Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Cost of having a quilt quilted

Would all you cool folks 8-) give me an estimate of the cost for sending out your quilt for quilting?

the prices verry according to who dose it my quilter charges me 1.50 per square foot i also have her purchase to batting and backing i hope to get a long arm somday so i can do myown and amby some for others there are quilt shops that charge by the size of the quilt those prices range from 25 to 100 per quilt and it also depends if you buy the bat and the backing materials

Blog Entries
    Several local LA quilters charge $50 for simple quiting and one free motion quilter charges $80 for custom quilting designs on the quilt. This for queen size quilts. Their charges are below average cost elsewhere but they do not do outstanding work.

My prices start at 1.3 cents a square inch for basic meandering and overall patterns. My custom starts at 2.2 cents a square inch. Are you looking for a longarmer? I take new customers. You may have seen some of my work posted in the pictures section lately. I charge for batting or the customer supplies, and I carry Kona muslin for backing. Hope this helps.

Most places charge a minimum of a penny and a half per square inch. Multiply the length X the width of your quilt to get the square inches. Then mulitiply that number by .015 and that will give you a starting point for prices. A lot of longarm quilters have other charges they add to that plus there's always sales taxes.

Most LA charge by the square inch. A simple all over repeating design like a pantograph or simple meander is usually .01 to .015 per s/i the price usually goes up from there. So say you find a LAer that charges .015. If you have a queen size quilt that measures the average queen size of 90" x 108" you multiply 90 x 108 for a total of 9,720 square inches. Then you multiply that by .015 to get a cost of $145.80. This price is based on you providing your own batting and backing but many longarmers can provide these as well for an additional fee. If you want the quilt custom quilted the price goes up incrementally depending on the complexity of the quilting. If you go to Green Fairy's website she has several examples in each price range. http://greenfairyquilts.com/pages/-L...neQuilting.php

south east ND. 60 miles from MN and 25 from SD
    I found someone on E-bay that charges $50. for any type of pantograph that she has in stock, any color of thread you want and that price also includes polyester batting. If you want other, it's like $12-15. This is for a queen size. I recently got back one that I'd sent to her and I was well satisfied. I just sent off another queen top and 2 lap robe tops, ($25. each). I was lucky to find her, because I can't afford what most people have to charge. Some people aren't comfortable sending off their prized tops to a perfect stranger so it is a risk.

Quilters in my area charge a penny an inch. I just had a 102" square quilt quilt quilted, $100, binding another 1 around.

No. CA - paid $250 for a full sized quilt to be quilted, in the ditch center, stars on the side (quilted, bound with fabric I provided)

The womam who does my quilting charged me $145 for a king size. It was with stars and swhorls. That included her muslin backing and binding it with my binding.

the lady that does my machine quilting and furnishes the batting charges about $60 for a queen size, she would bind it for $10 more; she has tons of quilting patterns in addition to free motion and stippling. I always let her pick the quilting pattern and have never been disappointed she does exceptional work. I might add that she's been machine quilting for over 40 years.

the moral of the story is it depends where you live,I have had realy simple quilting locally that cost me over 100.00,and then the same thing done by someone in a another state that was 30.00 cheaper,did have to pay shipping but still came out cheaper in the end

prices vary.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Prices vary in where you live. Most quilters charge by the square inch or square yard, the complexity of the quilting. You get what you pay for, like anything else. I do longarm machine quilting and basic meander and simple overall designs run .011 per sguare inch, more dense overall designs run .015 per square inch. Custom quilting prices vary . (90x 108=9720x.011= 106.92 for quilting a queen sixe)My minimum charge is $45.00. It item is real small I will charge accordingly. I do not charge for regular thread, but do charge $3.00 if I use variegated threads. All batting is supplied by the customer or can be bought from me. Until MArch 31st I am not charginf for return shipping. I also do quantity discounts. If you send 2 or more their is a discount. I also have a punch care, and when it is full you receive $ 20.00 off your next quilting projce. Quilters like specials, so that is why I am doing the free shipping. PM me and I can get you the information. I have been machine quilting for 17 years.

Quote Originally Posted by pvquilter
    Prices vary in where you live. Most quilters charge by the square inch or square yard, the complexity of the quilting. You get what you pay for, like anything else. I do longarm machine quilting and basic meander and simple overall designs run .011 per sguare inch, more dense overall designs run .015 per square inch. Custom quilting prices vary . (90x 108=9720x.011= 106.92 for quilting a queen sixe)My minimum charge is $45.00. It item is real small I will charge accordingly. I do not charge for regular thread, but do charge $3.00 if I use variegated threads. All batting is supplied by the customer or can be bought from me. Until MArch 31st I am not charginf for return shipping. I also do quantity discounts. If you send 2 or more their is a discount. I also have a punch care, and when it is full you receive $ 20.00 off your next quilting projce. Quilters like specials, so that is why I am doing the free shipping. PM me and I can get you the information. I have been machine quilting for 17 years.
    And she is very good and speedy also!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by azdesertrat
    Azdesertrat:
    Thanks for the complement. I see you are grandma. Beautiful Baby. I have two granddaughters and it is so much fun spoiling them. Husband and son get upset, but I try not to listen. Are you working on any more quilts?

Quote Originally Posted by Honey
    The womam who does my quilting charged me $145 for a king size. It was with stars and swhorls. That included her muslin backing and binding it with my binding.
    I forgot to add that also includes the batting.

Quote Originally Posted by azdesertrat
    Azdesertrat:
    Thanks for the complement. I see you are grandma. Beautiful Baby. I have two granddaughters and it is so much fun spoiling them. Husband and son get upset, but I try not to listen. Are you working on any more quilts?
    yes I am going to start one here shortly for the quilt show next year maybe I can get 2 in,I need to quit procrastinating,(my biggest fault)

I've paid between a hundred to a hundred and fifty for a queen to king size. I only send out special quilts. The rest I do the best I can on my machine. I'm getting better, like everyone says, it takes practice.

Most of the LA quilters in my area charge so much for every foot of thread they use. Prices depend on how much quiltling they do, or don't do. Some charge way to much, but the cheaper the quilting usually means the less quality you get.

A few months ago I had a 60 x 80 quilt quilted for $60. I provided the batting and the backing and chose a simple wave pattern. Price might be a little lower than usual as the longarm quilter is a Guild member that I know slightly. May in Jersey

can you share your ebay quilter...I have been looking for someone that I can afford...Thanks...

Thanks so much for all the responses...I had spoken to a member of a group in our area who stated she pays $250 to $300 to have her Q's done. That is far too much for me to pay. You have given me hope. Thanks again.

Most sound way too much, after the cost of fabrics, battings and such. I FMQ mine and I am very happy with the way they turn out. I give most of mine away and who knows how they treat them or how often they wash them.

All depends on the size mine has costed me anywhere from 16.00 to 33.00.