Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 126

Thread: Connecting Threads Fabric

  1. #101
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,838
    Quote Originally Posted by JANW
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    They're outsourcing to Indonesia. You'll notice that it only says using USA grown cotton now....
    I really don't think that is true, because they have only been able to make this happen in the past year and sent out notifications by email to customers, but I would be interested in your source of information
    My "source" is their website. LOL. http://www.ConnectingThreads.com/col...ics__L117.html Prices have come down because of the outsourcing to Indonesia.

  2. #102
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    They're outsourcing to Indonesia. You'll notice that it only says using USA grown cotton now....
    Isn't that only the batik fabrics?

  3. #103
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,838
    Quote Originally Posted by moonwolf23
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    They're outsourcing to Indonesia. You'll notice that it only says using USA grown cotton now....
    Isn't that only the batik fabrics?
    There are lots of threads about Connecting Threads and the change in their website about the "made in the USA" and outsourcing. Do a search using the search feature above to read all about it. Here is the most recent thread about it... http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-60296-1.htm

  4. #104
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    343
    I'm going to have to agree with this poster in that thread.
    ======================
    akrogirl
    a regular here
    Joined: Jan 11, 10
    Messages: 99
    Location: Arizona
    Online

    Sorry, but it does diminish them as a supplier as far as I am concerned. I bought from them hoping to support US industry.

    Are there any manufacturers left who have not outsourced all their production?
    =============================

    One of the reasons I loved them so much was that it supported U.S industry. I'm ok with them outsourcing the batik stuff, but not ok with them outsourcing the rest of it. I'll gladly pay 5.96 a yard if it's made in the U.S.

  5. #105
    Super Member Shorebird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    Posts
    1,536
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Marie
    Has anyone purchased any of their kits and/or made something using their material? I am thinking about buying one of their kits and was wondering what others thought about their material. Lisa
    I think they are one of the BEST...their fabric quality is great, prices are low, fast shipping and great customer service........BTW - they now have some great Batiks at less than $6 per yard!!

  6. #106
    Senior Member JANW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    northern, CA
    Posts
    734
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Quote Originally Posted by moonwolf23
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    They're outsourcing to Indonesia. You'll notice that it only says using USA grown cotton now....
    Isn't that only the batik fabrics?
    There are lots of threads about Connecting Threads and the change in their website about the "made in the USA" and outsourcing. Do a search using the search feature above to read all about it. Here is the most recent thread about it... http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-60296-1.htm
    I see what you mean, but it appears that it is sent there for the type of batik design they have developed. I would call that imported rather than outsourced.

  7. #107
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,838
    Quote Originally Posted by JANW
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Quote Originally Posted by moonwolf23
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    They're outsourcing to Indonesia. You'll notice that it only says using USA grown cotton now....
    Isn't that only the batik fabrics?
    There are lots of threads about Connecting Threads and the change in their website about the "made in the USA" and outsourcing. Do a search using the search feature above to read all about it. Here is the most recent thread about it... http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-60296-1.htm
    I see what you mean, but it appears that it is sent there for the type of batik design they have developed. I would call that imported rather than outsourced.
    Read the thread I linked to and the others about it, to be an informed consumer.

  8. #108
    Senior Member JANW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    northern, CA
    Posts
    734
    LOL do you think I'm not an informed consumer? I'm fine with it and will definately continue to buy their fabric. I guess each person will have to make their own decision.

  9. #109
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,838
    I will continue to buy it too, but it's not just batiks that are being outsourced. I will buy it because I like it and find a good value with it. But I won't spin words to make it seem like it's made in the USA, because it's simply not true. THe only thing made in the USA is the cotton for the material.

  10. #110
    Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Beaverton,Michigan
    Posts
    791
    Blog Entries
    10
    I don't about where everybody else shops but in reg.material stores they arent USA either if you read the labels Joanns is one. I say shop and buy what ever you like wheather it's cheaper or expensive. I prefer cheaper myself if you want to go expensive thats fine too. to each his-her own. Thats just my opinion

  11. #111
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilter Day-by-Day
    I don't about where everybody else shops but in reg.material stores they arent USA either if you read the labels Joanns is one. I say shop and buy what ever you like wheather it's cheaper or expensive. I prefer cheaper myself if you want to go expensive thats fine too. to each his-her own. Thats just my opinion
    Wait are you saying that Joanns stuff is made in the U.S?

  12. #112
    Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Beaverton,Michigan
    Posts
    791
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by moonwolf23
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilter Day-by-Day
    I don't about where everybody else shops but in reg.material stores they arent USA either if you read the labels Joanns is one. I say shop and buy what ever you like wheather it's cheaper or expensive. I prefer cheaper myself if you want to go expensive thats fine too. to each his-her own. Thats just my opinion
    Wait are you saying that Joanns stuff is made in the U.S?
    No read it again, I said it is not made in US.

  13. #113
    Super Member daisey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    colorado
    Posts
    1,701
    Here is an idea, there have been many times where I like the fabric in the kits just not the pattern,,,If you look at the yardage they give you alot and You can buy the kits many times at 40-50% off and just use the fabric...So I have many kits down in my stash...some will be their patterns and some I will be just using their uncut yardage they send...its soft and nice fabric,,,sometimes I wish their colors were more vibrant though...their thread is great and very inexpensive!

  14. #114
    Bev
    Bev is offline
    Super Member Bev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by daisey
    Here is an idea, there have been many times where I like the fabric in the kits just not the pattern,,,If you look at the yardage they give you alot and You can buy the kits many times at 40-50% off and just use the fabric...So I have many kits down in my stash...some will be their patterns and some I will be just using their uncut yardage they send...its soft and nice fabric,,,sometimes I wish their colors were more vibrant though...their thread is great and very inexpensive!
    That's a great idea! Why didn't I ever think of it! Next time I see a big sale on kits I'll keep this in mind.
    I also agree with you on the lack of vibrancy of most of their fabrics. It's the one thing I've noticed that isn't appealing to me. I'd love it if they had some variations of bright and dramatic colors. But I think their color offerings are a big part of the personality of their site. I'm not saying I don't like most of their colors though. For the times I want to make a quiet quilt, or an old fashioned looking one, these fabrics are what I turn to. 8-)

  15. #115

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    6
    I have ordered from them and so has some of my ASG sisters. They are equal to what you would pay $10 for in a quilting store. The kits are an excellent value!!!
    Fran in WA

  16. #116
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by daisey
    Here is an idea, there have been many times where I like the fabric in the kits just not the pattern,,,If you look at the yardage they give you alot and You can buy the kits many times at 40-50% off and just use the fabric...So I have many kits down in my stash...some will be their patterns and some I will be just using their uncut yardage they send...its soft and nice fabric,,,sometimes I wish their colors were more vibrant though...their thread is great and very inexpensive!
    That's a great idea! Why didn't I ever think of it! Next time I see a big sale on kits I'll keep this in mind.
    I also agree with you on the lack of vibrancy of most of their fabrics. It's the one thing I've noticed that isn't appealing to me. I'd love it if they had some variations of bright and dramatic colors. But I think their color offerings are a big part of the personality of their site. I'm not saying I don't like most of their colors though. For the times I want to make a quiet quilt, or an old fashioned looking one, these fabrics are what I turn to. 8-)
    Have you seen their After Hours collection? Or their recent foray into batiks?

  17. #117
    Bev
    Bev is offline
    Super Member Bev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,188
    Have you seen their After Hours collection? Or their recent foray into batiks?[/quote]
    Yeah, I'm aware that they've started stocking Batiks. However, I was on a batik toot last year, for a queen size I was making, and I overstocked my stash with them. Now I have to find ways to use up all the uncut ones as well as all the scraps.
    And no, I haven't seen their "After Hours" collection. Maybe I'm missing something great here?? Thanks for the heads up. 8-)

  18. #118
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    343
    [/quote]
    Yeah, I'm aware that they've started stocking Batiks. However, I was on a batik toot last year, for a queen size I was making, and I overstocked my stash with them. Now I have to find ways to use up all the uncut ones as well as all the scraps.
    And no, I haven't seen their "After Hours" collection. Maybe I'm missing something great here?? Thanks for the heads up. 8-)[/quote]

    -----------------------------------

    Ok I give up on making that look like it's quoted.

    I'll be happy to take your scraps off your hands. Evil grin lol.

  19. #119
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    383
    After Hours is black, red and white.
    I really like their Sweet & Sour, Sip of Summer, and Cheep Talk collections - they are all pretty colorful. So is the new Christmas one, Wrapping it Up.

  20. #120
    Super Member daisey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    colorado
    Posts
    1,701
    There was one line I got last year that was nice and bright and I think there are a few nice ones out now but the fabric is soft and a nice weight.

  21. #121
    Super Member daisey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    colorado
    Posts
    1,701
    Im like cheep talk and yes the winters are alwyas pretty colorrful,,,sweet and sour and the summer line? has some nice color too.

  22. #122
    Bev
    Bev is offline
    Super Member Bev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by moonwolf23
    [/quote
    Ok I give up on making that look like it's quoted.
    I'll be happy to take your scraps off your hands. Evil grin lol.
    That's very kind of you. :-D
    If I don't start on something soon, I may take advantage of your friendly offer. :lol:

  23. #123
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by moonwolf23
    [/quote
    Ok I give up on making that look like it's quoted.
    I'll be happy to take your scraps off your hands. Evil grin lol.
    That's very kind of you. :-D
    If I don't start on something soon, I may take advantage of your friendly offer. :lol:
    Tries to look anything but giddy, and fails miserably. lol

  24. #124
    Super Member Juliebelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,263
    I use them a lot and have never had a problem with anything

  25. #125
    Power Poster ube quilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    10,480
    Blog Entries
    31
    Order your project and test the material for quality. If you like it great. If not Return it with an explaination. My rule of thumb for good material is if I can see my flesh through it, it is too thin to use and tug the warp and weft and bias a little. if it stretches too much for my liking I don't use it. Good luck!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.