Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To count or not to count? That is the ? >

To count or not to count? That is the ?

To count or not to count? That is the ?

Old 11-28-2020, 04:44 AM

Default To count or not to count? That is the ?

When constructing quilt blocks, do you
1. Keep track of how many are done?
2. Sew until you have a pile?
3. Count how many have after a specific time of swing?

Me? I just sew until I have a pile. Doesn't make any difference if I'm following a specific pattern, picture, or just "doing scrappy".
Old 11-28-2020, 05:03 AM

I'm like you.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:22 AM

I always breakup my sewing into sections of 10-15 at a time, I stop press, double check to make sure the block is correct, then trim and square, take a quick break to stretch a bit before sewing again. This helps me avoid fatigue and minimal time spent jack the ripper if there is a error and when I’m done I can move on to the next step without having to press and trim down a ton of blocks.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

I count after I have a bunch and pin them in piles of ten so they are easier to count as I go further along.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

That's what I do.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:45 AM

I remember reading in one of Bonnie Hunter's blogs that she sews maybe 10 pieces, then sews a leader/ender, then 10 more pieces. So easy to keep up with how many have been done.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:49 AM

I like working in moderate sized batches. I'll cut enough to be able to make many blocks, but not a whole quilt. I like sewing for a while, pressing for a while, squaring up for a while, repeat. Some times I'll be in the mood for larger batches and/or multiple cycles, sometimes I'm in the mood for smaller batches and/or only one cycle. Most of the time, I don't sit down with a fixed goal of either time or output - I keep going as long it's fun and I'm not making too many mistakes. When I start making more mistakes, it's usually I sign that I'm getting tired and would better off taking a break. (I'm picky with my own sewing, and will rip out and re-do seams when my points and/or seam matching are not spot on.)

The idea of doing everything assembly line style where I do nothing but sew, say, a bazillion half square triangles is not at all appealing to me. I like to see blocks being created even close to the beginning of the process, as I like to admire them and start to play with them to see how the layout is going look.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

I make one block at at time. I don't chain sew units. In the long run it's faster to make one block at a time. I have less fitting issues.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:06 AM

I count often and often incorrectly, so I count again LOL
Old 11-28-2020, 07:22 AM

I count after so long to see how many I have. Rarefy do go over the majority of the time I need to count off more and more and more. Especially if I am making 20 or more blocks at a time.