Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cotton fabric costs are going up >

Cotton fabric costs are going up

Cotton fabric costs are going up

Old 04-30-2010, 05:53 AM
Banned

When a friend of mine went to Marshalls Dry Goods to order fabric every one of her choices was 'out of stock' -someone must be buying alot :)... Frugality will get us all through this time...[/quote]

http://www.marshalldrygoods.com
They alert you periodically to their offerings. I find fewer out of stock notes then.
If it doesn't have an "Add to Cart" button to click, don't bother - it's out of stock
Old 04-30-2010, 06:43 AM

The solution for this year....shop till you drop !!!!!
Old 04-30-2010, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by D'Marie
If we want to see prices get better then we need to stop buying products manufactured overseas.I've learnt to read the labels and you'd be surprised what in now manufactured elsewhere.Starting at home is the only way to improve things.Longarm,your thoughts may not be far from what needs to happen.We've been quiet to long now.How much money did people sve that bougt those faulty Toyota vehicles.American Made is still the best. IF YOU CAN STILL FIND IT.
Just to set the record straight---For the last several years, the majority of Toyotas ARE manuafactured at plants here in the US and made by Americans. Toyotas are still the best car around despite their recent problems.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:25 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by phoenixquilter
Hi, and have you noticed over the last few years that the fabric is getting smaller? I was looking over some older quilt magazines and they called for 44/45 inch wide fabric. Now you are lucky to get 40 inches of usable fabric per yard!
I agree, this is definitely disappointing... but if you do the math, you can easily see that if the manufacturer makes the fabric one inch less wide, it will call for 2% less raw materials. You can see why they'd find that calculation rather appealing!

Being "in the business" I can tell you that the wholesale cost for fabric, from the various makers, has risen 20 - 25 cents / yard over the last year (and it rose about the same amount the year before that). Add on top of that the increased freight costs (UPS and Fedex raise their rates every year) and you can see why retail prices have risen also.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:38 AM

Favorite Fabrics - I see you're from Upstate NY. My husband built houses in the Eagle Heights subdivision, and we were both born at Buffalo General!
Old 04-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Isn't that just wonderful!!! :evil:
Not !!!

:cry:
Old 04-30-2010, 09:11 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by sdparent
fabric.com has a $3.95 cotton sale right now, batiks in the sale too!
I've never shopped them. How good are their fabrics? Is it standard quilt shop stuff?
If so, I'd better rush to their site.

8-)
Old 04-30-2010, 09:36 AM

I say buy fabric you love whenever you see it at a decent price. When the price goes up, I'll still be buying it, but maybe less of it.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:50 AM

Bellaboo, I agree with you there! I have my basics and plenty of gravy, too, so I am stockpiling fabric and batting like today is my last chance!!
Old 04-30-2010, 11:16 AM

I'll have to share this bit of news with my husband. He's been really good at letting me increase my stash over the past year or two. I have probably a dozen or more projects all waiting to be finished once I retire. I buy the backing to go with kits, or entire projects so I won't be needing anything (except batting) once I need to work on one. I'm set for awhile.