Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To continue or should I scrap and start over >

To continue or should I scrap and start over

To continue or should I scrap and start over

Old 06-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Power Poster

I think the log cabin lends itself to a variety of processes. The trick is: Once you pick a process, stick with it and don't change midstream.

One way to control the blocks and subsequent assembly is to sew one strip to the same side of another piece. When all these are done, stack them up in the same orientation. Then figure out where the next strip needs to go. TURN the entire stack in the direction so you always sew the strip on the correct side. Repeat with the stack.

It worked for me.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I think the log cabin lends itself to a variety of processes. The trick is: Once you pick a process, stick with it and don't change midstream.

One way to control the blocks and subsequent assembly is to sew one strip to the same side of another piece. When all these are done, stack them up in the same orientation. Then figure out where the next strip needs to go. TURN the entire stack in the direction so you always sew the strip on the correct side. Repeat with the stack.

It worked for me.
Oh that makes sense..... thanks for the tip. Will try it on the next couple of blocks so I am not making them one by one.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:14 AM

Good morning... I used Ms. Burns book and have made 3 or 4 l/c quilts now. I had to use the little sheet in her book and cut a tiny piece of fabric and tape it to the sheet. Then I laid out my strips as they were to be put on. Light 1, dark 1, etc. And a little trick my cousin taught me, make sure there are two seams to sew over when you add your next block (strip). I love the l/c block and just finished a l/c star quilt top and am working on a l/c heart wall hanging. I sure hope you finish it. They are really quite beautiful and I love the history behind the block. Good luck!! :o)
Old 06-10-2010, 04:55 AM

Make one block right and keep as a reference right by you. Visual aid works for me sometimes on blocks I am having trouble with. Oh and a one block at a time. I like to see results right away.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:35 AM

Don't be afraid of the l/c block. It's such a versatile block that can go together in so many lovely ways! Have fun and good luck! Remember after the first 2/3 logs you will begin sewing over 2 seams! That was a trick that helped me know where to sew the next 'log'. Enjoy!
Old 06-10-2010, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingfan
Ok A quick update. I have successfully finished 3 blocks. On my 2nd one realized that for some reason ( maybe because the directions are for chain sewing ) the blocks are not sewn in a circle which is how I was taught to do log cabins. Does anyone know if this is how it is? I am using the Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day Log Cabin. Or am I just reading the instructions wrong? It is almost like you are sewing the sides and then the top and bottom, I just follow the first block I made right and don't look at the instructions anymore. It will take me a little longer but at least I know I wont be taking multiple blocs apart.
It sounds to me you are making a courthouse block instead of the traditional log cabin (which you add strips adjacent to the one you added (circle around the center). I think the courthouse block you do opposite sides of the light and dark.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:28 AM

OK I made three and I still see a mistake. what do you think? I would have to move the last dark... or should I just continue. Someone said that it was a versatile block and I could do what I wanted, but do not know if this will effect the total look of the quilt when I try to lay it out. I do not know why I am having such a hard time with this pattern. UHHHHH I though I was done with all my mistakes.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-82883.jpe  
Old 06-10-2010, 06:37 AM

I had the same trouble and have not done a log cabin since. Good luck! LOL
Old 06-10-2010, 06:39 AM

Oh boy can I relate to your situation with the Log Cabin. I thought it would be a really easy one to do and I've had nothing but frustration with it. I've left it for a week and hope I can better understand the entire process when I go back.
My seam ripper never saw so much service as with this pattern. :-(
Old 06-10-2010, 06:39 AM

I've done this mistake before!!
It happens when you turn your block.
I try to stack them the way they are going to be sewen.
then I just lift & place no turning.