Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
colors >

colors

colors

Old 04-04-2013, 07:58 AM

I like it all - I bounce from 30's to batiks to wild and crazy - quilting lets us try just about everything. Love the Kaffee quilt!
Old 04-04-2013, 08:08 AM

If it is a quilt for me, it is gonna be something bright. Red is my favorite, but DH does not like red at all, so we compromise and I make one for me in red and then one for him in green! We do well at Christmas....LOL. When it comes to quilting, I like the looks of a quilt that has heavy quilting, but not the feel because they tend to become stiffer and not quite so cozy and warm. So the quilting will depend on the individual recipient and what the purpose of the quilt. Something to be warm and used (not just a pretty) gets enough quilting to secure the batting, but not so much as to lose the benefits of warm batting. Something that is just to be a pretty on the bed or wallhanging can be quilted more heavy. And while I see lots of beautiful quilts and wonderful quilting, it seems to me that all anybody uses is feathers or pantos. There are so many options and designs out there, I would rather see some creativity instead of cookie cutter quilting. But then that is just my opinion.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:33 AM

I love color -- unfortunately I love nature, novelty, 30's, and ...... Guess that is why I have such a big stash. When looking at a quilt, the color draws me but it is the pattern that holds me. I too like the look of heavy quilting, but in my quilts I prefer a balance of enough quilting to hold the quilt together but not enough to make the quilt stiff. I have a friend who quilts and the quilting she does is stunning -- she freehands all kinds of surprises in her quilting. You can look at if for an hour and not see all the "treats" -- it just puts a real smile on your face to find a bird or a rabbit hidden in the quilting.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:36 AM

I like all colors, in all shades, but I prefer the more traditional patterns. I love a challenge so like the more complex patterns. I just finished a 12 in. block that had 101 pieces in it.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by mynani View Post
As I am looking at al the pictures of the quilts this morning I realize that the first thing that draws me to one are the colors in it. I just love the vibrant primary colors and the scrappy tops. Funny,my home and my clothing are mainly neutrals. After the color I then study the quilting. I am learning to like the heavily quilted tops but this has been slow in coming. What colors do you like and how do you quilt your tops?
I favor bright and rich colors in my quilts. I am WEARING more vibrant colors (uh oh! maybe I will turn into my Mom..who wears almost ALL purple! I will be the one next to her wearing BLUE! lolol)but my house is more subdued colors. I like quilting of ALL kinds. I love the over the top quilting..but not on bed quilts. For bed quilts I like to do a lighter quilting and alot of pantographs. Even with a lower loft batt, they have more poof. Isn't it fun that there is room for all types of quilters!? Love that! In my small quilt group, we run the gamut. I love to see what everyone is working on whether its my type of quilting/colors/pattern or not. I come home and RUN to the sewing room to get started!
Old 04-04-2013, 11:13 AM

Love all colors really but lately reds and batiks are really drawing me. As far as types of quilts, love scrappy the best.