Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Craigslist quilting frames >

Craigslist quilting frames

Craigslist quilting frames

Old 03-13-2012, 11:51 AM

As mentioned before, these hang from the ceiling or sit on chair backs. The quilt top, batting and backing would be pinned or basted to the fabric parts. You need 4 for 1 set, 1 for each side and top and bottom. The metal parts that were typically used to hold together were C Clamps. We had a set of these in our 14 ft. x 14 ft. living room when I was growing up.
There were no legs. Ropes were attached to steeples in the ceiling, and were rolled up in the afternoon when Dad came home from work. In the morning, Mother, my Aunts and neighbors sat around the quilt and quilted, then rolled it as they got a row quilted, only from top and bottom. A very efficient way of hand quilting. There are only a few around now. I would say $15 would be a very good price! I would get them. Make sure there are 4 wooden pieces to 1 set with duck-line fabric attached to each.

Kathy in TX

Originally Posted by AprilG View Post
Wow, call on them! make sure that they are all there. I don't see the legs in the pictures. I just bought a new one for $130.00. It took about an hour and 2 arguments with the DH to get it assembled, but worth it. Ask if the instructions are included. That is a terific price.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:04 PM

I had to, also. See #41.

Also from TX. Grew up in Salado, TX

Originally Posted by helenquilt View Post
Oh yes I grew up under one of these in '40s. Mother was always quilting when we got off the bus from school. We would throw our coats and books on the quilt and she would roll it up to the ceiling out of the way. the next morning when we heard the bus coming we would have her drop it down so we could get out stuff.
I just happen to have 3 sets, I don't use them but just can;t through them away.
They are great if you have the room for one.
Sorry about my story but just had to share
Old 03-13-2012, 03:16 PM

My Grandmother had a set just like these. They hung from her ceiling with small ropes. She used a darning needle and thick thread to sew them to the frames, and then she rolled the frames toward her and one away. I remember sitting with her on one side and I on the3 other quilting. I say they are a bargain. all the pieces appear to be there since there were only two per size of two sizes. Good luck
Old 03-13-2012, 05:05 PM

I just checked the page and got this This posting has been deleted by its author.
(The title on the listings page will be removed in just a few minutes.)
So can't help you on this one.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:09 PM

I went to look but the posting has been deleted...
Old 03-14-2012, 04:57 AM

hi neighbor
Old 03-14-2012, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by kymawmaw View Post
hi neighbor
HI!

I didn't jump, and someone else did.
I'm not too upset...like I said, I wouldn't have used the frames like they were intended and perhaps the person who got them will!
Thanks for all the stories--I can almost picture how they would have hung. It's a sweet scene, imaging how you all helped your moms and grandmoms quilt on the frames.