Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Crumb block sashing

Blog Entries

Crumb block sashing

I am making a CHILD'S crumb quilt for charity. It has lots of small child centered prints. I have lots of black sashing strips and wondering if I could use black for a child's quilt. Opinions please.
    Thanks in advance. You all are so helpful.
    Last edited by joym; 11-25-2015 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Delete

Go for the black! It can really spark a quilt that has bright colors--like kids prints. I don't think that people see black as a funeral color anymore if that's what you were thinking.

Super Member sewingitalltogether's Avatar
    No. On a child's quilt I'd use a bright blue, red or a green. Now, if it was for me then I'd say black. Use something bright, turquoise etc.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    If the other prints are bright, then black would be great.

Black will set off the bright colors. Go for it!

Blog Entries
    I acquired a bonus granddaughter, ready made at age 5. I wanted to make her a doll quilt. I asked her her favorite colors, she said pink, blue, green, purple, and black. I scratched my head over it for a while, then bought bright batiks and solid black & made an amish style quilt, with 9 bright/black pinwheels, sashed in black, small black border, then 4 rows (one each color) of checkerboard, then an outer black border. The back was a batik in all the colors, and I bound it with that, too. Ended up 36" square. I make my doll quilts large enough to wrap the doll in.

It depends upon the child. I am sure there will be one child in the charity THRILLED with your bright/black quilt.

A narrow sashing would look better than a wide one in black, I would guess, or else the black grid would be the main thing you'd see. Perhaps use a narrow black inner sashing with a wider one in a bright color?

hugs,
    Charlotte

Nothing wrong with using black in my opinion. It will make the bright colors POP.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I think black will be fine.

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    i came to find out that black is associated with one's own independence....even if i didn't know that is true, i would still use black, isn't its definition the absence of all color?
    "variety is the spice of life"

How big a part of the quilt is sashing? I wouldn't use very much black for a small child, but narrow sashing would set off the blocks nicely.
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ratherhaverain View Post
    Go for the black! It can really spark a quilt that has bright colors--like kids prints. I don't think that people see black as a funeral color anymore if that's what you were thinking.
    Yes, was thinking that!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltmouse View Post
    I acquired a bonus granddaughter, ready made at age 5.
    Quiltmouse I just have to say that I LOVE how you worded this. I also have an "acquired" granddaughter and I can't stand it when someone calls her a "step" child. She really was a bonus to our family when my son married her mother.

I think the black would look great with bright colors.

Cari

Blog Entries
    I used black to finish off the strips in these blocks...the other bright colors seem brighter because of it..

http://www.quiltingboard.com/attachm...667689-036.jpg
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/attachm...667709-037.jpg
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Yes, but I would then try to use brighter colors for the border(s) & binding to refocus on the joyousness in the quilt. And also keep in mind how the black is going to play with your batting. I'd make a tiny test piece with your batting to make sure it's not going to show through and/or beard with the black. Most of the time you'll be fine, but I'd just check it before putting all that work in.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
    I used black to finish off the strips in these blocks...the other bright colors seem brighter because of it..

http://www.quiltingboard.com/attachm...667689-036.jpg
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/attachm...667709-037.jpg
    Ahhh..that's it! Thanks for posting the pictures. Love the crayon fabric. I have decided to use thin black sashing strips.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
    Yes, but I would then try to use brighter colors for the border(s) & binding to refocus on the joyousness in the quilt. And also keep in mind how the black is going to play with your batting. I'd make a tiny test piece with your batting to make sure it's not going to show through and/or beard with the black. Most of the time you'll be fine, but I'd just check it before putting all that work in.
    Good idea.

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate everyone's input.

I think it is fine. It sets of bright colors and makes them even brighter. Plus moms or foster parents like the fact that black and other dark colors don't show the dirt quite as readily as white.

I probably would not use black unless it's got some polyester in it. My experience is that black fades and, since this is for a child and would be laundered more often, it won't be long until the quilt looks "worn". Black cotton seems to fade just with time but poly holds the dyes better.

Black would make a big, bright statement and sure to be loved.

Black would really pop the bright colors. I'd personally use a narrow sashing

I make string quilts all the time and my favorites have always been with black sashing. If you have a design wall, try auditioning different color sashing. Also the width of the sashing can make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by illinois View Post
    I probably would not use black unless it's got some polyester in it. My experience is that black fades and, since this is for a child and would be laundered more often, it won't be long until the quilt looks "worn". Black cotton seems to fade just with time but poly holds the dyes better.

Maybe depends how it's laundered??? I bought some Matryoshka doll fabric by Robert Kaufman (http://www.robertkaufman.com/fabrics/matryoshka_doll/) at JAF for backing a quilt I made 18 months ago. It's been washed numerous times & the black background for the fabric hasn't faded yet. I only wash my quilts/fabrics in cold water on the gentle cycle, no bleach, & dry on low heat and recommend recipients do the same -- I actually put washing instructions on my quilt labels. It is 100% cotton.

The idea of a parent washing children's quilts in cold water used to be an impossible wish, but with the new Cold Water detergents, often new parents will wash every load of wash in cold water so they don't have to sort the loads. Clothes come out just as clean, but far less worn and faded.

The Disney Store sells blankets with black satin binding, so I think black is appropriate for children's quilts.