Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Crayola - What am I doing wrong? >

Crayola - What am I doing wrong?

Crayola - What am I doing wrong?

Old 09-06-2011, 03:11 PM

I really want to do this. I have some outlined embroidery blocks that I think would look great with some color on them. ( I'm not sure of the fabric content.) There are a lot of good sugestions on here so far. I'll be watching with interest...
Old 09-06-2011, 03:29 PM

Oh no! I am so sorry.

I made a whole queen sized quilt with crayola leaf blocks--you have to heat set them--the heat of the iron melts the wax onto your paper towel, leaving behind the pigment of the crayon. It has to be Crayola brand crayons....the heavier they color, the more you have to iron to remove the wax and leave the pigment.

Any chance you can save what you have already done??
Old 09-06-2011, 03:30 PM

PS....I did ours on 20 year old donated muslin blocks.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:38 PM

I know everyone is talking about using crayons. I love the color on the snowman/woman quilt. The color is very nice.
I have used acrylic paint with fabric medium. That definitely works, it's a different look though.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by teacherbailey
Next time try Pentel Dye Sticks. I order mine from Dick Blick since I can't find them anywhere else. They are very inexpensive and I've used them for many years. Once heat set, anything short of an atomic bomb or battery acid will not affect the color!
ooh! ooh! I just stopped at Hobby Lobby on my way home from work and bought Pentel Dye Sticks and Marvy Fabric Markers. Haven't tried them yet, unfortunately brought actual work home tonight so have to put the fun off until tomorrow night
Attached Thumbnails attachment-252600.jpe  
Old 09-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Bev

Did you check that the crayons were NOT the kind guaranteed to wash out? My daughter gets those for the kids and the color actually does wash out! 8-)
Old 09-06-2011, 06:07 PM

I have not tried coloring on fabric with crayons yet so no solutions for your problem-
Though I have bought the crayons and the Pentel Dye Sticks to try it out. A lot of suggestions here so that will help.
Good luck and hope you find out what went wrong.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Power Poster

i juat took a class on this a few months ago dont use fabric crayons make sure they are the crayola crayons
Old 09-06-2011, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
You didn't use washable crayons did you?
That was my first thought! Back in the "good old days when I grew up" (sorry, just couldn't resist! :-D )
we only had one type of crayons...waxed, great on paper, walls and as confetti if ingested.

These days there's everything from "magic crayons" to washable and then some.

Did you apply it heavily? Wait, you indicated everythig=ng washed out. No clue here.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bill'sBonBon
Originally Posted by KyKat
I have five sisters, and for our reunion that is coming up in July, I decided to do each of them a quilt, with 6 different little sunbonnet sues, each different, one quilt a bunch of 6 baloons with Sues on them with each of our names, one a bouquet of 6 flowers with Sues in the center of each flower with each of our names, etc, you get the idea. I thought I would make a center panel with crayons, then do hand embroidery embelishments, then hand-quilt each one. Good idea, right? Well, I did the first, the baloon bouquet, and it was as cute as it could be. 6 different colored baloons, 6 different little Sues, the strings tied with a big bow. And I did everything right . . .
Cotton fabric - check
Washed - check
Dried with no fabric softner - check
Ironed freezer paper to back - check
traced design on front and colored in with crayolas - check
Paper towels on ironing board - check
panel face down on paper towels, iron set on "cotton", heat set all work - check

then I decided to wash it again before I did all the other work - embroidery, etc. and !!! Gone! All of it --- washed away!!! What happened??? Any ideas?
I have made 3 large crayon quilts for grtgrndkids... I used both fabric and crayola and prefered crayloa... fabric crayons not enough selection of different colors... I first traced picture useing light box with pencil... I then used a pad..a doubled piece of material like a pillowcase or your ironing board then colored..smooth coloring...used wax paper or copy paper to lift wax off of picture...then I used sandpaper under picture and I colored at least 3 times ironing with copy or wax paper.. The sandpaper helps put the layers on without tireing your hands so much... At least 3 coats of color and sometimes more the more layers the brighter the color.. I did use a fabric medium to cover and protect blocks.. I WOULD NEVER WASH BEFORE.... I did do a test block and washed it without medium it faded some but was still bright... but nothing like the medium protected one. with Med. applied it still has to lay flat for 7 to 9 days something like that.. Oh I forgot I put copy paper under block face up then paper on top then I PRESSED the hot iron on block..Don't know if this made a difference or not..
I don't know what the freezer paper is for???? didn't need it.. I taped my block down on my sewing table to keep it from moving and the sandpaper made extra sure it didn't move..
This technic worked for me..all 3 quilts are still bright.
So sorry you had problems. Crayon quilts are really beautiful when done I want to make myself one.. Good Luck Here is the link to my Grtgrndsons sports quilt with Medium applied...
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-17348-1.htm
BillsBonBon
I use the freezer paper to stabilize the fabric so it doesn't shift around while it's being colored.