Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Craigslist quilting frames >

Craigslist quilting frames

Craigslist quilting frames

Old 03-12-2012, 06:53 AM

My mother had some that hung from the ceiling, there was 4 planks to each set you put quilt on two and as you hand quilted you rolled to get to the next row to hand quilt.Big nails droped in the end to hold it as you rolled.there was small nails to attach your quilt to.it hung from ceiling and was rolled up on ropes when not in use.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:04 AM
j

I would by them just for the length of the wood. I would try wrapping my batting, undercloth and top around each to keep it tight just to pin using a counter. My floor right now isn't big enough for my kingsize with the furniture in it. So just have not put it together. Last night I laid out another quilt, taped the bottom to the floor. Put on the batting smoothed it and the top and started pinning. When I folded it all up the bottom wasn't really that flat and had wrinkles in it already. I need help. - So I would try that for 15$. -- J
Old 03-13-2012, 03:49 AM

home made and similar to all that were used years ago. couldn't make them for that. nice leaders she has on them. will you use it? or is it a "collecter" item.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:01 AM

Those are like the ones I use, only ours sits on stands we built for them. Material is pinned to them, backing first, facing down, batting, then the quilted top. We tie ours mostly because doing them for veterans and get a lot done faster. Prefer tied quilts anyway. Corners are clamped together with whatever works for you. I like the big clamps you squeeze to open up and clamp top board to bottom. This gives you a large square frame, adjusted to the size you need for your quilt. As outside squares are tied off, one can unhook clamp and roll the done piece up so they can reach more of the quilt to tie. We have 10 of these we set up when we have a "quiltarobics" at a local retirement home. People there loved tieing them off, or "tieing one on as we put it". Back in times past, lots of times the frames were put on backs of four chairs at the corners. I have heard of the hanging ones though. As was mentioned, hung from ceiling and pulled up out of the way when not being worked on.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:32 AM
Banned

yes, they are hanging frames and well worth more than $15...just go price GOOD wood these days! and the canvas leaders are already attached and the hardware is there....you can't beat that price!
Old 03-13-2012, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by dixie_fried View Post
Can anyone make heads or tails of these? I'm tempted to call about them because the price is so low, but I can't even identify them!
http://louisville.craigslist.org/for/2874871714.html

Thanks for looking and anything you can add.
I believe they are definitely the hanging frame that ladies used to suspend from the ceiling. There don't appear to be any legs for the poles to rest in on the floor. Check for warping of the boards/rods. I don't see any clamps or bungee straps.
I think you're buying some history. Some quilting groups still use this type frame.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:24 AM

These are old frames that are attached t short wooden cross bars using clamps into a long rectangle. The quilt sandwich is basted to the fabric, then it is rolled onto the long wooden bars, much like a long arm quilting frame. The frame is set onto backs of chairs or wooden "horses" for support while quilting. Frequently, the entire unit was attached to pulleys and pulled to the ceiling for out-of-the-way storage until the next quilting session. Women sat along each long edge and quilted. $15 is a good price for something like this, if you have a large ceiling for storage and want to hand quilt. Personally, I'd use a 14-inch hoop and sit on a comfortable couch.

SandyQuilter
Old 03-13-2012, 05:27 AM

look similar to the frames the quilting guild i go to uses. the quilt is basted to the fabric on the wood, then the wood pieces are laid across chairs to hold them for hand quilting with lots of people getting around the edges. quilt starts from outside and goes in during quilting process, getting rolled as it gets quilted. the hanging feature would be to hang it somewhere out of the way when you aren't using it.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

I would get them. They have the sleeves on them already. I looks like they were used hanging off the ceiling but I would think you can buy some saw horses and put them on there too. The clamps are with them or you can buy some. Really cheap. You can not buy the wood for them for $15.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:33 AM

Hi - I have a quilting frame that I am no longer using and would like to sell. I live about 60 miles south from Louisville. I have sent you a PM. Contact me if you are interested.