Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: common size for D9P squares?

Taught this to my Sew and Reap community quilt project group, we have used 5 and 6 inch blocks so far. Some scrapy and one with yellows and blues and one with earth tones and one with purples and pink. Three of them we put sashing around the four blocks we made from the nine patch. Turned out beautiful. I do not know how to post pictures on here. Have to see if my hubby can show me. The tutorial I watched the women used 10 inch blocks. Have fun!!

I had enough left over quilting material to cut 4 inch squares for a DP9 for a pillow top to compliment a quilt.

yes , I used 6 1/2 in squares -- I made 5 blocks and then cut -- they are middle of my quilt with a border of little sunnbonnet sues and then a border of big sues and flowers and then 10minute blocks on top and bottom, making a 80 by 103 in quilt for my twin bed

pix of d9p
    Name:  Attachment-176366.jpe
Views: 18
Size:  40.8 KB

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Abby'smom
    yes , I used 6 1/2 in squares -- I made 5 blocks and then cut -- they are middle of my quilt with a border of little sunnbonnet sues and then a border of big sues and flowers and then 10minute blocks on top and bottom, making a 80 by 103 in quilt for my twin bed
    some day in my lifetime >. I really want to do a sunbonnet sue !! thanks for sharing !

I had some scraps(don't ask what size can't remember) but didn't want to throw them out, so made small 9 patch out of them. Didn't like that either so made D9P and loved them. I framed the small 6" blocks with a larger sashing to outline them, then used a inner strip dark blue so I have a strip quilt. I am using that for my hubbby's favorite wool blanket which has gotten really ugly over the yrs, but he loves it and its still in good shape. So will use it for batting and tie it.

Blog Entries
    I used charm packs. But I think you could use any size. Let us see when you get done. I love the pattern!!

I used 5 inch blocks and my final block was 13 inches square. My avatar shows the finished queen size quilt made with these blocks.

Thanks Suzanne!

I just started one and am using 4 1/2. Decided to go smaller because of the way I want the solid color to look when I cut and re-piece it. Think a lot depends on the fabric you use. This one is just two - a flower and a solid.

Banned
    The 6" one I saw wasn't as effective
    I use 5" and 4" patches

Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneG
    I'm working on one now and I cut my squares 5 inches, and that will yield a 6.5" finished block. But just for comparison, if you cut your squares 6", you'll yield 8" finished blocks, and if you cut your squares 7", you'll get a 9.5" finished block. Hope this helps some! :-D
    This is great info! Thanks so much!

Banned
    Liberty Hill - Central TEXAS Hill Country
    Quote Originally Posted by chairjogger
    I love the utube on the d9p. What is a common size of one square. I know that 9 are sewn together before cutting.

I use 6 1/2? anyone else chime in on this? getting ready to start another one.. before I cut anything love to know what others do.

Thanks,
    Ell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEjZO...eature=channel
    LOVE this technique - saved it to my favorites - & will be great to play w/ideas & colors.

THANKS FOR POSTING.

Have a blessed day - Hugs :lol:

I have not been really crazy about D9D but this one is so cute! Thank you so much for posting this!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jillaine
    At first I wasn't overwhelmed by the disappearing nine-patch, until I found someone using only three fabrics instead of nine. THIS is stunning:

http://supermomnocape.wordpress.com/...easy-projects/

Scroll down. you'll see it.
    After looking at the 3 fabric d9p, I tried to find any info on the sizes that the pieces were cut, any idea? I'd like to try one.

thank you soooo much for asking this...I was doing some research so that i could do a D9P and I knew I didn't want it to small, but....well anyway....thanks for asking it and reading through the responses, i got my answer too!!

I have another twist to the D9p make the nine patch cut into two ways than cut from corner to corner and set together as you wish. I don't have one made am just getting started and I cut the blocks in 8 inch blocks so can't really tell you how it turns out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel Hoffman
    I have another twist to the D9p make the nine patch cut into two ways than cut from corner to corner and set together as you wish. I don't have one made am just getting started and I cut the blocks in 8 inch blocks so can't really tell you how it turns out yet.
    Can't wait to see this!

At first I wasn't overwhelmed by the disappearing nine-patch, until I found someone using only three fabrics instead of nine. THIS is stunning:

Jillaine, thats so funny...I just posted basically the same note about not loving d9p until I saw it in 3 colors. Great minds think alike!! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by chairjogger
    I love the utube on the d9p. What is a common size of one square. I know that 9 are sewn together before cutting.

I use 6 1/2? anyone else chime in on this? getting ready to start another one.. before I cut anything love to know what others do.

Thanks,
    Ell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEjZO...eature=channel
    I was able to count the squares before she started shuffling the pieces all over creation. They look like 4 1/2 blocks to me.

I have made two, one with Moda charms and the others with running eights, cut square. I like the running eights, you just need to cut the strips on the length then in squares. I also needed to add one more fabric.

LOVE this idea too!! I haven't tried a DP9 yet....very much a Newbie to Quiltin'.......looks like I can do tho! YAY!

Thanks for sharing this 3 fabrics idea......feelin' brave now! lol

I just finished one and posted pictures and I used either 4 1/2 or 5 inche squares. I look at the 3 fabrics and that does look nice. great idea

I agree with you. I made one with 6" blocks and I only used 3 fabrics-- (aBlack design, a red design, and a gray/white design). I absolutely love it as I often think "less is more" for some quilt patterns.

We used 8" for charity quilts. It worked out well!

Senior Member MomtoBostonTerriers's Avatar

Jillaine,

I'm with you -- disappearing nine patch never caught my fancy. But I love that example with 3 fabrics. Wow! Thank you so much for sharing this link. I might be a new d9p convert.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast