Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cultural differences in quilting >

Cultural differences in quilting

Cultural differences in quilting

Old 06-19-2010, 12:38 PM

It sounds wonderful, absolutely inoffensive, and something that they wouldn't find where they live which would make it very special. If you love it, go with your feelings. You will enjoy making the quilt; and, because of that, will do a good job. Your good wishes for their baby will be felt from our side of the world to theirs.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:05 PM
Power Poster

and sending overseas, i mark everything gift adn the cost of the item very cheap so they won't have to pay duty on it.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:46 PM

Sounds like a cute fabric! Go for it. I am sure the quilt willl be loved.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by deanna.r
I'm sure your husband's friend and his wife would love a quilt, especially if you explained that it was a tradition in your culture. On the other hand, even many modern Chinese are still very superstitious and I believe that it would not be polite to give them something that represented bad luck or was offensive to them. White is the colour of death and would be particularly inappropriate for a baby. Do not even wrap the gift in white (or black which represents times of the unknown). Red is by far the luckiest colour. Blue-green is good for longevity and harmony.
Animals-- as others have said, tigers would be good since this is the year of the tiger, also tigers are considered protective and would sybolise guarding the child's safety. Koi fish are also very lucky, especially red, orange, or yellow. Rabbits represent hope and turtles represent longevity. NO owls since they bring death. Bears (especially pandas) are strong male symbols and butterflies are more female. Dragons are very good animals and many Chinese parents will try to time the birth of their child so that it will be born in the year of the dragon. There are quite a few cute childrens' fabrics with dinosaurs in bright colours available now.
Numbers-- eight is the luckiest number, four is good, and the number two doubles the meaning of a good symbol. Most odd numbers of things should be avoided.
I hope this gives you some good ideas to start with.
Everything you say is a very good point. I will only add that tigers are not as good for girls. I think it has something to do with not a preferred temperament for females. I learned that when I was having my own children and my superstitious sisters were discussing the Chinese Zodiac. Girls born in the year of the Dragon is much preferred too and apparently there are golden years too that are suppose to be the best. My oldest son was born in the year of the golden tiger. My second son was born in the year of the golden dragon. My last two son was born in the year of the sheep and the dog. No word from my sisters whether they were golden years so that must mean no. However my youngest was born 6-6-06 which apparently is much sought after.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:53 AM

I finally finished the quilt for our friends. Actually, I did 4 of them before I decided on this one. I want to thank all of you again for all the help and suggestions and encouragement you gave me. This is not the pattern I wanted to use but it showcased the fabrics. After all the agonizing, I think the final work came down to "baby"--it's a baby quilt. Thank you again-hope you all like it.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-71233.jpe  
Old 07-25-2010, 11:12 AM

That is beautiful!! I'm sure they will love it. :) It will be great to play "I spy" with as well. How fun!
Old 07-25-2010, 11:58 AM

I think it came out very nicely! I love the colors, soft, but with brights from the animals that blend very nicely! Great job, I know they will treasure it.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:19 PM

I LOVE IT!!! I know they will too!!! Great job Jan.....but why am I saying that ......you always do such a wonderful job!!!!!! :D
Old 07-25-2010, 03:14 PM

It is perfect! You quilted a heart which they will love.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:28 PM

I love it and know they will love it also.
Wonderful job and thank you so much for showing us.