Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Curious about long arm quilting... >

Curious about long arm quilting...

Curious about long arm quilting...

Old 04-02-2015, 06:37 PM

Tothill -

That is the way we started (short arm on frame) and we were able to finish ~40 quilts on our setup. The machine is a Pfaff and was running fine when we traded it in. $800 seems like a good price to me. I would definitely go for it. I think you will get your money back if you ever decide to trade it in.

Darren
Old 04-02-2015, 06:39 PM

Thank you wesing, that is my thought process too.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:22 PM

When I retired as a quilt store manager, I had about ten quilt tops finished and about 15 as started projects. Most of them were quilts I had made as store samples and as classes so when I thought about how much it would cost me to have all of these quilted I started looking for a (cheap) longarm quilter. Saw one on Craigslist for $1,000 so i bought. After 2yrs of using it I wanted something more modern.

Sold that first one also on Craigslist for $900.00 so I got my moneys worth out of it because between my daughter and I we quilted about 20 baby quilts and about 5 of my queen size quilt tops.

Again I went to Craigslist and found a HQ16 for $5000. So I bought. I have quilted for myself and also for some friends for $ and they have recommended me to their friends.. I give myself a one month time of return so I am not rushed.

All this to say that I love my "Harriet". only one problem she only loves Aurifil Thread.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:51 PM

I visited my local sewing machine dealer yesterday to pick up some thread and bobbins ... turned around and WOW! There sat the new Juki 2200 QVP Virtuoso on a frame. I nearly fainted. Ha! They had just got it set up but didn't have a quilt on it yet. I asked them to call me when I could try it out. I told them "upfront" that I knew it was out of my price range but I still had to try it. Maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket. LOL
Old 06-19-2015, 05:57 AM

Well, I finally got to try the Juki 2200 QVP Virtuoso long arm machine this week. Now I "get it"! This is the only long arm I've ever tried ... and only used it for abut 5 mins. This machine has a stitch regulator with a cruise setting or a manual setting. I tried some free motion and OMG it was a breeze. I found this machine to be much easier to move on the cruise setting ... it just seemed to "glide". The manual setting I would say was sort of like driving without power steering on a car.

Obviously, I need to "test drive" the Juki more as well try other long arms. But I better understand why all of you w/long arm machines love them. Thanks for all your input.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:10 AM

I never thought about quilting till I went with a friend to check out a machine system and ended up ordering one myself. That started things rolling for me. Hadn't even made that many quilt either at that time. Then I got a robotic system for my little 9" machine, had lots of problems with it and was getting ready to ship it back when my dealer talked me out of it. Bad move on my part but it came out okay later. Upgraded the robotics with another brand so no loss in original setup. Then moved up to a stretched 18" machine. Finally moved up to a 26", 12' frame and upgraded robotic system. Now all this time I only quilt for myself as I never felt I was good enough to make it in business plus I just don't care for all the stress of worrying if I ruined someone's quilt. I have quilted a couple small quilts for some friends but oh the stress the I went thru while doing it. Though I use robotics all the time it can still go badly for you when things don't line up as you think they should, etc. I do mainly custom quilting on my quilts which are given out as gifts to folks that wouldn't know a bad quilt if it hit them in the face so I don't worry about it.

I can quilt when I feel like it, no time limit set for when I finally get it done. Only finished 1 quilt last year but have made up for it with 7 so far this year with 5 tops waiting to be quilted, 3 more in the planning stage. I can quilt in the middle of the night when I feel up to it. I like being able to schedule my quilting when I want instead of having to wait in line for someone else to do it for me. I do enjoy working up the quilting layout using ProQ Designer program. So many variations I can come up with and then decide which one I want to use at the end.

Just a few reasons why I have a quilt system of my own with no business ties.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:50 PM

I have quilted for others and quilted for myself. I just finished 10 quilts for QOV and have 30 project linus to finish...for now. My suggestion is this: If you buy a long arm, you need to learn the craft, like charity quilts, and watching utube quilting videos. If you feel that you are proficient at it, you can take in quilting for others, but start with your quilting friends first. Practice is the best. I have had my long arm for 2.5 years and have completed a lot of quilts and feel that if I had tried quilting them on my DSM it would have killed my back and shoulders. The cost of sending them out for a LA quilter should be taken into consideration too. I like the thought that my time is my own and if it takes you a couple of weeks to LA your own quilt, that should be good for you. I hope this helps a little.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:49 PM

Several years ago I had a "mid-arm" quilting machine with 10 ft. table. Only did pantograph designs from back of the
machine (no handles). It was extremely successful in that ladies sent me their projects from as far away as Alaska,
New York, etc. Downside was having to do of re-working on some tops, purchasing large rolls of batting/storing it,
and finally constant running to Post Office or UPS to mail quilts back.
Would still love to have a Long Arm machine for personal projects. Prices are still out of my range.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:37 AM
Banned

I prefer the peace and ease of hand quilting while watching a good movie. I have more money for fabric.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

I have never owned one. I mostly make lap quilts and hand quilt them. However, I am fascinated by long arms. I would love to be able to just watch someone run one. All the choices for stitching, the swift way they can be finished. Oh my! I wonder if there is a video in youtube......