Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cotton canvas in a quilt? >

Cotton canvas in a quilt?

Cotton canvas in a quilt?

Old 03-26-2019, 04:05 PM

Default Cotton canvas in a quilt?

I have a dumb question . Has anyone ever used a cotton canvas fabric in a quilt. I bought, not one, but two, stash builder bundles of fabric thru Bluprint of coordinating fabric, expecting 100% cotton quilting fabric. I ordered two of the same bundles, thinking to get enough for a quilt top, a total of 8 yards of fabric. Each bundle contains 2 - 1 yard pieces of Cotton Canvas prints along with 3 pieces of RK fabric that I would consider quilting weight cotton. The cotton canvas is not really heavy weight, but definitely what I would call a twill type fabric. Seems the bundles were put together to make a duffle bag project...something I discovered by sleuthing it out. On the plus side the canvas pieces are 60” wide. I am disappointed it isn’t all quilting cotton, and I Went back and read the description of the product, but unless you select to go view the Product Specifications you/I would/did not see the product contained cotton canvas. I will let Bluprint know I’m disappointed, but I do love the colours of the fabric and wondered if I should keep it or send it back. I don’t really want to make a duffle bag with it, I have enough quilting projects I’d rather do. As I write this, I’m convincing myself to return the product. Even though it’s a great deal on fabric, it would probably be a PITA to try and machine quilt? And if I can’t make what I want with it, it’s not such a good deal is it!
Attached Thumbnails 86b86995-0d1d-4c25-a637-35784dca9dc8.jpeg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-26-2019 at 06:09 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-26-2019, 06:19 PM

I agree, send it back. Not a good deal at all if it sits in your stash and doesn’t get used.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:10 PM
Power Poster

I'm sure it can be used in a quilt, but it wasn't what you were expecting, and not what you want to use. If you don't like it, return it.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:28 PM

I agree with Dunster. It could be used to make a picnic quilt or a car quilt, but if that is not what you wanted it for, send it back.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:41 PM

You can use it to cover your ironing board. Canvas is similar to cotton duck, and cotton duck is fabulous for ironing boards.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:20 PM

If you need to make a quilt that is tough and could be used for picnics and taking to the camp for the guys, then it will work. Or if you wanted to make some bags for groceries or some such, then you might use it. Otherwise, I probably would never include it in anything I would make. Maybe for a boy that loved the blue jean type feel.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:29 PM

Unfortunately, it’s the cream coloured fabrics that are the cotton canvas, so not the greatest for putting on the bottom of a picnic quilt or even a duffle bag. The geometric print is the lighter weight of the two.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:03 PM

When we had season tickets to the local football games I used the heavy cotton for the back side of quillows to use at the games. Not much quilting and it worked well for the outdoor use. After that they kept it in the cars.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:36 AM

Kwiltr, thanks so much for posting this plus with a picture! I had read your post earlier (without picture loaded) and was wondering which stash builder it was since I purchase many through that company and lo and behold, I bought the same kit! I was also feeling really good about it because it sold out so quickly, so I'm confident you and I are not the only ones disappointed that it's cotton canvas instead of quilting cotton.

You're right that the colors and prints are gorgeous which is also why I had bought it thinking it would be perfect for making a quilt out of. I'm probably going to make a tote bag for me and one for my sister in law as well out of this since I only bought 1 set and it's not really enough for backing a quilt of the size I normally make. You might also email Bluprint from the customer support section just to let them know how disappointed you are. I just did. I also recommended they reword their descriptions in the future to include the word "canvas" because I've spent so much money there and never gotten anything except quilting cotton/batiks. Their customer support has been fantastic every time I've reached out to them and they have more than made things right with other issues with supplies that I've had so perhaps they will do something this time. They can't have the opportunity to try if you don't start that conversation, so I'd encourage you to reach out to their support.

If you have the time and desire, the totes would probably make good grocery bags Plus they'd be really pretty! Since you have 2 sets of the fabric, you could get quite a few. I've made this tote before and it makes a nice, roomy bag:

http://www.bijoulovelydesigns.com/20...-tutorial.html
Old 03-27-2019, 08:02 AM

Yup, it’s going back! They’re sending me a return shipping label. I still love the fabric though Such a fabric addict. ..