Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To continue or should I scrap and start over >

To continue or should I scrap and start over

To continue or should I scrap and start over

Old 06-08-2010, 06:30 PM

As long as all the blocks are the same size I would not rip them out again since you already did this once before. I would keep going but make the other blocks the right way and figure out how to put the "wrong" blocks in the quilt somehow. Kind of like a design change. If you don't like it, you can always keep it. One thing for sure, the design will be unique and gorgeous at the same time. Good luck.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:34 PM

I recently went through a similar situation. I though I would never get it finished. I had to skin the quilt three times. I finally got it right after a lot of emotional torment. But I persevered with great results. I had to post on the board for encouragement and take a two day break from it. I pieced some pot holders for a few hours and went back to it. I admire your perseverance. You are a true quilter. Best wishes and I would love to see it when it is completed.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

Always had a problem with log cabin. Put light or dark on the wrong side. Now I do a sketch and have it beside my machine. I do refer to it. Did so much reverse sewing ie. ripping had no choice.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:04 PM

I'm making a log cabin quilt too. If you're completely frustrated, then make one block at a time. It might take a little longer, but not as long as starting over.
If you're not that frustrated, then make one block as a master block where you can look at it as you get ready to sew the strips onto your chain of blocks.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

I am a little different than everyone else. If I am that frustrated, I will begin all over again. Then when I am calm and collected, I will pick up the first, unsew and resew. I just can't continue on something at the time that I am frustrated with. It always seems much easier and less tramatic later on...
Old 06-09-2010, 02:36 PM

I'm with you all the way on this one! My current EFP (just coined that one) Extraordinarily Frustrating Project... is a log cabin too. I have different problems with mine, but the frustration level is the same. I had mine stitched together (as in thought it was nearly ready to sandwich) and discovered that not all the blocks were the same size and were not laying flat either...BIG OOPS! Back to the seam ripper for me. Good luck on finishing it the way you want it!
Old 06-09-2010, 02:45 PM

I am getting ready to tackle my first LOG CABIN quilt so I am really anxious to see your photos... would it be possible to show photos of the "mistakes" too so I could learn from them. I am a little intimidated about doing the log cabin pattern though I love it! THANKS in advance.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

CoriAmD,

I have never used the Quilt In a Day book, but I used the pattern from Quilter's Chache and I didn't have any problems. Good Luck!
Old 06-09-2010, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by CoriAmD
I am getting ready to tackle my first LOG CABIN quilt so I am really anxious to see your photos... would it be possible to show photos of the "mistakes" too so I could learn from them. I am a little intimidated about doing the log cabin pattern though I love it! THANKS in advance.
I was trying to download the pictures but they are lost in the vast void in my computer (can't find them in other words) good luck to you in your "log Cabin Quilt" Will keep working on finding the pictures. All my blocks were taken apart before I took pictures. Sorry
Old 06-09-2010, 03:06 PM

Ok A quick update. I have successfully finished 3 blocks. On my 2nd one realized that for some reason ( maybe because the directions are for chain sewing ) the blocks are not sewn in a circle which is how I was taught to do log cabins. Does anyone know if this is how it is? I am using the Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day Log Cabin. Or am I just reading the instructions wrong? It is almost like you are sewing the sides and then the top and bottom, I just follow the first block I made right and don't look at the instructions anymore. It will take me a little longer but at least I know I wont be taking multiple blocs apart.