Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
color decisions for new quilt >

color decisions for new quilt

color decisions for new quilt

Old 07-05-2013, 07:29 AM

Gorgeous fabrics! Love those polka dots. I'd combine with white or black--or white and black--but not brown which I think would muddy these pristine colors. Can't wait to see what you make from these!
Old 07-05-2013, 07:32 AM

Can't see the bottom most fabric well enough to see how dark it is. If not very dark I would add a dark purple but otherwise these are great colors together. If your pattern has a distinct and small center you might think of a golden yellow ( just a tad) to go in the centers.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:41 AM

Love the colors but a darker purple and green would add the pop, or maybe a fabric with both colors in it? Just a thought
Old 07-05-2013, 08:08 AM

As others have mentioned adding in a couple darker values of each the green and the purple would help, I think. If you really want a punch of another color I'd go for orange. Green and purple are secondary colors and the third secondary is orange, so it would make total sense.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:18 AM

I would add orange if you want it to pop
Old 07-05-2013, 08:55 AM

Thanks for all your clever ideas and input. How about this? Added dark purple and black polka dot fabric. Dollyo your quilts are beautiful, thanks for posting!
Attached Thumbnails blackgreenpurple.jpg  
Old 07-05-2013, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

I don't care for the dark polka dots. I like the COLOR of the dark purple.

Something I learned when I was making a green, cream, and purple quilt- I was VERY matchy matchy about the shade of green that I was using - and later decided that I limited myself.

If I had it to do over, I would have varied the colors a bit more - kept it close, but not quite such a narrow range of color. It was hard to find that precise green in later years.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:44 AM

I think that there are too many polka dots. I don't like the black at all. A darker green would be nice. The purples have enough variation, the greens need more variation. The purple polka dot and the one below it are too close in value. I would remove one. Also, maybe a combo fabric w/both the purple and green in it. If you look at my log cabin, I used the combo fabric as the center of the log cabin block and the last border. In the bargello, the border fabric ties them together. JMHO.
Thank you for your comments on my quilts.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

You have picked some lovely fabric that work well together. I might use a white fabric as a background, since white shows up in your fabric already. These fabrics would work well in almost all quilt patterns. Can't wait to see what you do with those beautiful fabrics.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:21 AM

I don't think your black works at all, and the dark purple was a bit too much of a leap from the other purples. As some others have mentioned, for pop, I think a lovely coral/peachy shade of orange would be great. Choosing from those sunset tones gives you a lot of options.
Otherwise, I'd go for the darker shade of the purple you are using, but not leap all the way over to the royal purple.