Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Crayola - What am I doing wrong? >

Crayola - What am I doing wrong?

Crayola - What am I doing wrong?

Old 09-07-2011, 03:11 AM

sandpaper does same thing and gets more color on picture with less effort,more color brighter picture :D Tape sandpaper down cover it with block hardly any movement..roughness of sandpaper puts thicker crayon on picture.. :wink: I am for less effort cause of carpal Tunnel and Ostioarthritis.
BillsBonBon
Old 09-07-2011, 05:54 AM

I used fabric crayons with my g'kids. I could only get the poly/cotton mix for one shirt and if my memory is right, the coloring came out way better on that one than the 100% cotton. The kids drew on paper then we ironed that onto the shirts. Of course this would make lettering nearly impossible.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:22 AM

you can not use 100% cotton. It must be a poly blend and it will work fine
Old 09-07-2011, 11:14 AM

Have tons of left over crayons from when my kids were younger... will be sure to go through and keep only the crayola.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:21 PM

I have made several quilts with crayons. They have laundered well and still look nice. Always use Crayola brand. Did the butcher paper coat your fabric with a waxy substance that made it crayon proof and would not allow the color heat set? I have never used the butcher paper, just white paper towels to absorb the extra as I iron the layers. I always do 3 layers of crayon and heat set between each "coat".
Old 09-08-2011, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by quiltwoman
~I made a whole queen sized quilt with crayola leaf blocks--you have to heat set them--the heat of the iron melts the~
I have started working on a similar quilt but I think I went wrong with the coloring. When the instructions said to layer the colors, I guess I missed the part about pressing in between... so now, I have put the crayon on VERY heavily. Should I try pressing anyways now to see what happens or is this project a wadder? (wadder = something you crumble up or wad up and throw out)
Old 09-08-2011, 02:30 AM

Fabric crayons are a waste.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dena789
Originally Posted by quiltwoman
~I made a whole queen sized quilt with crayola leaf blocks--you have to heat set them--the heat of the iron melts the~
I have started working on a similar quilt but I think I went wrong with the coloring. When the instructions said to layer the colors, I guess I missed the part about pressing in between... so now, I have put the crayon on VERY heavily. Should I try pressing anyways now to see what happens or is this project a wadder? (wadder = something you crumble up or wad up and throw out)
I would press with pressure on the block,get all the wax you can out..it will show up on the paper you use to cover the picture untill it is clean I would press..if color is not bright as you like color and press again paperbag,copy ETC. don't see why it has to be a wadder...LOL BillsBonBon
Old 09-08-2011, 07:04 AM

Your first entry told what you should have done different.

HEAT SET THE BLOCK WITH THE CRAYON COLORED SIDE UP
WITH A PAPER TOWEL COVERING IT.

When you put the crayon side down you transfer the color to whatever is under it. (you said "face down" so I'm thinking you put the colored side down, is that right?)

Bill's BonBon mentioned sandpaper, you can color directly on the sandpaper then lay it on your fabric and press. The color transfers from sandpaper to the fabric. You can also color on regular paper and transfer it to the fabric by laying the colored side of the paper face down and pressing.

If you do sandpaper or paper transfer, remember the picture will go from the paper to the fabric in a mirror image. If you have writing on it the writing will transfer backward. Just another way to do the crayon on fabric.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:30 PM

Just to be on the safe side, I put a paper towel under the piece, colored side up, paper towel on top and press with a hot iron.