Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A couple newbie questions about applique >

A couple newbie questions about applique

A couple newbie questions about applique

Old 03-01-2010, 01:38 PM

I haven't done any applique yet but just ordered a pattern for a quilt that has a lot of applique on it. (Yeah I know, nothing like jumping in with both feet!) There are some areas that have several layers and quite a few small pieces. I'm trying to read up on and decide on the best method of applique for me to use. I really like the fusible interfacing method (sew on right side of fabric, cut and turn right side out) but I think that only will work for larger pieces without a lot of detail (correct me if I'm wrong please). Seems like the needle turn method will probably be what I need to use, but I am not a very confident hand sewer. I don't really understand what type of stitch to use on the edge when needle turning either.

This quilt will just be a hanging so I am not concerned with the comfort of it, just the overall visual appeal. I'd love to use the interfacing if it's possible to use it on small and detailed pieces. If not, I guess I need to find a really good needle turn tutorial!

Just looking for a little advice from some of you who have way more experience in applique than me.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:40 PM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Get Steam-2-Seam II and follow the directions. It is sooooooooo easy to do applique that way.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:41 PM

Have you thought about fusible? I've had real good luck with that, and it's easy to learn. Here's a pic of the first one I did.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-26002.jpe  
Old 03-01-2010, 01:46 PM

Lorij Love your ladies!!!!!!!!! I love the fruity bathing beauties, I am going to make a valance for my kitchen window from the same fabric.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:48 PM

Let me know if this doesn't make sense.
One way that I learned to do this was to trace my applique shapes onto the dull side of freezer paper. Cut out. Iron the shiny side onto the wrong side of the applique fabric. Cut around the shape leaving about 1/4 inch all the way around. Glue this edge with a regular washable glue stick to the paper side of the freezer paper. Pin into place and whip stitch with little stitches, as invisible as you can make them onto your background fabric (with matching fabric. I really like YLI silk thread if you can find it). Then you could always use a blanket stitch with floss if you wanted to for a decorative touch. Oh, then when your sewing is done, make a careful slit in the middle of your applique (background fabric) and clip away the background to about 1/4 inch of your applique (on the wrong side again). Pull your freezer paper shape out. You may have caught a few places with your stitching so be careful and ease it out.

Phew, that sounded like a lot of steps. I do seem to be attracted to complicated processes. But this method makes sure that you don't have a raw edge.
lots2do
Old 03-01-2010, 01:55 PM

LoriJ, love your beach ladies! That is super cute! With the fusible, did you have a raw edge, or did you do the turning right side out method?

Lots2do, okay, dumb question. What's a "whip stitch"? When doing this stitch, are you just trying to catch one or two threads of fabric on your applique piece? When you cut behind the background fabric to pull out the paper, how does that work for layered pieces? Are the top pieces only sewn onto the bottom applique pieces or are they sewn all the way down onto the background fabric? Okay, I just thought about that after I posted it. I guess you cut the behind the background fabric after each layer is appliqued, right?
Old 03-01-2010, 02:37 PM

[quote=Rachelcb80]LoriJ, love your beach ladies! That is super cute! With the fusible, did you have a raw edge, or did you do the turning right side out method?

With fusible, you have a raw edge. You can leave as is or you can sew around it with either a satin stich or a blanket stitch. I did a blanket stitch in black so it would look "cartooney". I've done others where I did a blanket stitch in a matching color and it can't be seen very easily. The secret with blanket stich is to get VERY close to the edge of the fabric so that it "finishes" the edge.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:13 PM

LoriJ, I am in awe of you "Lady Swimmer". It is very pretty. Is there a pattern?
Old 03-01-2010, 03:15 PM

I love the fusible applique. It couldn't be easier. The only problem I have is if I machine stitch around little pieces. Then it can get real hairy. But with a wall hanging you don't really have to stitch from what I understand. I to am a beginner.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by LoriJ
Have you thought about fusible? I've had real good luck with that, and it's easy to learn. Here's a pic of the first one I did.
what a cute quilt