Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
CRAZY Quilt Trouble >

CRAZY Quilt Trouble

CRAZY Quilt Trouble

Old 12-30-2010, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by misseva
I never thought of that! It would be a good project for watching TV and would certainly use up all my little left over applique scraps. I must try it. Looks like you embroideried over the seams too. I love doing that.
This was all hand done mostly in front of the TV. I am able to stay awake when I am busy. The embroidery was so much fun. I learned a lot doing research on line and borrowed books from the library. It is a great use of scraps and they say---you cannot make a mistake in a crazy quilt--which was why I was in favor af making this one requested by my daughter. I hope to make another one in a few years after I finish some regular pieced ones.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:33 PM

Put all your scraps in a bag and pull one out at a time. The dicision is made for you on what scrap to use next.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by fayza
I am very frugal about saving scraps right down to the smallest piece so I recently started a Crazy Quilt thinking it would be a great way to put those small bits and pieces to good use. You would think this would be the easiest kind of quilt to do, but with my OCD (My own diagnosis. lol) I am having the hardest time getting it started. ERRRR
Any suggestions?
When I learned to crazy quilt, the first piece was always in the shape of a house - 5 sides. You go on from there building from the middle out, sewing on muslin as the stabilizer. Keep trying and you will succeed.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by lollygagging
The last two lap quilts I made had "crazy quilt" backs made from the scraps from the front. I simply continued to add pieces, squaring occasionally until I reached 12" squares then made rows of the 12" squares and adding whatever I needed to the end of each row (off setting each row with the odd measurement). One row would be four 12" blocks with a 3"x12" block at the end and other I'd reverse the next row to start with the 3"x12" block. That way there is a sense of order but it finishes like a crazy quilt look and no backing material was needed.
So you made your blocks in a quilt-as-you-go layout?
Old 01-04-2011, 11:27 AM

i say go to bonnie hunter's website...
she can make a believer out of anyone i think!!!!
if not... a wonderful place to have a cup of coffee and stay a while..
ton's of free patterns, and ideas for organizing scraps and much more...hope you visit..
Originally Posted by fayza
Originally Posted by FQ Stash Queen
My idea is to scrap your idea and do something else! LOL
Sounds like a plan :) LMBO At the rate I'm going I may not have any hair left. Haha
Old 01-04-2011, 11:30 AM

http://quiltville.com/index.html

the link to bonnie hunter...
Old 01-04-2011, 12:16 PM

If you do not have a supply of scraps, how many different fabrics do you need to start and how should they be cut to start. Should you just stack-n-wack various shapes from different stacks of fabric?
Old 01-04-2011, 12:20 PM

check the above site....
there is a place whre she writes about organizing the stash,,, it tells what sizes to cut, she even suggests that you take some of the fabric that never gets used and cut it into
strips, or squares... i know some people don't like to read, but this is well worth it....
Originally Posted by lynn7448
If you do not have a supply of scraps, how many different fabrics do you need to start and how should they be cut to start. Should you just stack-n-wack various shapes from different stacks of fabric?
Old 01-04-2011, 12:25 PM

If I didn't have any scraps, I'd buy an assortment of fat quarters and cut them in various width strips 2", 3", etc. I would start with a piece in the middle of my block in either a triangle shape or as someone has suggested a 5 sided piece in the shape of a house and then just start sewing onto that using a muslin backing. You can also cut squares from old sheets or even some ugly material you wouldn't put on a quilt top. By using strips, you can just use whatever length you need, cut it to size, then use it again where ever it will fit. When you get your foundation fabric covered - use a ruler & rotary cutter and square up. There you have a block. I like to put sashing between my blocks so they don't all run together.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:37 PM

Thanks for the info. This is very helpful.