Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
newbie with a couple of questions >

newbie with a couple of questions

newbie with a couple of questions

Old 03-16-2012, 03:54 PM

Default newbie with a couple of questions

My first questions is about blades for the Rotary cutter--are they interchangable? Can I buy blades that are a different brand than my cutter? Also, will all of the different sizes of blades be used in the same cutter or do I need of different Rotary cutter for each size?

Charity quilts: I am going to make some chairity quilts for SafeHouse, which works with Domestic and Sexual abuse victims. They also have Safe houses here in town where the victims can go and live to keep them safe from their abuser. I plan on doing baby quilts but, since the children are of all ages and also some adults too, what other sizes should I make? Lap quilts? If so, what size is that? Does anyone use their donations for tax deductions? If so, how do you figure how much your donations was, especially if you are using scrapps or material from your stash? How do you prove you made the donations? Have the agency sign a receipt? Would appreciate your input. Thanks, Kathy
Old 03-16-2012, 04:13 PM

Kathy: Welcome to QB!!

I have an Olfa 45mm rotary cutter, and I buy replacement blades for it from Harbor Freight, a hardware place. They are 45mm carpet cutter replacement blades. I would assume that all 45mm blades will fit 45mm cutters, but you'd have to do your own experiments on that. I don't think that you can put one size of blade in another size of cutter.

For your charity quilts: The first thing you might do is to ask the charity what is most wanted/needed. I'm sure that any quilt you make and donate will be well loved and well used, but you don't want to give them something that they cannot use. From my experience working with homeless families with children, I'd say that the best size quilt is twin size, the next best is queen size, if the object is that the family will take the quilt with them to their new home.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:28 PM

It will be easy enough to find the sizes they need, my best friend is not only an advocate but she also does ride alongs with the police so if they come across and incident of either one of the abuses, she is right there. I would like the quilts for thwem to keep as most of the battered women, and some men are making their break from their abusers and starting over. We go check out Harbor FReight all of the time, never know what kind of 'treasures' we will find. Have you ever had a problem with their blades? I have read both bad and good about them on the Board Thanks for your reply and help.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

many cutters can use different brand blades- each different size is a different cutter- you can not use a 60mm blade in a 45 mm cutter- or other way around---or an 18 in a 45 ect...each blade needs to go in the cutter (handle) it fits.
as for your quilts-if you want to make other's besides baby quilts anything up to about 63"x80" which would fit a twin bed- will work- you can make them 45"x54" or ... what ever they are all appreciated.
as for your tax question----if you want to use your donations for a tax deduction you HAVE TO KEEP ALL OF YOUR RECIEPTS! you are only allowed to claim what you actually put into the quilt- you need reciepts to back up your claim. you also need a tax receipt from the organization with the (claimed) amount on it. you can claim your batting, ect- but you can not claim a 'market value' for the quilts----only what you put into it- it is pretty difficult to claim much when using scraps---and being able to back up your claims- but the batting/backing/thread could still be considered....good records are a must.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:13 PM
Power Poster

You probably should post your brand of cutter to make sure that it takes other blades. A few brands do not.

Instead of the Harbor Freight blades, I look for good blade buys on eBay. This way I get name-brand blades (and quality) but at a much more affordable price than say at JoAnn's (even with a coupon).

Blade sizes are specific to the cutter. I only buy 45mm blades for a 45mm cutter, for example.

You might want to advertise on your local Freecycle group for fabric and batting donations. Ours allows one ad per week. I personally don't think it is worth keeping track of fabric costs unless you are making tons of quilts; it's really a tiny tax break. If you can build up a stash of donated fabric, that would be much more worthwhile in terms of saving money.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:33 PM
Power Poster

Our C.P.A. told me you can only deduct 1/2 of what you claim as a donation. You need to get used clothing appraised at a resale shop. I don't know about quilts, I just give mine to family and friends. Good records are a must when deducting anything for taxes.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:18 PM

I don't have experience with any rotary cutters other than Olfa and Fiskars. The Olfa cutters have notches or sprockets in the center, and the blades are shaped the same way at the center hole to fit. I think the Fiskars and Olfa blades can be used interchangeably, but I don't think it is good for the cutters. Those center posts are only plastic and will wear with use from the pressure during cutting. At least that has been my experience, so I don't aggravate the situation by putting the wrong blades in.

Enjoy your charity quiltmaking! The people who receive your quilts will be so thankful!

Dayle

Concerning donations -- you will want a receipt for the goods given, but don't expect them to place a dollar valuation on the items. All they will do is verify what and when you gave something and sign off that nothing was given to you in return. The agency must be a 501c3 organization / have an IRS recognized non-profit status.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:14 AM

I have a Fiskar 65mm rotary cutter that directions state I can use a 45mm blade in. It is orange and grey. Don't know about any other cutters that can be interchangeable.