Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Come out! Come out, whoever you are!!!!! >

Come out! Come out, whoever you are!!!!!

Come out! Come out, whoever you are!!!!!

Old 08-20-2009, 07:57 AM

One year. My grandmother made beautiful quilts and won grand prize at the county fair one year for her double wedding ring. My aunt also makes beautiful quilts. I always wanted to learn and then took a non-credit course at our local community college. Now, if I'm not quilting, I'm thinking about quilting. I love it. I feel as if I was born to quilt.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:07 AM

Hi all, I'm a newbie too (I guess...see the rest of the story)...Quilted my first quilt for a gift for my Mom (machine pieced & hand quilted...probably queen size) about 30 yrs ago, if you can call that newbie. Made my 2nd quilt (all machine done) 60"x60" for friend's new baby about 2 yrs ago. But I've sewn off & on all my life...well, since grade school. Am now SO EXCITED about quilting & just bought the fabric (hardly any stash) for a king sz quilt for our bed. DH is SO SWEET, just bought me a longarm. Supposed to be shipped tomorrow....don't know WHERE we can put it! But we'll find some place FOR SURE!

Thanks for letting me share. Ramona in Mobile
Old 08-20-2009, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by ramonasct
Hi all, I'm a newbie too (I guess...see the rest of the story)...Quilted my first quilt for a gift for my Mom (machine pieced & hand quilted...probably queen size) about 30 yrs ago, if you can call that newbie. Made my 2nd quilt (all machine done) 60"x60" for friend's new baby about 2 yrs ago. But I've sewn off & on all my life...well, since grade school. Am now SO EXCITED about quilting & just bought the fabric (hardly any stash) for a king sz quilt for our bed. DH is SO SWEET, just bought me a longarm. Supposed to be shipped tomorrow....don't know WHERE we can put it! But we'll find some place FOR SURE!

Thanks for letting me share. Ramona in Mobile
Oh you are so lucky -- Getting a long arm -- how special is that???

Maybe you need to take out entire kitchen to make room:roll: :roll:

Old 08-20-2009, 11:36 AM

I started quilting when my children were young to make them quilts for their beds..that was in the days when you cut with a scissors and marked everything..I let it lapse for some years and now I am retired yeaaaah...

I have been into cross stitching for some years but decided it was time to go back to the quilting...WELL there are rotary cutters? rulers? templates and patterns galore..quilt shock...however there are also absolutely beautiful fabrics and colours...and easy patterns for beginners like me...

I have been quilting now for 2 years with lots of classes and lots of research on the computer and I now have tons of fabric and patterns and usually don't know what to try first.

I have done 2 small quilts for my grandchildren and am looking forward to doing some bags in the near future...
Old 08-20-2009, 12:03 PM

I howled when I read your reply! That's a GREAT IDEA! Hmmmm...wonder what DH will say......I HAVE thought of taking over the living room since we never use it and moving my sewing room in there! Not many use the front door anyway!

Ramona in Mobile
Old 08-20-2009, 01:16 PM

My grandmother taught me to sew when I was little kid, 60+ years ago. I didn't play dolls but I sure had well dressed cats and they even had a little quilt. I lost count over the years of the quilts I've made and gave away and even sold a few. There isn't enough time in the day for all the neat quilt projects. Welcome Newbies, your life will never be the same!
Old 08-20-2009, 01:16 PM

My grandmother taught me to sew when I was little kid, 60+ years ago. I didn't play dolls but I sure had well dressed cats and they even had a little quilt. I lost count over the years of the quilts I've made and gave away and even sold a few. There isn't enough time in the day for all the neat quilt projects. Welcome Newbies, your life will never be the same!
Old 08-20-2009, 02:00 PM

HI I made my first quilt in Feb.I took a class on making a take 5 .I was down sized in Feb and figured that was the sign to start working on quilts for my kids ,grandkids ,and greatgrandkids. The first great grand will be here March 8th 2010. I have been collecting quilt mags and pattern for a long time.I Use to make all my childrens clothing when they were small and wedding ,bridesmaids dresses and prom and dance dresses Have always sewn but quilting is were i want to be right now. And i have truly enjoyed and learned so much from all of you.Big pat on the back to all of you. Sandy :D
Old 08-20-2009, 04:42 PM

I started quilting last summer by making a quilted door hanger for my mother's assisted living room door. Soon after that I went to a funeral for my friend's grandmother. The family had hung her quilts all over the church alter, steps, rails, etc. I was very touched to see her casket surrounded by many hours of her love as well as her legacy that she was leaving to her children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren.

Soon after the funeral I went to my first quilting class and am now about to complete my second fullsize quilt. I can only hope that my family treasures my creations sometime in the future.

Kaye in Georgia
Old 08-20-2009, 05:07 PM

One year here. I retired last August and swore I would learn to sew. I bought a cheaper Singer machine 6 mos before retirement in anticipation! I had to read the manual to run the thing. Never sewed anything in my life. After one quilt class, I was off and running.