Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Bernina Jubilea 125j information request >

Vintage Bernina Jubilea 125j information request

Vintage Bernina Jubilea 125j information request

Old 02-11-2015, 06:11 PM

Question Vintage Bernina Jubilea 125j information request

Does anyone have one of these machines, a Bernina Jubilea 125j from 1953? I have one that is in beautiful condition and sews as smooth as glass. It is all original and has been serviced. I am wondering just how fast others that are still out there and working sew. I am used to sewing at a high rate of speed and this runs rather slowly. Is this the way all of them run? My Bernina dealer and repair man have never seen one before, only pictures. He said everything is in great shape. Bernina doesn't make belts for them any longer. Has anyone replaced the smaller belt? And if so, what did you use. I have an O-ring on mine. Thank you.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:42 PM

What a great machine! The slow speed could be because of the foot control. To fix it, you'd probably have to hard-wire a new electronic foot control directly into the motor. Or, it could just be that the motor is tired. To tell which one it is, you'd by-pass the foot control. If the motor runs full-tilt with the foot control out of the way, your motor is good, and your foot control is bad. ...and vise versa. Brewer makes a small belt specifically for the older Berninas, part #305.163.03, but I don't know that it would fit that particular model. I like to have the machine in front of me and try a couple different belts to see what works best. It could also be that the belt is too tight -- that will also slow a machine down.

Good Luck!
Old 02-12-2015, 09:17 AM

The Bernina repair couldn't find a belt to fit at all. He had it since July and I just got it back. He put two o-rings on it. I looked to see what was going on with it because I knew the motor just flew. Yep, and without the rings on that motor flies! I was looking at a German website last night and got information on what they are doing in the Netherlands for belts. Found the belting on Amazon (you cut and make your own correct length). I have ordered some. Can hardly wait till it gets here so I see the results. My machine only runs with knee control. Annette in Utah, I am Jeanette in Oregon! Lol Good talking with you!
Old 02-12-2015, 05:52 PM

Hi Jeanette! That belting sounds pretty great. Keep us posted on how it works.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:58 PM

The O rings are exerting too much pressure. They will kill your motor eventually, so do remove them.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:04 PM

Congrats on fixing your issue.

Not to hijack the thread but have a vintage Bernina question: Do they need Bernina bobbins? I ask because I recently purchased one that had three different types of bobbins with the machine but all Singer bobbins? My very early Bernmina uses the FW/301 sized bobbins.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:21 PM

I prefer genuine Bernina bobbins. I've found they give better results and less tension problems. Some people get the cheap class 15 bobbins and do fine, but I will always get the Bernina ones when possible.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:22 PM

Mine uses bernina bobbins. I would guess they all do. I wouldn't chance running another type or size...but that's just me. That's just like putting plastic bobbins in an old singer that was born to run metal, you don't do it. And I was told by my machine dealer/repair person to never, ever, put metal bobbins in a modern machine that was made to run plastic.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:23 PM

Oh! And O rings are removed! Thank you!
Old 02-13-2015, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I prefer genuine Bernina bobbins. I've found they give better results and less tension problems. Some people get the cheap class 15 bobbins and do fine, but I will always get the Bernina ones when possible.
Candace, Thanks for the answer/information. I did buy 4 Bernina bobbins for the machine but now know I will buy more in the near future. The bobbins that came with the machine were all vintage bobbins at any rate so will rehome them to my Singer bobbin collection. The lady who sold me the bobbins said that I would get a better tension with the Bernina ones.

Also, I would never use plastic in a vintage metal machine and nor use metal bobbins in a modern machine.