Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick Quilts

Quick Quilts

I don't know about everyone else but the type of quilts that I like to make are ones that you can put together and quilt in a short period of time - like Jelly Roll Quilts, simple nine patch, etc. ...you get the idea. Whenever I try to make a quilt that involves a lot of cutting, piecing, intricate pieces, I get to tired of working on it and seem to never get it finished. What does everyone like to do? I guess I just don't have the patience to do one that is very intricate and complicated.

Blog Entries
    I don't mind a more challenging project but always like to have several of the type you mentioned. Sometimes I just want to sew and not do too much thinking.

Same here,that is why I love scrappies and even buy scraps off of ebay and etsy!

I like quick quilts also. BUT I love illusion quilts, tessellated, woven. Usually takes time and like you sometimes it takes a while to get them done. I do get bored easily too.

I prefer to do the quick quilts myself but I am starting to do slightly more difficult ones now once in a while!
    Heather

I don't make intrcate patterns. I am trying to sew up lots of my fabrics and want to make fairly fast quilts. I have finished all I start before going on to the next.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I like them all! But always a few of each going at once, it helps with the boredom. I find designing my own keeps my interest in a quilt for a longer time.

I like to make intricate quilts. Most of mine are hand sewn and they take months and months and months to finish. So when I get tired of them not being finished, I take a break and switch to making a quick fused wall hanging, usually with a purchased pattern.

Blog Entries
    I've never made a jellyroll before. I usually see a quilt and know that I must make one just like it. I usually have no clue what I'm getting into until I'm knee deep. That works out well for me though. I do end up completing projects, eventually. I used to finish one before starting the next, but that rule changed. I currently have two wips; my oldest dd's top is done (just waiting on her to pick out a backing), the other I started many years ago and just have to get back around to it. So, no jellyrolls for me. They just don't appeal to me, yet.
    Go forth and sew!

I agree, I look for the less intricate patterns. Things like Jelly Roll Race, Warm Wishes, Log Cabin and I just started on a string quilt and like piecing it. The intricate ones are beautiful but I tend to go for more easy patterns.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

I too love the jelly rolls and quick quilts. I think I have at least 50 projects to do including kits and jelly rolls with their patterns. Some of my favorite books are Suzanne McNeil's jelly roll books. I managed to buy the jelly rolls that she made her projects out of too. I just need to get faster to get those quilts completed. My problem is that I buy more than I get completed. I am working on a goal to complete at least one UFO a month this year. If I make it I will make a dent in my projects and be very proud of myself.

I have looked at Jelly Rolls but they would really be expensive if wanting to make a larger size quilt. I still don't mind cutting my own fabric. Maybe when I no longer enjoy buying by the bolt and cutting then I'd purchase the jelly rolls and other precut fabrics.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Power Poster
    Like a little variety. Sometimes the easy ones are just so pretty and you can move on to another project. Every once in a while like to do a little harder but then appreciate the easy one again. No set pattern for me but do like scrappies and now into QAYG quilts.

I love Jelly Rolls, they go quickly for me.

Guess I'm with the "easy" crowd too. I like to do DP9, Rail Fence, Pinwheels and love to do the simple ones that Jenny on Missouri Quilt does with precuts on her tutorials. I quilt just for the fun of it and give most all of my quilts away. Have not the talent nor the patience to do the intricate patterns. At 78 I take the line of least resistence.
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

I like to mix it up. I usually add my own twist to things, rather than just follow the pattern.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I do mix it up, also I add my own ideals on a pattern , but also enjoy the simple patterns, depending on how long
    I want to spend on each one.
    May you always have Love to Share , Health to Spare, and Friends that Care!

Have been quilting for more than 30 years. Thought once I retired, I would welcome a big challenge. Hasn't happened yet, the simplier the better for me. It's not as though I wouldn't like to make something more complicated but my menopausal brain seems to fight me every step of the way. If I'm not enjoying the process, what's the point. I so enjoy seeing and admiring the challenging quilts though.

I like the challenge of the more intricate patterns. It keeps my mind sharp. Iíve got lots of time and patience, and no quota to fill. .....

I have learned the hard way to allow myself only one intract pattern going at a time. When it starts to give me trouble or I just get tired of working on it I'll stop and do a quick strip quilt or a wall hanging. I will not alow mysef more than one intract quit at a time, I have to completely finish it before moving on to another one. If I don't, I'd have UFO's comming out my ears! DO NOT ask me how I know this! LOL In the past year I have been finished 15 intract pattern UFO's that have been laying around for a few years, only 3 more to go and I'll be UFO free! YEP! no new intract quilts since Nov.2011

I like a mix of easy and quick quilts...It seems when I mix them up I never burn out on my work...I have a lot of stash and am hoping to organize and use these fabrics. I am now on disability, and have unlimited time to quilt. My main goal is to be sure that every grandbaby has a quilt and I have enjoyed every minute I have to spend on my art.The local hospital knows me as the quilting lady, since I usually have a project to work on when I am on the mend!!

I have a quilt in process that for me is more involved...lots of little squares to piece together for a queen size quilt. It's my first complicated pattern and I can only work on it for so long before I have to stop and work on an easy pattern to give my brain a break. Since the queen quilt is for me, I have no deadline to get it done whereas the other easier quilts are going to be Christmas presents and need to be finished before then. I have a feeling I'm going to be doing more of the easier, quicker patterns to keep me happy.
    ...cuz I said sew! www.sallysaw.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    I always have a few going at one time. Finished a d9p this a.m., have three ready to quilt, beading a block,waiting to put blocks tog on my kitty quilt.
    One more needs binding

I have a couple of hard ones going..or 4. If I didn't take a break and work on some easier ones than I can actually finish, I would lose all interest. I always keep everything where I can work on whatever I am in the mood to.
    http://lyndaswhoknew.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I do mostly easy quilts too, because most of my quilts are for charities. Then, I occasionally do a harder design when I have the time. I love the jelly rolls strip quilts because they are always a surprise, and look so nice when finished. I have my own long arm, and just do a simple meander on them. I don't like the tight fancy quilting, as it tends to make the quilt a little stiff. When I do the simple fast stuff, it relaxes me and I just enjoy the process; no stress over making mistakes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast