Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Craft Fair Etiquette >

Craft Fair Etiquette

Craft Fair Etiquette

Old 11-05-2008, 05:12 AM
Banned

can someone post a picture of the mice? I still don't know what they are :) pretty please!
Old 11-05-2008, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by babeegirl
can someone post a picture of the mice? I still don't know what they are :) pretty please!
Here's the link and it has a picture
http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and...&craftid=10020
Old 11-05-2008, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

A sign that always brings a smile to my face - and it's true

"Of course you can make it, but when?"

The one item I am currently looking for is the pot scrubbers crocheted from nylon netting.

Another item that I thought was cute was a little baggie with a cocoa mix package, a little candy cane, and a couple of marshmallows. I think there was a poem in it, also.

Location does matter. So does how the merchandise is displayed. There is that line between cluttered and sparse. If you are having a good day and things are selling, move your goods around so there aren't holes in your display.

If you get a poor location, maybe you can get your friends and relatives to shill for you. Everyone is nosy and wants to know what's going on. So if it looks like there is something fun at your table, others will want to know what it is, too.

If this is for a church bazaar, or something like that, I like to have a few inexpensive items available - even if I'm not in love with them, I'll probably buy a couple of things just to help out the cause.

And you can always make things that you know your family and friends would enjoy in case they don't sell.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:58 PM

Good information.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:54 AM

I just had my first craft sale--so I think I should have asked the browsers. But... what I felt comfortable with was greeting each passerby who glanced my way, with a bright smile and a "Hello." That was it. If they happened to stop I might point out what types of things were there--such as "There are table toppers, pillowcases, bookmarks, doll blankets, and table runners as I [ointed quicly to each pile." Then I'd leave it at that. My full table seemed a bit confusing, so I thought that would help them decide if there was something they were looking for. Also, if someone was really looking at table runners, I invite them to move them all around and dig under because they were all different.

I couldn't fit all the photos on the table, so if someone showed a lot of interest in them, I'd pull the rest out from under the table so they had more choices. They really appreciated that.

The ladies on either side of me were awesome. I bought soap from one, and jam from another. The jam was 3/$10 and she said to take another for a fellow vendor, but I couldn't do it. I assured her it'd take us a while to get through 3, but that was so sweet of her.

Prices on my stuff were easy to see--I had price lists as well as prices on baskets of smaller stuff and each individual bigger item.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:06 AM
Banned

It bothers me for people to dicker the prices either at a craft fair or on places like Ebay. I quit selling on Ebay because of the bidders wanting to pick up a quilt for 10.00 that I put at least 100.00 worth of fabrics into not to mention the time and application of our experience and skills. I have lots of people at work ask me what it would cost to make a quilt for them and most of them don't want to pay what a quilt is truly worth. Even lesser quality fabrics are getting expensive per yard which drives the cost up. I've been thinking of starting a Quilt Repair business instead after the holidays are over.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:43 AM

It bothers me for people to dicker the prices either at a craft fair or on places like Ebay. I quit selling on Ebay because of the bidders wanting to pick up a quilt for 10.00 that I put at least 100.00 worth of fabrics into not to mention the time and application of our experience and skills. I have lots of people at work ask me what it would cost to make a quilt for them and most of them don't want to pay what a quilt is truly worth. Even lesser quality fabrics are getting expensive per yard which drives the cost up. I've been thinking of starting a Quilt Repair business instead after the holidays are over.
Very interesting business Babeegirl!!! Keep us posted on how you do!!
Old 11-09-2008, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

When quilts are advertised for $XX any size, it's not too surprising that people have no idea what it costs to make one.

On my perverse days, I am tempted to tell them - take a class, make at least a crib size quilt, THEN come and ask me about making a quilt for you. You don't need a sewing machine. All you really need is fabric, scissors, needle and thread. That's what our ancestors had!

Old 11-09-2008, 09:23 AM

I had a craft fair yesterday as well. Not my first. It is very hard to please everyone. Some people don't bother looking your way and some make total eye contact. Problem with these craft fairs is that there is a lot of doubling of items. I know this way, the fairs are filled with jewelrs....
way too many of them. I am usually a good deal, because not too many people quilt/sew. The ones that do, just sell one thing and that is it. Like there was this one woman who made stockings for christmas. That is fine, but people have what they want in their heads. If they don't need that, she isn't going to sell anything. I find that if you have a bunch of things to offer, you are sure to hit someone. I had one lady buy 4 baby bibs from me. I sold some table runners, some baby blankets and pillows. It was a great fair!
Old 11-09-2008, 04:18 PM

So THAT'S the mice that have been all the rage.!!! A parent made those for my students for Christmas one year and after that I used to make them. The kids loved them. One year I decorated the Christmas tree with one for every child. They are adorable. Hm, wonder if I still have my pattern. Thanks for the link.