Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color of the year for 2010 >

Color of the year for 2010

Color of the year for 2010

Old 12-16-2009, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

I will not be using that color - I have absolutely all the fabrics and vow not to buy anymore this coming year. I hope to use a lot of it up this coming year.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

My background and career was in Interior Design..so I am really aware of the color"experts" predicting the latest new thing. Every year they do this and of course...it is all marketing and for sales purposes. Why else would we all think we need New things when its only the color of our things that are now "passe"

I tend to stick with what I like. I prefer classic colors...they don't come and go. I will accent with some of the more trendy colors though. If I get turquoise added to my stash it will be in FQ's or gifted to me by my grandmother who sends me boxes of scraps. :lol:
Old 12-16-2009, 09:41 AM

Marketing ploy. If its the same color as a year ago who would buy that one? just like clothes they change the style so you need to switch your jeans your t's you name it. I hate marketing ploys. Lucky for me I am ecclectic enough that I dont need to follow trends and follow my heart instead. Besides turqouise looks best in a necklace around my neck :)
Old 12-16-2009, 11:02 AM

That color was in a few yrs ago. I made a couple of quilts that were turqouise and brown. Very pretty but not in style any more.
My beef is with Alfred Dunner clothes. They have to be matched togather because the colors are always impossible to match with other brands. So you end up spending a fortune for several pieces when you only wanted one. He seems to be the only one still making clothes for older women so your stuck buying from him.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:39 PM

Ugh! That is the color my sister chose for those of us in her wedding this March. I used to like the color but the dress is so butt-ugly that I find myself grimacing whenever I see that color. :evil:

Once the wedding is over, I'm cutting up the dress and making a quilt out of it. I certainly won't wear the thing again and I would much rather have it in a quilt. Although, thinking about it, I may do up placemats and napkins and give a set to my sister. Let her stare at the fabric and think good thoughts! :wink:

Originally Posted by Elisabrat
Marketing ploy. If its the same color as a year ago who would buy that one? just like clothes they change the style so you need to switch your jeans your t's you name it. I hate marketing ploys. Lucky for me I am ecclectic enough that I dont need to follow trends and follow my heart instead. Besides turqouise looks best in a necklace around my neck :)
I'm thrilled with the new clothing trends. I've been waiting 20 years for my "style" to come back in. Now I just need to stock up on tight legged jeans and other things that now fit the way I want. And thank God those horrid low-rider jeans are headed out. I'm too darn old to want my pants to come just above my pubic bone. That's just wrong, at least on me! :lol:
Old 12-16-2009, 04:52 PM

i love that color with a clear lemon yellow..or teal with the yellow. I adore browns and rust, fall colors..
my grandson each got chocolate and teal baby quilts, before it was popular..

i don't pay attention to color or clothes trends..
i like comfort and my DD's have entered me into
make-overs" lol! haven't won one yet!
Old 12-16-2009, 08:46 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Now there's a thought... combine 2009's yellow with 2010's turquoise. I wouldn't have thought of that! It certainly would be cheerful!
Old 12-16-2009, 09:20 PM
Power Poster

I recently bought a bag full of 2 1/2 inch squares, obviously someone had planned a postage stamp quilt. I was thrilled with this and decided to add heaps of my own bits and pieces and hopefully sometime in the new year can start. I was reading an extract from "Color from the heart" that turquoise and red should be incorporated to make it more lively. Turquoise is not my usual choice...but has anyone found that it, in combination with red does give it more of a lift than say another colour?
Old 12-16-2009, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Now there's a thought... combine 2009's yellow with 2010's turquoise. I wouldn't have thought of that! It certainly would be cheerful!
If only I could find the before picture of my bathroom before I had it ripped out and a new one put in. It would show you how horrible a combination that was....yellow fixtures and turquoise walls. This was of course the state of the bathroom when we bought the house not at all my choice.
My favourite colour combination is purple and green both dark shades.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by earthwalker
I recently bought a bag full of 2 1/2 inch squares, obviously someone had planned a postage stamp quilt. I was thrilled with this and decided to add heaps of my own bits and pieces and hopefully sometime in the new year can start. I was reading an extract from "Color from the heart" that turquoise and red should be incorporated to make it more lively. Turquoise is not my usual choice...but has anyone found that it, in combination with red does give it more of a lift than say another colour?
Lucky you! I just love receiving bags of scraps. (drooling here!)

A postage stamp quilt is made of 1-inch squares. :wink: I find a little red , yellow, or any other "glowy" type fabric can really add a pop to a quilt.