Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Crazy quilt questions >

Crazy quilt questions

Crazy quilt questions

Old 02-01-2019, 04:58 PM

I use thin muslin foundations, it makes life much, much easier.

The BEST info I've come across is from Allie Aller and Sharon Boggon.

Allie Aller's book is worth every penny. Tons and tons of tips with good step by step pictures. Plus beautiful pictures of finished crazy quilt projects.

Sharon Boggon shares a multi-part tutorial on her blog showing how she created her diamond crazy quilt. Just like in Allie's book, this set of tutorials is also very in depth and excellent. Sharon also published a book on crazy quilting but I haven't purchased it yet.

Marsha Michler has several books on crazy quilting. I have this one and like it very much. But if you're only going to buy one then I highly recommend Allie Aller's instead.

I've had a blast since taking up crazy quilting!! I love to hand embroider the seams but using the fancy stitches on your machine will also turn out fantastic.

Last edited by magicmoonmusings; 02-01-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:26 PM

I did these by cutting the pieces with the Accuquilt Crazy Quilt die--I have the one for the Studio but they also make it for the GO Big. [ATTACH=CONFIG]607766[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]607767[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails resized-gray-crazy-quilt.jpg   resized-crazy-quilt.jpg   finished-gray-quilt.jpg  
Old 02-01-2019, 06:00 PM

I've only done some crazy quilt blocks to use for bags. I used poly satins, velveteen, etc. I did sew on a muslin foundation, then "quilted" with the decorative stitches on my machine.

I did go to an Original Sew presentation years ago and the speaker was about crazy quilts--she made the point that you always start out the center with a piece that is odd #--i.e. 5 sided--that allows you to build out without it looking like you are just "off" on your quarter inch seam!

I have a crazy quilt that my g-ma made (she made many)--it is made as one large one, without descernable blocks. She used wools, dress fabrics, corderoy, some velvet, etc. Not sure if there is a foundation but suspect so as so many different weights of fabrics. Then she hand embroidered fancy stitches along the different fabric edges. The whole thing was then tied to a flannel sheet blanket--very heavy! ( no binding, it was birthed). I suspect this was the way her Mom did it too as she made many like this.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:51 AM

There is a beautiful machine appliqué version called Fancy Stitching. I think it’s by Smith Street. If you are doing your own, sew scraps together, cut into blocks and then embellish with “fancy stitches” (either by hand or machine), add buttons, charms lace here or there. You can let your mind run free. There are many examples on Pinterest.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:37 AM

I did a crazy quilt about five years ago. I started with a small (about one square inch worth) five-sided black piece. Five sides - think house - floor, two walls which slant outwards and a roof. Sew a small piece of something onto one side, trim one edge of that to make a straight edge to sew on the new piece. Keep adding all around the black in this fashion. Then just keep adding pieces around until it is as big as you like. As it gets bigger it may have more than five sides. Most of mine ended up having about eight sides. Add pieces to make it four sided and trim. I sashed it in black and won second place in audience choice.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:08 AM

So many questions and they have so many different answers! Basically, a crazy quilt is aptly named - breaks most of the rules. Because it can use such a variety of completely different types of fabric, using a foundation piece solves many of the problems that come up. Making smaller blocks makes it so much easier to work with. One of the easiest ways is to make them on muslin and do your decorative stitches on each block. Then, after you have put all the blocks together, you can do a basic quilting. I did a simple stitch 1" on each side of the 8" finished block seams. I found that with all the seams and the muslin , I did not want a heavy batting, I used a good quality cotton for the backing and it is plenty warm (and still fairly heavy). One thing I did that I rarely do is that I did prewash everything because of the variety of fabrics used. I wanted to include some unusual fabrics so I made a few rounds of the second hand shops and found some items of velvets, wools and laces to cut up. Most of the decorative stitches I did on the machine and a couple areas I did larger hand embroidered stitches to really show up. But, the point is that each block/piece will tell you what it needs to set it off. Just plan on it being a project that will take a very long time because you set it to the side and just work on it between other projects. Or it can get very overwhelming.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

I've done a lot of crazy quilts. I did a small one for a friend many years ago. it was made out of all denims. I also had a denim shirt with about 6 different fabrics on it. I pieced the blocks, sewed them together, then started to embellish them. I had loads of fun, using blue and white beads and pearls. all different types.I had all different types of pearls on a string and different types of trims, mostly bridal. every seam had a trim. I did yo yos in put buttons in the centers and hung them with beads and buttons. It was beautiful. then just backed it, and made a wall hanging size for her. I've done dozens of pillows. I like the color themed one best. in all the crazy ness of it all. I needed something that was in order.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:46 PM

Barb2018 are you thinking about a Victorian Crazy Quilt with velvet, satin, silk, etc. or one of cotton. The method would differ a bit because of the weight of the fabrics.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:58 PM

I have a crazy quilt that my grandma made. She used a very light weight, preshrunk muslin for the foundation of each block. She did all the embroidery by hand. It is smaller than my bed so I don't use it but I treasure it.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:52 PM

I watched my DGM when I was little setting with piles of scraps and old clothes cutting and hand sewing pieces together as she went. She would do fancy stitching as she went. She would quilt it by stitching around each scrap. I know that is the old way and it is done with blocks and patterns now but hers were always so pretty and well loved.