Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Cost of Fabric

I went into a local quilt shop, the only one I know of within 30 minutes, to look around. I was amazed at the selection, but I was also amazed at the prices. Most were $9+/yard and some were on sale for $6. Is this normal? I am new to quilting and to be honest most of my fabric up to now has come from Wal-Mart. Is this a case of you get what you pay for as far as quality or were they taking advantage of the fact that they are the only shop around? I also asked if they did classes and they said no. Bummed,
    Jamie

Yes... this is the going price for quality fabric (LQS fabric). There is a definte quality difference between LQS fabric and Walmart fabric. I buy most of my fabric on-line.

http://www.fabric.com/

is a website with good prices and selection and they have good amount in their clearance section. There is also a coupon "CLEAR1026" you can use for 30% off. I am not sure if that is also off the clearance fabric.

Around here that's pretty normal. Occasionally Walmart has good fabric as long as you purchase the ones that are higher end and stay away from the $1 or $2 a yard.

Now, that said, we all have to live within our budgets and there are some ways to cut back on the cost of fabric. As long as you're not putting your quilt in a contest you can shop thrift stores for cotton sheets to be used as backing, new fabric at our Goodwill is 72 cents a yard, 100% cotton shirts from garage sales or thrift shops can be cut up for blocks, etc. Get creative.

the LQS here has prices starting at $11.98 and goes to $16.98 for batiks.

i hand dye most of my fabric and the fabric i do purchase comes mainly from Fabric.com for the reasons listed above by the previous poster.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Jamie- there are lots of good tutorials on Youtube and Missouri Star Quilt Company- Youtube has many beginner videos.
    Those are just 2 that pop into my head and are excellent.
    As for fabric I find quilt shop quality online much cheaper.
    Fabric.com, Delta Patchwork, Fabric Shack, there are many other good ones as well.
    I hope this helps :)
    And the board can help you anytime!! There are many talented people here. Good luck!

Blog Entries
    For the amount of time it takes to make a quilt, I try to get as much quality fabric as possible.

So much depends on what you are going to make and for whom. I make a lot of Linus quilts and I will admit that they are not made from quilt shop fabric. Most of it comes from Joann's bargin markdowns or their children's fabrics that I was able to use a coupon to purchase. I only indugle in "quilt shop" fabric when I am making a special quilt either for a gift or for myself or immediate family. Again if it is just going to be a quilt for my grandkids to snuggle under while watching TV it usually doesn't come from a quilt shop. I am a step-mother of three all of which have almost grown children. Neither my step-daughter or my two daughter-in-laws know much about or appreciate handwork. Over the years they have all received quilts or quilted items from me but they were made with attractive but less expensive materials. While there is nothing wrong with constantly redecorating your home I am not willing to spend the time it takes to make a handquilted masterpiece only to see it religated to the dog's box the next time one of the children redocrates. My step-daughter is a medical professional and puts "all" of her bedding through the wash everytime she changes the bed, quilt included.

My favorite quilt shop just over an hour away has raised prices. We were paying $10 and some of the new lines are now $12.50!! I don't shop "stash".

Has anyone tried This-n-That Fabrics?
    They have good prices too.

Yep, the cost have gotten SO high! Check out our classifieds here for some good prices! I also look at garage sales and online, too! There are bargins for sure, sometimes just takes a bit of time to find what you want or need!

Out quilt shops around here are about $9.00 or $10.00. I shop the clearance racks to finish out plans as much as possible and also work the clearance racks for increasing stash. Watch those thrift stores and garage sales and flea markets. Sometimes people pass away and people sell off their stash at good prices for good quality. Also check out the internet. Just got to shop around all the time and I think you got to work on that stash of good stuff when you find it.

Yep it the same here, I just paid almost $12 a yard for batiks. And I hate the way they sew. Never again!

Some of the fabrics at WalMart are fairly good quality. You just have to feel it and see how heavy it is. I like their fabric for my DGD to make their projects. They don't care as long as they like the pattern. I have found that they go for the more "modern" prints. My local WM never lost their fabric, but I see the quality of some of it is better than it used to be. I have also noticed that the prices are higher than they used to be.
    Sue

Banned
    Once you get used to that lovely quilt shop fabric Wal-mart fabrics will be hard to talk yourself into purchasing. I use them for backing only. I also think buying from local small business owners helps keep them in the neighborhood.

Our LQS prices are in keeping with everybody elses $7-15/yd. It all depends on what line of fabric you're looking for. Our JoAnn's is HIGH in their prices most fabric (the good stuff) is anywhere from $9.99-12.99/yd. If I pay that price then I'm going to my LQS!!! I guess I'm turning into a "fabric-snob".
    I have gone to Goodwill, garage sales, flea markets & other places. It all depends on what project I'm working on.

Blog Entries
    I love the info RAPTURELADY gave. It is pure common sense to anyone. Love it.

Blog Entries
    i used to think $5 was a great price. sadly, i'm getting used to $10 [sigh]

Blog Entries
    Hi and welcome to the board from Iowa. You do get what you pay for; this is a normal LQS price.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    If you've been "out of the loop" or just haven't spent much time in fabric shops, then you won't have known (until now) that the wholesale price of fabric jumped by close to a dollar over the past year. Retail prices have climbed correspondingly.

The wholesale prices have gone up over 130%. The fabric I purchase as a "business" at the wholesaler is now $5.45 and UP per yard and I must purchase a bolt of 15+ yards.
    There is a chance the wholesale price will increase again in 2012. I still try to sell to my customers for only $1 over my wholesale price per yard.
    The same is true for peanuts and peanutbutter.

Our quilt store is like that too, I really search around when it comes to buying fabric. I search around on here, at Walmart, I recently was in NH (no state tax) and got everything to make a queen sized quilt for $70 which I thought was pretty good, not including the backing.

Our quilt shop owner told me one of the fabrics I liked came from Japan but after the quake she didn't know if and when they'd get more, she said also with all the bad weather in the States it affected the cotton industry so rates would be going up because of that too. I don't know why we'd be surprised when the prices of everything have gone up.
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyElisabeth
    The wholesale prices have gone up over 130%. The fabric I purchase as a "business" at the wholesaler is now $5.45 and UP per yard and I must purchase a bolt of 15+ yards.
    There is a chance the wholesale price will increase again in 2012. I still try to sell to my customers for only $1 over my wholesale price per yard.

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyElisabeth
    How can you make a go of it, marking it up only $1 / yard? By the time the credit card company takes their 3% cut, you probably have only 80 cents left in your pocket, if that.

I have seen fabric for $12 a yard at my LQS around here. Many at our Joann's are priced at $9.99/yd. I was poking around in Walmart fabric section yesterday & noticed the new fabric was priced at $5.50/yd.

There are a lot of good online sources for quality fabric & I have had good luck with many of them!

Actually, I think that $6 a yard isn't a bad price. I just bought some fabric (gulp) for $12.50 a yard. Won't be doing that too much, but I just had to have this specific fabric. Probably doesn't help that it was collegiate!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast