Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Crafty quilting class

Crafty quilting class

I have been piecing tops for sometime, but would like to learn machine quilting. Has anyone taken any of on line home machine quilting classes? Craftsy has one now and I would like to hear comments. Are they easy to follow?
    Any inf would be appreciated. Thanks, Vivian

Blog Entries
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

You could try Leah Day's Free Motion Quilting a Sampler. I LOVED it. Even if you used muslin quilt sandwiches (if you didn't have a sampler to quilt) you would learn how to free motion quilt. Leah teaches both how to quilt the entire quilt top in your domestic machine and to also quilt as you go, block by block. She also teaches how to put those finished blocks together!

So far, I have taken Angela Walter's first class on quilting negative spaces. It is very good, and I just signed up for her class on doing feathers. Can't wait.

i've also heard good things about Angela's class. I bought her book.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

I am taking Leah Days class right now. It is excellent! She takes a beginner FMQer and works with them, explaining why the things we all see are happening and also how to correct them.

She also shows how to "open up" a closed toe foot. Highly recommended and you get the free BOM for the quilt she's working with.

I have taken both of the classes mentioned above...both very good classes...Leah Day is the BEST!

Blog Entries

Crafty quilting class

Quote Originally Posted by nancysp View Post
    I am taking Leah Days class right now. It is excellent! She takes a beginner FMQer and works with them, explaining why the things we all see are happening and also how to correct them.

She also shows how to "open up" a closed toe foot. Highly recommended and you get the free BOM for the quilt she's working with.
    The sampler Leah is working on is the free 2012 BOM. That is a very good class teaching you several techniques.
    rvsfan
    A Ricky Van Shelton fan

Angela Walters is a longarm quilter. I've taken her feathers class, and it is great, but it wouldn't be a good starting class for quilting on a DSM.

Thank you all so much. I feel I need to learn on my machine before I try long arm. Will Check out both of those suggested.
    Vivian

I like ann petersons class so far
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

I have and am taking several Craftsy classes. I have not met one that I didn't like. They are all good. Some teachers are more up-beat than others but all are good instructors. The best thing about the classes--you can take them over and over. If you don't understand something in a lesson, go back and watch it again. I highly recommend Craftsy classes.

Blog Entries
    I have taken two of Angela's, two of Ann Peterson, one of Cindy Needham and one of Leah Day's. I absolutely love all of them. I really don't know which one I like best, as each have their own way to do things. The good part is as you start to quilt something and need a little help, the classes are always there to help you. I have a DSM and have become comfortable to try anything and any size. I have a long way to go but sure am enjoying the journey.
    Joy

I had a goal to learn to quilt on my DSM this year. Have not done anything yet but this is very motivating to hear. Let us know your experience.
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    I have taken 3 classes on craftsy and I think they are very good and the price is reasonable

I'll have to check out Leah Day!!!I need someone with patience. :-)

Susan

Blog Entries
    I have "Quilting Big Projects on a Small Machine" by Ann Peterson. I enjoyed her class very much and she would answer my questions very quickly. This is the only FMQ that I have taken. Yolanda Wood River

In the barn when possible otherwise sewing.
    I just took Ann Peterson's class "Quilting big projects on a small machine" and LOVED it. I can't wait to take her "Beyond basics machine quilting". I would also like to take Leah Day's classes or Angela Walters feathers class.

Blog Entries
    hello what is the site for Leah class please
    Evelyn