but I read the best explanation of when to use color catchers that I have ever found. Dye and how to stop it has to do with chemistry (acid or not) and how the fabric was died. Basically if it is a dye that sits on top of the fabric (do you get it on your hands if you rub it) use a color catcher because of how it reacts with the dyes and the kind of dyes that are used in that process. If the fabric color doesn't rub off on your hands but runs in water then use Retayne. I wish I could remember where I read it.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Sunnye View Post
I have used the ones that are just used once then tossed. They are great. I have one now that can be used up to 20 times (I think). I'm sure that will be good too. They are wonderful.
You must have the same one as I do - 20 times - I have used mine about five times now; that means I'm good for 15 more quilts, eh? I love mine! Edie PS - You have to remember not to throw them in the dryer!
Old 12-12-2011, 05:06 AM

The principle as I understand it is that color catchers attract the "loose dye" that has not been "set" in the dying process. They will work repeatedly until all of the loose dye is caught. Retayne is a chemical dye setting process. Usually only one Retayne procedure is necessary if instructions are followed (amount of Retayne, water temperature, length of soaking). The advantage of the color catcher is the ease of use, especially after the quilt has been made. The disadvantage is that you can lose color. The advantage of Retayne is that you have actually "set" the dye.

I have only had one experience where something treated with Retayne bled in the rinse water. I actually did two treatments and still no success. It was a black piece of fabric from an unknown source, and the sides of the sink ended up with a waxy black coating. I have no idea what kind of dye was originally used, but that piece of fabric became a donation to the local community theatre group to use as draping.

Always pre-washing,
Dayle
Old 12-12-2011, 05:35 AM

I use the Shout Color Catchers also and do love them!! Save a lot of items from being ruined
Old 12-12-2011, 06:11 AM

Couldn't live without them!
Old 12-12-2011, 06:13 AM

Love them too (Shout) but the last time I let my brother pick them up he picked up the ones with the oxyclean in them Do not like them at all. I washed a quilt I had washed before and it faded the one black I used. I too would like to know the name of the one that can be used repeatedly . And saving to decoupage is a great idea. I love recycling. :-)