Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: CRAZY Quilt Trouble

I am very frugal about saving scraps right down to the smallest piece so I recently started a Crazy Quilt thinking it would be a great way to put those small bits and pieces to good use. You would think this would be the easiest kind of quilt to do, but with my OCD (My own diagnosis. lol) I am having the hardest time getting it started. ERRRR
    Any suggestions?

I would make a foundation square out of muslin & start sewing scraps on until this square is covered.

no help here I have to have order and crazy quilts just push my boundries :)

Quote Originally Posted by mommamac
    I would make a foundation square out of muslin & start sewing scraps on until this square is covered.
    Thats a good idea. I definately need some sense of direction. Its driving me crazy. I guess thats why its called a "Crazy Quilt" lol

I agree! I have the hardest time with crazy q's too, but once I get started I'm always amazed at how well it comes out.

Blog Entries
    Carol Doak has a free paper piecing pattern at her web site for a crazy quilt block or at least she did at one time, because I have it downloaded to my computer.

You have to be willing to cut chunks off and discard them. If you go at it like a paper pieced block it is easier. Start with a piece in the center of your backing and just start adding, flipping, pressing and adding. Clip off only when you know it is sewn down on all sides or you may be sorry and have to patch an area. It is ok to add by hand too. There are some good books, my favorite is a small hard cover spiral bound by J. Marsha Michler Crazy Quilting the Complete Guide. She includes 10 ways to patch a crazy quilt, 100 embroidery stitches, embellishments and loads of beautiful color photos for inspiration.

She still does - it is half way down her website

http://www.caroldoak.com/free-quilt-patterns.php

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fayza
    I am very frugal about saving scraps right down to the smallest piece so I recently started a Crazy Quilt thinking it would be a great way to put those small bits and pieces to good use. You would think this would be the easiest kind of quilt to do, but with my OCD (My own diagnosis. lol) I am having the hardest time getting it started. ERRRR
    Any suggestions?
    I'm working on a queen right now. Have made a table runner, lap quilt and couch throw. I cut squares using an old sheet, starched them well. Then just pick up the pieces and sew. I use decorative stitches on them after the sq. is full, sq. up and that block is finished. I make my foundation 13" & trim them down after I am finished. All of the stitching takes up some of the foundation, so cut them a bit larger than you want your finished block. You can make them any size you wish. Hope this helps. Marge

I use small pieces, and sew up "crumb" blocks-3.5" size. That way I can use up those small pieces, and have something to show for it!
    The bigger crazy quilt blocks just don't do it for me. I need a bit of order.
    The "crumb" block idea comes from www.quiltville.com. Enjoy!

My idea is to scrap your idea and do something else! LOL

Blog Entries
    I like to start with an odd shaped piece in the center, it looks more random to me than a square/rectangle. :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by FQ Stash Queen
    My idea is to scrap your idea and do something else! LOL
    Sounds like a plan :) LMBO At the rate I'm going I may not have any hair left. Haha

I have a bin of crumb quilt squares I made for a bedspread - these were the first quilt blocks I've ever made. I've only recently begun making dnp and while they're nice, it's MUCH easier to make crumb blocks!! No measuring, no fussing - and FUN! :D

Judith Baker Montano is one of the stars of real crazy quilting and her books--probably in your library--have excellent directions on piecing a block. There are several tutorials online, might just Google "How to make crazy quilt block." I usually start with the muslin foundation and a five-sided center piece. I like to work with the fancy fabrics and embellishments, but you can use cottons and forget the lace and other embellishments. Here is one good instruction site.--- http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art23942.asp

Totally love this idea, start with 12.5" square, I then put a piece of "black" in the center 2.5", this will give some movement.
    I started this awhile ago and need to get back to it.

Have fun, enjoy the art!

Blog Entries
    my (cyber)friend, Nicki lee has a blog, she does the most amazing CQ'ing..i have couple of her needle holders..maybe you can check her blog out, i think she does "classes" or "tutorials" ..

http://www.cqnickilee.blogspot.com/

Am a fan of all the "crazy" authors. My EQ7 has many foundation designs for the crazyquilt blocks. In '90 I took a class on "crumb quilting", so much fun. We started with a triangle and made that into a basket.

If you are a machine quilter use your decorative stitches to connect the patch pieces after you fuse them to lightweight interface. Cut your fusible interface larger than the size needed and slightly overlap the pieced to cover all the interfacing, fuse down then embroder over seam connections. Trim to size and continue like a regular quilt with block to block or sashing.
    Moosegirl

Blog Entries
    I keep strips and scraps by my machine,when I need some mindless thing to do,make crumb or crazy blocks,love to embelishe by hand with fancy embroidery. Next I am going to do one with the fancy stitches and colorful threads on my machine.

Blog Entries
    Good luck. My first quilt was a crazy quilt and it was fun. Sewing the pieces to the foundation squares was the most tedious for me as I could not wait to do the embellishment. There is great help online.

you could make small blocks and use them for the borders

Blog Entries
    i teach a class on crazy quilting. the biggest problem for some people is to just pick a strip of 'any' color and start sewing to the foundation. last time i let everyone pick all the strips for their block, put them in a paper bag and then give it to the person next to them. you would have thought i'd asked them to cut off their dominant arm!!! At least they wern't obsessing over colors any more. I love crazy quilts b/c you don't have to cut out, match, etc..... just pick a strip & sew and b/4 you know it you have enough blocks to make a quilt. i don't 'do' coordinating well - it's a chore for me. plus - all my family ever did was strip pieced quilts. maybe it's inherited. 'ya think??

i would like to find a pattern for a crazy quilt that starts in a corner and goes from there that is how they were made at first with velvets and satin

I started one once and apparently hit the same roadblocks you hit. At that time I didn't understand scrappy. Now I think I could make one, but the key is not to get too picky about putting together fabrics that "match". Just throw one next to another and guess what, when it's done they all look good together.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast