Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To count or not to count? That is the ? >

To count or not to count? That is the ?

To count or not to count? That is the ?

Old 11-28-2020, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

If using scraps, I make blocks until I am out of those scraps and lay out a quilt...however big it becomes. add borders!
Old 11-28-2020, 10:04 AM

I cut everything at once, mostly because I had a bad surprise with poor directions once and didn’t have enough fabric. I sew and press in batches unless I am doing something that really needs the entire set done. I do a number of units, then I count them in stacks of 10. I really like doing things assembly line style, and the only part I get bored with is pressing. Then I put an audiobook on and go for it.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by BettyM View Post
I remember reading in one of Bonnie Hunter's blogs that she sews maybe 10 pieces, then sews a leader/ender, then 10 more pieces. So easy to keep up with how many have been done.
That is a great idea. Thanks for passing it on.
Old 11-28-2020, 12:49 PM

I count as I'm cutting. If I'm cutting 4 layers at a time, I keep each stack seperated like a deck of cards. After everything is cut, I sew production line style. My fave part is designing. So for me it's powering through-I like to see accomplishment: step 1 done, check.
Writing this makes me think, this method is part of my personality. Interesting.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:17 PM
Power Poster

I cut all blocks needed before sewing. If I might have to incorporate another color to make quilt larger it is easier to start out with it and work it in.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:03 PM

I usually cut the pieces for one block and then assemble it. Then I will cut the rest of the pieces for the whole quilt. Many of the quilts I've made lately, while they are not scrappy, use a variety of fabrics, meaning each block may be unique. I always cut and lay out the fabric pieces for each block so I don't end up with blocks at the end having poorly coordinated fabrics. If I have many blocks, I pin them in sets of 10 also.
Old 11-29-2020, 05:08 AM

I cut everything at one time. And I count, count again and clip together in sets of ten. Somehow I always end up one block short or two blocks over so I am guessing I cannot count that well. Really? I can't count to ten? LOL I really don't mind the 2 blocks extra as they go into an orphan block box. When the box is full, I make an orphan quilt. But the one block short really burns my undies!
Old 11-29-2020, 05:13 AM

I don't necessarily count the blocks unless there are tons of them, then I'll make them in piles of 10's or 25's. I do though count and put into piles the number of sections for each block. I write down the sizes I need from each fabric, mark them off as I get all the cutting done for it so I don't cut again and waste fabric. Same for the sashings, borders and bindings. I mark them off on my list so I don't cut again. This is also how I fugre how much fabric I need from each fabric too. I get pretty close to the amount with little waste. I have enough scraps so don't want to add to it if I can help it.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:01 AM

I'm really branching out in my quilting skills, thank you everyone. I used to make the same kaleidoscope pattern over and over because they all turn out so different. I count. It takes 20 "circles", so I fussy cut the 8 pieces for each circle, then the 20 sets of 8 outside pieces to complete the block. I have found out the hard way to cut all "circles" at the same time, without working on another project, that is. After all 20 sets are cut, they can wait to be pinned together to their "block mate".

Each block is an amazing surprise. Admiring each one as I complete it slows me down.
Attached Thumbnails 1wedges.jpg   3outsides.jpg  
Old 11-29-2020, 07:11 AM

It's been interesting reading the comments, thus far, on this topic; such an insight into how differently our 'organizing minds' work! I've identified most closely to LoisF "I usually cut the pieces for one block and then assemble it." I learned the hard way to do a "test" block to check the pattern for accuracy! Then I cut the fabric for the whole quilt. I always lay out the fabric pieces for one block on a small design board for a visual reference as I'm sewing patches together to be sure I'm assembling correctly. I chain-piece the units where 'it makes sense' to do so. I tend to work in rows - I stack completed blocks in rows per the finished quilt.