Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To continue or should I scrap and start over >

To continue or should I scrap and start over

To continue or should I scrap and start over

Old 06-10-2010, 06:49 AM

So what should I do? redo them or just continue? I am starting to hate everything about this quilt. I would scrap it and just put it away but it is a gift and she wanted purple. i think my material is going to fall apart.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingfan
OK I made three and I still see a mistake. what do you think? I would have to move the last dark... or should I just continue. Someone said that it was a versatile block and I could do what I wanted, but do not know if this will effect the total look of the quilt when I try to lay it out. I do not know why I am having such a hard time with this pattern. UHHHHH I though I was done with all my mistakes.
I don't think it's wrong. If you'll notice, after the center red/white, and the next white, you are sewing over 2 seams. Your block looks fine. You will see the 2 seams on each side that you sew on. It looks great!!
Old 06-10-2010, 06:57 AM

So what should I do? redo them or just continue? I am starting to hate everything about this quilt. I would scrap it and just put it away but it is a gift and she wanted purple. i think my material is going to fall apart.
Personally I would move the smaller stripe of dk purple to the other side of your lighter purple.
It's one of those blocks...it's confussing until it finally clicks...
And you say I got it!!!!
Old 06-10-2010, 06:57 AM

You have to keep the dk side dk & the light side light
Old 06-10-2010, 06:58 AM

Just Quilting on this Board has a great suggestion. I have made several Log Cabin quilts using Eleanor Burns' Quilt-in-a-Day book for the Log Cabin quilt and it is absolutely "fool proof," if you do as she instructs. It is so much faster having all of your strips lined up and then doing the "chain sewing." When you finish with the last strips, you have completed ALL of your blocks needed. Just keep your seams as accurate as possible. The Log Cabin pattern is beautiful and you will be pleased.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:00 AM

You could take 16 blocks you have already finished that you plan to unsew and make a smaller quilt incorporating the error. No one will know it except you.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Mona
You could take 16 blocks you have already finished that you plan to unsew and make a smaller quilt incorporating the error. No one will know it except you.
i only have 3 blocks made
:-(
Old 06-10-2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by SSTeacher
Just Quilting on this Board has a great suggestion. I have made several Log Cabin quilts using Eleanor Burns' Quilt-in-a-Day book for the Log Cabin quilt and it is absolutely "fool proof," if you do as she instructs. It is so much faster having all of your strips lined up and then doing the "chain sewing." When you finish with the last strips, you have completed ALL of your blocks needed. Just keep your seams as accurate as possible. The Log Cabin pattern is beautiful and you will be pleased.
i am using her book. i feel very" foolish ", :cry:
Old 06-10-2010, 07:56 AM

Sigh...I had the same problems with LC blocks until I started using the method that MadQuilter described. Her systematic way of piecing allowed me to finally be successful with the block.

Keep trying and don't give up.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:03 AM

OK I made three and I still see a mistake. what do you think? I would have to move the last dark... or should I just continue. Someone said that it was a versatile block and I could do what I wanted, but do not know if this will effect the total look of the quilt when I try to lay it out. I do not know why I am having such a hard time with this pattern. UHHHHH I though I was done with all my mistakes.
From looking at this block it looks like your mistakes start with the third log. (the second white log) One of your dark purples is on the wrong side too.

The way to do a log cabin is to always turn the block the same direction to put the next log on.