Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Creased Backing >

Creased Backing

Creased Backing

Old 11-21-2010, 06:28 PM

[quote=Scissor Queen]If you use the Sharon Schamber method you don't have pleats and you don't have to get down on the floor either.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA[/quote

This was such a wonderful video. I, too, am anxious to get some boards and try it. I have learned so much from all of you on the Quilting Board.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:40 PM

Try spraying your sandwich together with basting spray glue - it works, and no pins to worry about. It sounds like you do not have a quilting table that butts into your machine so that you have a smooth surface to glide over. It is more difficult to avoid puckers if you are humping the quilt over the sleeve arm all of the time. A sewing table where your machine sits flatly in the recess would help equally as well.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Nolee
Someone please help me. I only machine quilt. I use the walking foot. I can do backing fine on potholders, place mats and table runners but anything bigger than that and I get creases in the back. I am always pulling out. It is never smooth. I pin and pin and pin so I don't know what I am doing wrong. Is the only solution to keep cutting the thread, taking a look underneath and then reconnecting thread? That doesn't seem practical.
In order to avoid those nasty little creases, I put my batting on one side only and sew that together. When the batting is sewn to one side I then put the other side on and sew show it so I can see that side. As long as the batting has been put on from the other side you don't have to do as many stitches, just enough to keep the fabric on. It is soooooooooooooo much easier! No more creases but do remember to clean your machine more often as there will be more "fuzzies" under the bobbin plate etc. (The quilt police will go nuts over this one but it works beautifully for me and that's what counts.)
Old 11-21-2010, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Nolee
Someone please help me. I only machine quilt. I use the walking foot. I can do backing fine on potholders, place mats and table runners but anything bigger than that and I get creases in the back. I am always pulling out. It is never smooth. I pin and pin and pin so I don't know what I am doing wrong. Is the only solution to keep cutting the thread, taking a look underneath and then reconnecting thread? That doesn't seem practical.

Are you using a walking foot to quilt with?
That will help move all layers through at the same time.

:thumbup:
Old 11-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Banned

If you can lay out your quilt sandwich on a table that is thin enough (my glass dining room tabletop is just right for this) you can clip your backing all the way around with big binder clips (from Office Depot or Office Max) and tape it with painter's tape or masking tape as well. Sometimes I use the basting spray but don't like it so much because it's difficult to reposition once it's sandwiched. It's always something.

Dana
Old 11-21-2010, 10:48 PM

I happen to be fortunate enough to have an inexpensive New Joy quilting frame and I have found that I can pin my backing to the take up rollers (pinning to the leader fabric) then I put down my batting and quilt top. Then I pin baste it while standing. When finished with that section, I remove the pins and slide the "sandwich" up and re-pin it again. I repeat this until all is basted. This is done for the smaller quilts that I quilt on my regular machine.

I have found it saves my back and legs and it's also in the same room - on the same floor! :-P
Old 11-21-2010, 11:16 PM
mac

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
If you use the Sharon Schamber method you don't have pleats and you don't have to get down on the floor either.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
Thanks, Scissor Queen, for the video. I'm going to have to try this. It seems that there is a lot more control to be had doing it her way. We'll see.

By the way, an other famous teacher, Becky Goldsmith, doesn't pin her quilts either. She bastes them like Sharon does and clips the threads as she quilts it.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the tips! I have had my share of creases!
Old 11-22-2010, 02:34 PM

I had that problem once and got a tip on this site to use basting spray. I love it! I never have a problem now and I've found that if I put a layer on a little crooked, I can peel it off and reposition it...even hours later.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:01 PM

Dependng on the size of the quilt I either do it on a table or on the floor. Like others, I stretch my backing taut, but not too much as to stretch it. On the table I use clips to hold the backing. On the floor I use painters tape. Lay on the batting, then the top. I pin baste about every 4 or 5 inches. When done I always check the back first before going any farther. Make any corrections as needed, then quilt til your hearts content. I've never had a problem with pleats, folds, or creases. Good luck. Oh, I would like to try the basting spray. Just haven't yet.