Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To continue or should I scrap and start over >

To continue or should I scrap and start over

To continue or should I scrap and start over

Old 06-10-2010, 08:10 AM

Lots of good advice on this one. I think I would just make them all different and call it scrappy! You may have just invented a NEW look for log cabin. Wish I lived closer, I would come help you! {{{{{{ HUGS}}}}}}
Old 06-10-2010, 01:17 PM

Send us a picture of what you have so far, the "right ones" and the "wrong ones" both.

Let's see what you mean. Might be you can go with what you have and call it "an original" - !!
Old 06-10-2010, 01:52 PM
Power Poster

I have studied your block. I think I have figured out what is different, but I may be wrong. If I am just ignore this, I don't want to confuse you more.
It looks like you put the first three together red and whites, then you added a light purple, dark purple, dark purple, then the other light purple. I don't know about her books, but I teach my students to go around in a circle. I would sew your block the following way: the red and white squares, second white, dark purple, dark purple, light purple, light purple, around and around. I don't know if this helps or not. I feel really bad that your are frustrated. I wish I lived closer and could help you, but there are quite a few states in between us. Just think, when you figure it out you will never forget. You might even google Free Log Cabin Quilt block patterns and just look at the directions and pictures you find. It might help to look at something besides her books for awhile. Just an idea...
Old 06-10-2010, 01:59 PM

Looking at the block you posted your first blue should have covered only the white strip and red center. Not only do I have a picture of the block in front of me but I write the number on the strip. Center is one, first light is 2, 2nd light is 3, first dark is 4, 2nd dark is 5, etc. Going in a circle like Sadiemae said.
Came up with this method because, like you, I always got lost when making log cabin blocks. Hope this is helpful. May in Jersey
Old 06-10-2010, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingfan
I am attempting to make a simple, log cabin quilt for a graduation gift for my best friends daughter. I have ripped it out 3 times already and now I am facing the 4th mistake I have made and have to rip the seems on 17 of the blocks again. I made one just find, since I kept trying to make them at the same time, and then would have to rip out 18 blocks. I decided that I would finish one block and then go from there. Did the one, decided it was not that hard so I would continue on and sure enough sewed the next seem on 17 blocks wrong. I want to scrap the whole thing and start over. I still need more fabric no matter what I decide to do. But now I have all this material cut into strips of different leanghts and will have to figure out what block I could do with them. Thanks for letting me vent. Think I will let it go for one more day and then decide what I am going to do. Will post pics later.
I would make a "master " of each block on paper, then copy them on the copier to paper-piecing paper, and paper piece the blocks. It might take longer to take out the paper, but all the pieces would be accurate.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:20 PM

I would purchase new fabric for the gift quilt, and using techniques suggested make a new quilt for the gift. Then, I would make a "new" block design by repeating the mistake on remaining blocks of the first quilt, and Voila!, you have a gift, you have a quilt and you've learned a lot. You might even like the mistake quilt better.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:28 PM

Eleanor Burns had an ecellent book on Log cabins and you do not have to cut strips to size (strip piecing). But right now you need to step back and breathe. I noticed that the more I screw up, the more I screw up. It is a vicious circle. Good Luck
Old 06-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Power Poster

quiltingfan is using this book.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:02 PM

When I do log cabins, I cut out the material for the squares I need, I sew on one strip of each color onto each squre in string method, iron group, that way I can allign them in the right direction for next strip color, I continue until all colors are added to all the squares, you can piece very quickly and before you know it you have alot of squares completed at the same time.Hope this helps..
Old 06-10-2010, 04:13 PM

And they said log cabin blocks are easy, LOL! May in Jersey