Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color of Thread you use >

Color of Thread you use

Color of Thread you use

Old 08-13-2013, 07:56 AM

DonnaR, what I've been doing lately is using up the quilting thread of the bobbins from my quilt machine if there isn't much left on them. That way I get my bobbins back and I don't waste the little bit of thread left on them. I also use the leftover thread on my quilt machine when I'm starting a new quilt for basting the backing and batting together. Its usually a different color so I can see the line better to line up my top. The threads that my quilt machine doesn't seem to like all that much as I got them with the machine when I purchased it, I use them for piecing so again I'm not wasting. I try to keep close to a light color if piecing a lot of lighter colored fabrics and darker colors for the darker fabrics. Also will use leftover threads for when I go to hand sew the binding onto the back. If one of my bobbins was wound incorrectly or my quilt machine just isn't having a good day with it, I'll use the thread to wind onto my DSM bobbins to piece with. I try to not waste anything these days as our hobbies are expensive as it is but oh so much fun............
Old 08-13-2013, 08:41 AM

I seem to be riding a horse of a different colour.

I mostly use bright Connecting Threads Essential Cotton sets in all their zingy colour glory! Love their threads. Rarely do I ever use a neutral colour to piece and I've never had threads show through.

Sometimes I use a matching Superior Threads Bottom Line in the bobbin.

And I love Superior's Rainbows and King Tut.

My machine is a Husqvarna 875Q which loves every thread I've used with her.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:04 AM

I like Gutermann 100% cotton in beige and gray.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

It depends on the fabric I'm sewing, but I generally use white, beige, grey and black - with the quilt colors in mind. However, when quilting I use lots of variegated Rayon threads, as I like the way the quilting looks on the finished quilt. One quilt teacher I knew said that she uses grey thread as it blends with just about any fabric color.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:50 AM

Does anyone have the thread color numbers they could post? When I look at grays, tans, and sage greens online it is difficult to tell exactly what color they are and what blends best.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:09 AM

For white fabric I do use white and for black or navy blue fabric I use black or blue. Otherwise it's grey thread for my piecing