Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cow Quilt - Response to Request for More Information >

Cow Quilt - Response to Request for More Information

Cow Quilt - Response to Request for More Information

Old 01-10-2012, 06:15 PM

Default Cow Quilt - Response to Request for More Information

A few of you have asked for more information concerning dimensions of blocks on the cow quilt that I posted a few days ago. As mentioned on my other thread, the pattern is called "American Cowboy" from Quilt Magazine, but unfortunately all I have is a page I tore out awhile back, so I don't know the date.

I am posting a more vertical picture of the cow quilt on this thread, and I hope you can see the detail better. There are 9 columns and 11 rows of blocks. Here is some condensed information about the blocks in my own words:

Each block is 6.5" finished and 6" completed. There are 3 types of blocks:

1. The focus block (cows for me) is simply a 6.5" square. There are 20 of them.

2. The rail blocks are made up of 3 strips each 6.5" in length. The outer strips are 2" wide and the inner one (light color) is 3.5" wide. Rail blocks are made in 3 combinations of colors.
There are 25 blocks where both outer strips are red (those end up placed vertically between cows).
There are 16 blocks where both outer strips are blue (those are placed horizontally between the blue "square-in-a-square" blocks.
There are 8 blocks where one outer strip is blue and one outer strip is red (these are placed on the top and bottom rows of the quilt with the red to the outside edge).

3. The "square-in-a-square" blocks also come in 3 color combinations with the cow spot square in the center. The light cow spot square is 4.75". The triangles are 3 and 7/8", but I cut them slightly larger and trim the block to 6.5" after sewing to the center square.
There are 12 blocks made with all 4 corner triangles being blue (they are placed in the quilt's horizontal rows between the blue strip blocks).
There are 4 blocks made with 3 red corner triangles and 1 blue corner triangle (they are placed in the 4 corners of the quilt with blue toward the inside and red at the outer edge.
There are 14 blocks made with 2 red corner triangles on one side and 2 blue corner triangles on the other side. Those are placed on the perimeter edges of the quilt in such a way that the red is toward the outside and the blue is toward the center of the quilt.

Of course, you can do as you like with borders. I am making my second cow quilt 2 rows and 2 columns smaller, but with the same basic layout. I think it is the contrast between the light and dark colors in this quilt that helps to give the impression that each of the focus blocks is "framed".

I hope this is clear and that by looking at the quilt you can visualize where each block stops and starts. Once you have that in your mind, it will not be hard to put this together.

Please PM me if you have questions.

Thanks for your interest!

Dayle
Attached Thumbnails cowquilt01-12vertical.jpg  
Old 01-10-2012, 06:40 PM

Thank you for the additional information. Your quilt is great - perfect colors and "frames" too.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Power Poster

I love bandana fabrics. Your quilt makes great use of them...
Old 01-10-2012, 07:06 PM

Dayle......thank you for taking the time to write the additional info for us. Your quilt is just adorable! This will be perfect for my little grandson!

Sandy
Old 01-11-2012, 01:16 AM

I have that same kind of fabric but mine is cowboy boots instead of cows. I think I will try this pattern. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:51 AM

I would love to see it done in cowboy boots! I think it would appeal to kids a little older than those attracted to cows and would make up into a more sophisticated quilt.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:08 AM

Thank you for sharing this with us!!!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 05:12 AM

Thanks for the info! I won a bundle of little buckaroo fabric (may not be the exact name) that I think would be perfect in this pattern! Your quilt turned out so cute!
Old 01-11-2012, 05:30 AM
BMP

Thank You I cant wait to do this pattern, neice would like me to make her little guy a quilt using John Deere fabrics this pattern will work great !!
Old 01-11-2012, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

Love the quilt. The pattern really shows off the fun fabric