Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color help >

Color help

Color help

Old 10-06-2012, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by LLWinston44 View Post
What do you guys mean by 'black on black'??
Look carefully at the black in the Jewel Box quilt. It is black with gray swirls - from JoAnn's - not a wonderful product, but it sewed up well and is holding its color. I've seen in other people's quilts on here and it always looks good. There are a lot of black blenders available.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
Look carefully at the black in the Jewel Box quilt. It is black with gray swirls - from JoAnn's - not a wonderful product, but it sewed up well and is holding its color. I've seen in other people's quilts on here and it always looks good. There are a lot of black blenders available.

I, for one, will never use a solid color if I can find a blender or a tone on tone that is the color I want. Not even white
Old 10-07-2012, 04:40 AM

My suggestion is to go somewhere other than that quilt shop. You need to go to a shop where your ideas will be listened to and then several ideas suggested that would work with the ideas you already have. That's why we go to a quilt shop! I wish you luck and success on this! And blessings to your son for serving.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

I am sure that it will be loved by your son. I don't think those are "girly colors" as they are the colors chosen by many of the armed forces. I just finished one for my grandson who is getting married this month. Although it is busy, it contains many of the colors you listed. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...l-t202535.html Good luck with the quilt and be sure to post the pictures when you have it done. I know it will be fantastic.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:47 AM

I'd tone the whole thing down, go away from black black and use a mottled dark charcoal in it's place. I'd use deep, rich masculine burgundy, forest green, warm gold along with the dark charcoal and then I'd let it fly with the shield...clean bright true to image colors. Let' see If I can upload this picture which has the charcoal I'm talking about... sorry, floundering around looking for an upload image link. I"ll post pic once I find the link.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:35 AM

Blues an browns would be good. you might ad in a bit of deep gold color, not yellow.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:50 PM

I think the greys, blues, reds, bright golds and blacks will be perfect for this quilt! It won't be too feminine, and I think tone on tones, batiks or marbles qould be lovely! Please let us know what you decide!