Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Computerized Quilting - is it cheating? >

Computerized Quilting - is it cheating?

Computerized Quilting - is it cheating?

Old 02-18-2011, 04:17 PM

I'd be quite the hypocrite if I did think computerized quilting was cheating because I make quilt designs and ink and color my comics using PhotoShop on my computer. Its not cheating because there's still a certain amount of skill needed to run a computerized quilting system. Its just another way of getting the job done.

Our LQS has a computerized long arm and I remember she first opened her son was doing the quilts because he was better at it than her. She had to kind of force herself to learn the machine more when her son found employment. Computerized does not translate into "humanless". You still have to manually pick out the design, figure out how big it will be, where it will go on the quilt, and observe the process to make sure the machine isn't screwing things up. Its also not fool proof either---once I walked in there to find her ripping out stitches from a quilt's border because it wasn't stitched in the right place.

If computerized quilting is dubbed "cheating" because its "easier" then a lot of things quilters use should also be considered cheating because of how they have made different aspects of quilting easier: electric sewing machines, rotary cutters, different sized rulers, store bought acrylic templates, computer programs that make paper templates in any size you want, panels, jelly rolls, honey buns, turnovers, charm packs, any precuts, home versions of machines that make precuts, and perhaps processes that make manufacturing cotton fabric easier and using prints and dye colors that weren't available in the Civil War Era. Anyone who calls it cheating might as well go back to scissors and hand needles.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:33 PM
Power Poster

I don't think it's cheating at all!! There are many roads to a beautiful quilt :D:D
Old 02-18-2011, 09:20 PM

There is no "cheating" in quilting. You are the artist and you are entitled to do what you want at any stage of your quilt. If others think it is cheating, it is their problem. There are no quilt police and no one has the right to rain on your parade, so chin up and keep on quilting!
Old 02-19-2011, 02:53 AM

Part of the problem may be that many judges aren't qualified to judge different types of quilting.Not long ago quilts were either hand or machine quilted.Now, components might be machine made,then hand quilted.Look at all the diff ways of doing applique.Even quilting with a sewing machine has diff results than a LA machine.Art quilts are not meant to be used,so what is their catagory? Quite a kettle of fish!

I think it's more a question of deciding what each categorie should include & finding judges that can judge. JMO
Old 02-19-2011, 02:59 AM

I think it is only cheating if it is a test and quilting is not a test. If it is a quilt show and it violates the rules that is different, because it is a test and the judges are looking for the quilts to fall within certain parameters. But in everyday life, whatever works for you.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:57 AM

I'd say it's a personal way of doing things. We are all different, we have different likes and dislikes.Who's to say I must do it your way. I agree in a Quilt Show, it should be in a different class.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:12 AM

FYI: My computerized designs were drawn by me originally. Have you ever bought an art "print"?
Old 02-19-2011, 04:24 AM

Is it cheating to sew anything that is NOT hand sewn?
Old 02-19-2011, 05:44 AM

As has been said before there are no quilt police, each to their own.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:53 AM

isn't it like embroidery with a machine?