Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Comment on the Tutorial Section of the site

For a while now many members have been posting links to remote sites in the Tutorial section even though this is stated on the entry tab "Lessons posted/uploaded by our members. (not links to remote sites)".

I much prefer seeing the tutorials done by members even though the photography may not always be the best and there may be typos. It's generous of members to share remote site tutorial finds, but they should be posted here in Main...in my opinion and not cluttering up the Tutorial section...my 2 cents on that.

I guess I'm a little different ... if I'm looking for a tutorial, I like to know I can go to one place and find them all.

I can then decipher whether I want the one created by a board member or one from another site. Or .... as in most cases, I will review them all as they will each have something extra!

Quote Originally Posted by Lainee
    For a while now many members have been posting links to remote sites in the Tutorial section even though this is stated on the entry tab "Lessons posted/uploaded by our members. (not links to remote sites)".

I much prefer seeing the tutorials done by members even though the photography may not always be the best and there may be typos. It's generous of members to share remote site tutorial finds, but they should be posted here in Main...in my opinion and not cluttering up the Tutorial section...my 2 cents on that.
    Actually they should probably be posted in the links/resources section of the board, not the Main section.

Quote Originally Posted by qbquilts

Actually they should probably be posted in the links/resources section of the board, not the Main section.
    Ditto.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    I guess I'm a little different ... if I'm looking for a tutorial, I like to know I can got to one place and find them all.

I can then decipher whether I want the one created by a board member or one from another site. Or .... as in most cases, I will review them all as they will each have something extra!
    My thoughts too. But I do get a little confused sometimes going into a topic and wondering why it wasn't elsewhere. I am so guilty of doing this too! Thanks moderators for watching this and putting it where it belongs-

Guess I feel different. If we relied on the members tutorials I would never learn as much as I have since it would limit the number.

I guess I'm a little different ... if I'm looking for a tutorial, I like to know I can go to one place and find them all.

I agree totally

Power Poster
    I very rarely follow a link to another site. I do have a good virus program but I don't want to take the chance of messing up my computer. I also don't usually download anything. I am computer challenged so I err on the side of caution.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marknfran
    I much prefer seeing the tutorials done by members even though the photography may not always be the best and there may be typos.
    Guess I feel different. If we relied on the members tutorials I would never learn as much as I have since it would limit the number.
    I agree with this! I actually became a member of this board because someone here linked to a tutorial I wrote. I was unaware of the board until this happened. As Martha would say, it's a Good Thing! :)

You are absolutely right...didn't even think about that section because it's a place I've never looked in...would rather search out my tutorial options if I'm trying something new and need help.

I went back and looked at 4-5 pages of the Tutuorial section and not one gave any indication in the title that it was a link to someone elses tutorial. A lot of member make many interesting original items (I'm not one of them) or have many cleaver shortcuts (again not one of them) that many members ask them to share...it just seams to me that this is the proper place for it and the links section is for remote tutorials and such...OK I'm up to 5 cents by now.

Quote Originally Posted by qbquilts

I totally posted this wrong...i see no harm in the current structure of the tutorials, it is our own choice after bringing up a topic whether to watch it entirely and bring up other links....isn't it?

Blog Entries
    ditto

Banned
    Blog Entries
    lately very few posts are going where they should...personally I don't think ad that take you to craigslist or ebay should be in our classified section!

as for the tutes, I figures ALL tutes went there..but suppose they could go to links/resources...and if you are looking for something particular there is always the SEARCH box at the top of every page!

I prefer all the tutorials in one place, rarely look at the other section. I appreciate the links in the tutorial section.

SMR
    Lately I've noticed topics listed in tutes that have sounded like something I'd like to learn only to find the person is asking for help to to something or ideas. These types of topics do't belong in tutes and the moderators do a fantastic job but don't always catch them. I alos prefer things that actually show me how o do somethg not a link because my compter is really picky about what links it will go to.

If people would have the common courtesy to put a subject in their title, it would alleviate a lot of poking around. Subjects such as "Need Help", "Found It", and so forth, without a clue what the subject is should not be allowed. I don't have time to play childish guessing games. Sorry for the vent but when I see thread after thread without a clue, I leave the forum and go play with adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan
    I very rarely follow a link to another site. I do have a good virus program but I don't want to take the chance of messing up my computer. I also don't usually download anything. I am computer challenged so I err on the side of caution.
    You can always try to go to the linked site by hand typing in the address in a new window. I too am semi-computer challenged and my daughter taught me that trick (well that and a REALLY good firewall).

The site subjects are just fine the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Margie
    I prefer all the tutorials in one place, rarely look at the other section. I appreciate the links in the tutorial section.
    I like in one place also. Maybe some can be convinced to include "link" in the titles so if some don't like to follow links they can avoid those.

actually, having been a board administrator elsewhere, i know that there is a feature that admin can enable to make subforums with in another forum. i.e.
    Tutorials
    Member Tutorials
    Off-Site Tutorials

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LLWinston44

I agree totally
    Ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    lately very few posts are going where they should...
    You mean like comments about the tutorial section of the board being posted to Main? :lol:

I really enjoy having "guest" tutorials throughout. I can answer my questions about the topic by simply opening the link. Sorry, but my mind is not as organized as it should be and I have found some wonderful information by accident.

Blog Entries
    Can we all say "WAA WAA WAA WAA" and bring out the crying towel since there are several this morning who are in a whiney mood. Personally I like the tutes no matter where they are found. I agree with Veryvirginia my mind is always in a clutter and I have come across some very unique stuff just by clicking. A big round of applause to those who do the work of keeping the Quilting Board going!!!

I just moved from Ottawa IL. to Sycamore Il.
    Blog Entries
    Tartan, It happened to me.We must have a good virus program because my computer shut down in a snap and my husband had to get me going again. Now I'm afraid to go anywhere but the board posts.Also not a computer savy person. FayZ

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast