Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Couching/Quilting from the backside? >

Couching/Quilting from the backside?

Couching/Quilting from the backside?

Old 11-28-2017, 07:43 PM

Default Couching/Quilting from the backside?

Sometimes I get an idea as I fall asleep and this one is stuck in my head. Awhile back I got a pre-stenciled wide backing that you would use to quilt an allover design from the back.
1) Has anyone used this? Did the design wash out easily after quilting?
2) And will the bobbin thread look good on the top? I worry about those occasional loop and backlashes that happen sometimes.

Ok, part 2 of my idea/dream... the backing is a plain off white and I am not fond of plain anything LOL
So, what if I used a couching foot and a decorative yarn as I quilt on the backside to jazz it up a bit?
Has anyone done anything like this or should I forget the whole idea?
Old 11-28-2017, 08:25 PM

I have quilted on the long arm with the backing on top because I wanted to use the floral print as the "all over". Worked fine unless you have some 'lumpy" seam intersections which you can't see.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:44 AM
Power Poster

when you do the couching, you'll be using a zig zag stitch... that would make a zig zag stitch on the front. if the is the look you want, then go for it.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:55 AM

I’ve done a lot of bobbin drawing while quilting on my art quilts, but I usually do so because I want to use a decorative thread that is too thick or too lumpy to go through the needle. I also FMQ quilt on a domestic, so if you’re quilting with a walking foot or using a long arm or domestic on a frame, the following things may not apply.

The things that work best for me for avoiding bobbin thread issues are having my tension adjusted perfectly for the combination of quilt sandwich and threads and always bringing the bobbin thread to to top and holding both threads when starting.

As for couchinf the backside while you’re quilting, that will depend on if you’ve got a couching foot that has a guide hole that is a really food fit for the size yarn or cord you want to use. I do a lot of couching as well, but seldom do it using straight stitch because none of my FMQ feet have holes that reliably keep the couching yarn/cord in the middle where the needle will always catch it. As a result I usually use a zigzag stitch when I’m couching, which would then show on the top of your quilt as a plain zigzag if you are quilting from the back.

Rather than couching something to the back while quilting, I think I would use multiple colors of thread in the top to add color to the backside, or maybe use inktense pencils on it after the quilting is done.

Rob
Old 11-29-2017, 04:54 AM
Power Poster

Could you practice on a sample - I think 12 x 12 inches would be large enough to give you an idea of the effect?

(I don't like to make samples, but sometimes doing to is definitely worth the materials, time, and effort.)
Old 11-29-2017, 04:57 AM
Power Poster

I bought some of that backing you mentioned but i didn't have any luck with it. But- it was my first machine quilting experience so that may not be of help to you.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-29-2017 at 06:08 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 11-29-2017, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

That sounds great. I am going to try that on my next selvage quilt.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:05 AM

I have FMQ on a domestic sewing machine from the backside of the quilt because the fabrics in the top were so busy. The quilt top had really bright colours while the backing was a dark red solid. I used a variegated thread as the bobbin thread and a plain red on the top . It was better to have the odd pokie on the quilt top as the busy fabric hid them and looked part of the variegated thread because, pokies on that solid back would show up even more. I ran into only one problem of a flipped seam that I had missed but other than that it was easy going.

When doing bobbin work I plan the quilting "route" carefully. I have done this and run out of bobbin thread after just a few short passes across the quilt and I found it harder to hide the join in the middle of the quilt.

Hope this helps

HettyB