Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
copyright questions >

copyright questions

copyright questions

Old 08-06-2013, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

Now we must make our own fabric too? that one takes the cake. I've heard of silly things but really! Those fabric makers would be ones I would not buy any longer. When they stop making money, they will most likely wake up! hopefully anyway.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
Now we must make our own fabric too? that one takes the cake. I've heard of silly things but really! Those fabric makers would be ones I would not buy any longer. When they stop making money, they will most likely wake up! hopefully anyway.
Well, you wouldn't be allowed to make the licensed fabrics anyway, as those designs are trademarked. This fabric is usually college fabric, cartoon characters, etc.

But I think there is no precedent in law that actually enforces the selvage statement. It's just a matter whether people want to potentially be the one to test it...
Old 08-06-2013, 07:45 AM

Oh wow! I am not familiar with this kind of fabric but what if ALL fabric designers start placing that clause on all fabrics? That would hurt a lot of people that depend on their sewing for extra income. I think I need to build up my stash!
Old 08-06-2013, 09:08 AM

You can do what you want with it. The only thing you can't do is claim it's an officially licensed product.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:47 AM
Banned

Just remember that the reason you are making items from the college fabric is to attract a special buyer. You are infringing on the logo which is copyrighted or trademarked. You are hoping to commercially benefit from someone else's copyright. Personal use does not mean making and selling. Personal use means making yourself a tote bag to take your water bottles to the ball game. Get an opinion from a copyright attorney before you buy a lot of fabric and make a lot of bags.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
Just remember that the reason you are making items from the college fabric is to attract a special buyer. You are infringing on the logo which is copyrighted or trademarked. You are hoping to commercially benefit from someone else's copyright. Personal use does not mean making and selling. Personal use means making yourself a tote bag to take your water bottles to the ball game. Get an opinion from a copyright attorney before you buy a lot of fabric and make a lot of bags.
I agree. Also, stay away from anything Disney, because they are well known to be very aggressive in protecting their copyrights.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

That certainly is a catch twenty-two! It is in a way personal use, but I don't think it would fly legally.

Do your project n the colors but with out the copyright.
peace
Old 08-06-2013, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
Seems a shame. You bought the fabric, why can't you do what you want with it?
My thoughts precisely!
Old 08-06-2013, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

It means you can't sell the fabric. After you cut it up for a project you can sell the project made with the fabric. just like when purchasing fabric for quilts. We can't resell the fabric as is but we can use it to make the quilts and then sell the quilts. There is personal use and commercial use.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:43 PM

It would do most of you well to read this website, http://www.tabberone.com. These people have been to court on a number of copyright issues and they also have links to numerous court decisions on exactly this sort of thing.