Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Computer machines left in trunks

Cool Computer machines left in trunks

I was talking to a friend's son who is a Genius at an Apple Store. He was saying is is NOT A GOOD IDEA for me to leave my computer machine in the trunk when it gets cold outside. Said that computers are ruined every day doing that and thinks it might also affect a sewing machine.
    Just thought I should pass this info on.

Good to know. Thanks.

Thanks. I thought it was just the heat that was bad for them.

Computers like a nice stable temperature. That is why the mainframes/servers have their own HVAC systems in big companies.

Temperature changes cause condensation due to fluxuation in humidity levels.....bad for computers and sewing machines.
    Blessed are they that can laugh at themselves, For they shall never cease to be amused.

http://quiltsnmore.webs.com

Blog Entries
    I'd never leave my computerized machine in my car for several reasons. First, I'm Canadian, so dealing with cold winters and computers don't like cold. Even my old manual (vintage) machines don't like the cold, they have to warm up to room temperature or the belt inside just won't run.
    Also, cars get broken into. I've had a theft from my vehicle (actually they took the whole car!) and would be devastated if my expensive machine went on a joyride.
    Also, computerized machines don't like to fall over. Unless you had it tied down in the trunk, I could fall over when you go around corners or if you have to slam on the brakes. I may go overboard, but if I have to put my machine on the seat in the car, it wears a seatbelt!
    I used to be "hot", now it's just "hot flashes!"

Blog Entries
    I'm lost. Why would you keep a sewing machine in the car? The only time mine ever goes for a ride is when I take it in for service or when it goes to retreats with me. In both instances it sits on the floor in the back seat and is removed immediately.

I don't leave my sewing machines in the car. Yes, the temperature fluctuations are bad for them. But worse, I have separation anxiety! Can't sew without 'em!
    Quilt Mom

Going through life one stitch at a time

I take mine to Arizona every winter, and yes it wears a seatbelt, or is in a wheeled tote secured in the back of Trail Blazer. It comes into the hotel room every night we're on the road, not only because of theft, but the cold nights on the way down. Would not be a happy camper if I couldn't use it when we got there.
    Laurie

Power Poster
    Leave my baby in the car? NEVER!

My dh said that was because the cold effects the metallic parts and produces moisture. That is not a good thing.

heh, I thought the same thing when I read this - I'd never leave my baby in the car, and when it goes for a ride it has to have the seatbelt on!

When I do go on retreats, my machine is always the last thing to go into my car, and then the first thing to get out. I put mine behind the front seat and wedge it in by moving the front seat back as far as it can go.

Blog Entries
    also don't leave them in too much heat! computers don't like heat either.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Blog Entries
    I leave a Janome Jem in the trunk of my car. It's in a hard molded case and the case is put in a large box lined with thick styrofoam (came from an overnight shipment of frozen meat) It has been in my trunk for several years and it's what I use on my sew days and classes at least once a week sometimes more. So far so good. It isn't a dream machine but sews great for what I use it for. I keep a tote of quilting notions, table top ironing board and big cutting mat in the trunk too and still have plenty of room for groceries and other stuff. I have a Cadallac and bought it just for the trunk space. Have you seen the trunk space in one of these? Amazing. And it's pure comfort driving too.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I have friends that leave theirs in the car in the garage for bees and classes.
    I'll let them know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    I'm lost. Why would you keep a sewing machine in the car? The only time mine ever goes for a ride is when I take it in for service or when it goes to retreats with me. In both instances it sits on the floor in the back seat and is removed immediately.

Thanks ladies/gents. I now do not feel so bad about buying my Bernina a special suitcase. She came with a hard case but she also travels in the black padded and goes in a seat belt. I am so glad others understand. Teresa

Blog Entries
    Yes, this is very true. You should keep all your electronics in a place with no large temp fluctuation. Also, you need to be concerned with humidity. I keep a dehumidifier going year-round in my basement sewing studio.

Thanks for the information, though I don't usually leave anything computerized in my auto, now I never will.
    Dee

Today is the day the Lord has made..Let us be glad and rejoice in it!!

I never knew this. Thanks for the info.

I can't imagine leaving my sewing machine in the car for any reason. If I even need to take it in for service, it gets into the car when I do and out of the car as soon as we get there. I'd be lost without it.

Good advice! Too hot or too cold can affect the computer section of the machine!
    Sharon (Gypsylady)

I don't leave my sewing machine in the car but my DH left the laptop in the trunk for over a year. Surprisingly it still works. I didn't think it would after being left thru a very cold winter and a hotter than usual summer. It was in a case. I don't know if that made a difference or not.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

I LOVE EACH OF YOU ANSWERS, I just don't feel safe leaving much of anything in my car, the joy ride is to common these days.
    Happy sewing everyone.
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

Good idea and remember that computer sewing machines stuck in a "hot" trunk will ruin them too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast