Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Creased Backing >

Creased Backing

Creased Backing

Old 11-22-2010, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by bj
You may not be pulling the back taught enough before you pin.
But you can also pull the back too tight. then, when you let loose of the clips, tape,etc. it springs back to what it should be & presto ! you have a pleat.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by keesha_ont
Its the only way I baste since seeing her video - no creases!!
Have you used her method on a larger quilt (80"+) ? It looks so interesting, may have to try it on a smaller one first.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by karen65ae
Starch then tape( use masking tape or what ever tape will stick to your floor.).. the backing to the floor firmly not stretched making sure there are no creases then put batting then quilt top... Pin about every 4 inches... Once pinned remove from the floor and turn over and check that the batting is smooth I sometimes have to repin some sections.. another way is to use bull clips to hold the backing onto a table then pin batting etc
How do you get the starched backing smooth when you're ironing it. As I get to the next part, the already iron part wringles up. It'a a lose-lose situation. I just tape a tight as I can get it.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I had pleats all the time too. Til I started using basting spray. That solved that problem for me.
I have been spray basting for years and think there is no other way. No pins, no starching, no crawling on floors, largest quilt can be basted in 20-30 minutes, and no puckers or creases. Can't understand why anyone would still pin.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:02 AM

If you're using your walking foot are you just going straight up and down the quilt? If you go the same direction every time it will pucker.
Try going the opposite direction every other row. That way the backing fabric stays more square.
I also try to work in sections instead of rows.
And never fear, we all have 'those' days.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Nolee
Someone please help me. I only machine quilt. I use the walking foot. I can do backing fine on potholders, place mats and table runners but anything bigger than that and I get creases in the back. I am always pulling out. It is never smooth. I pin and pin and pin so I don't know what I am doing wrong. Is the only solution to keep cutting the thread, taking a look underneath and then reconnecting thread? That doesn't seem practical.
I tape the back down to the floor making sure it is all taut. Don't pull and stretch the fabric, just taut. Then I put down the battting making sure it is all smoothed out. Then I put down the top. Smoothing it out good as I pin.
Hope that make sense.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mary L Booth
My husband went to home depot and got me 2 8 ft straight boards, he painted and sanded them and now I put the leaf in our dinning room table and set and pin I do as Sharon does only I pin. Works great and no pleats on the back.
Oh silly me! I forgot about the leaf in our table. Of course, the table is that way today for Thanksgiving anyway! I need to get some of these boards too.
lots2do
Old 11-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
If you use the Sharon Schamber method you don't have pleats and you don't have to get down on the floor either.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA
Thanks for the link!

Careful prep at each step of the way makes the next part go soooo much better.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:45 PM

I was recently taught to tape the backing fabric down and then put the batting on top and then the top. Then I pin like crazy. I have only done a wallhanging but it has worked.