Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Contrary Wife Block/ focus fabric question?? >

Contrary Wife Block/ focus fabric question??

Contrary Wife Block/ focus fabric question??

Old 07-27-2010, 12:34 PM

New quilter here. I went to my first guild meeting and they do a block every month and the next month they have a drawing to see who gets all of the blocks that were made that month. There is a focus fabric and everyone uses some of it in their block along with other fabrics of the quilter's choice.

The pattern for this month (my first) is the contrary wife
http://quilterscache.com/C/ContraryWifeBlock.html

The first block I made, I used the focus fabric as fabric #2. Well, my points freaked out on me and after taking seams out three times, I gave up on it. I think the problem was that I tried to square up my hst blocks before I put the block together.

The second block I made came out beautifully! But, I used the focus fabric as fabric #1 this time.

Is that okay? Is there a special way you're supposed to use the focus fabric?

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2010, 12:36 PM

I should think that it would not matter which part of the block the focus fabric is in. Post a pic if you have one!!

Rachel
Old 07-27-2010, 12:40 PM

You should square up your hst's before making the block. It might have been that you are sewing a full 1/4" seam. You can't really do that on diagonal seams. Try a scant 1/4" which is just about a 3/16" seam. It will work out better for you I promise.

p.s. nobody gets the points right the first several times unless it's just a fluke. Don't get too upset over it, you're still on the learning curve. Also, the focus fabric goes where ever you choose to put it, there is no right or wrong place.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

My understanding of focus fabric is that it is the main fabric , in this case that would be color 1 . but do what makes you happy :lol:

Would love to see the pics :thumbup:
Old 07-27-2010, 12:43 PM

Hi, Judy in Waco. I'm Joy in Rogers. Welcome.

We do a similar block exchange in our guild in Temple, but the pattern is provided with instructions on where a particular fabric or color should go. Maybe you could ask another guild member if the focus fabric needs to be in a certain place.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

Quilters Cache blocks are all made using scant 1/4" seams :wink:

Unless you were told to use the focus fabric in a specific manner at the meeting, I would think it is your choice on where to place it :D:D:D
Old 07-27-2010, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
You should square up your hst's before making the block. It might have been that you are sewing a full 1/4" seam. You can't really do that on diagonal seams. Try a scant 1/4" which is just about a 3/16" seam. It will work out better for you I promise.

p.s. nobody gets the points right the first several times unless it's just a fluke. Don't get too upset over it, you're still on the learning curve. Also, the focus fabric goes where ever you choose to put it, there is no right or wrong place.
This is seeewwwww true LOL . . .when I first started quilting, I bought a 1/4" quilting foot and stitched exactly 1/4", time and time again and couldn't get the diagonal seams right. Nearly drove me nuts :D Finally figured out my quilting book was "off the mark" I would pay big bucks for a 3/16" pressure foot for my machine :D
Old 07-27-2010, 12:52 PM

Here are some photos so you can see what I'm talking aout.

1= block one with wonky point issue
2= close up of wonky point
3= second block with no problems, but concern about how I used the focus fabric

first block with wonky points
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69896[/ATTACH]

wonky point
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69897[/ATTACH]

Second block that came out better
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69898[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-69891.jpe   attachment-69892.jpe   attachment-69893.jpe  
Old 07-27-2010, 01:02 PM

Thanks everyone! I feel better now knowing that others have the same issue in the beginning. :) There was so much going on last night, they may have said how to use the fabric, but I missed it. I also forgot to exchange numbers with anyone. There were a lot of new names to learn. Everyone was wonderful though, so I'm sure if I had a number, someone would help me. I'll just bring the block I have next month and if it doesn't work, it doesn't work and I'll try again the next month.

The whole concept of a scant quarter inch seam is confusing! It's also difficult measuring 7/8th's. I honestly thought this was an easy block until I started sewing it! LOL
Old 07-27-2010, 01:03 PM

I think your finished second block (the one without the wonky points) looks gorgeous! In fact, so did the first one! I absolutely love that focus fabric and I think you did a fantastic job! :)

(P.S: I'm a quilting newbie too - welcome to the club! ;) )