Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Curious - Do you buy 'collections' of threads... >

Curious - Do you buy 'collections' of threads...

Curious - Do you buy 'collections' of threads...

Old 05-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

I bought a large set of threads from Metro Embroidery Thread for the longarm, and I'm glad I did. The thread works great in my Innova, and it gives me a lot of choices when I want a shiny thread on a quilt. For piecing I just use neutrals.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:07 AM

I have been getting the Essential thread collections from Connecting Threads because I suddenly realized that the only thread in MY collection was white, off white, tan, gray and a few other neutrals
Old 05-25-2011, 11:15 AM
Kas

I have only done that once. They were YLI cottons in Fall colors. I used almost all of them in the Fall leaves quilt I made for our school auction several years ago. Usually I pick each color just for a project and not get a whole collection, but these were almost all going to work and they were on sale to boot!
Old 05-25-2011, 11:54 AM

I buy neutral and black thread from Connecting threads
really don't use many colored threads....
Old 05-25-2011, 11:58 AM

I've never bought a collection. I do use a ton of thread because I'm a longarm quilter, so I have a lot of different kinds in a lot of different colors. I have a stash of thread as well as a stash of fabric. =sigh=
Old 05-25-2011, 12:57 PM

I stick with the neutral colors. They seem to work best with everything I work with. I pick them up separately.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:04 PM

The only thread collection sets that I've purchased, numerous over the years, has been from Connecting Threads and still loving them, no complaints. If they would add more, I'd probably buy them too.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by ontheriver
I have a couple of collections from Connecting Threads that I like. I use a lot of different colors for raw edge applique and got tired of always having to go get another color, so bought them in a group. I've used almost all of them at least one.
I did when I first decided to try my hand at FMQ - I had no 50W thread - so it seemed like a good wy to go - I have used almost all the colors I picked - one was neurtals and the other was a variety of shades I seem to use a great deal - I haven't been sorry.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:17 PM

I bought a box of 12 or 18 small rolls of Gutterman on sale at Joanns $5.00. I wanted the variety for applique. I just bought a collection of 5 or so neutral silks from Superior as it seemed to be a good deal and I want them for machine quilting. Otherwise I buy all my Gutts for piecing and Sulky rayons for thread painting and machine applique on sale at Joann's.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:58 PM

I don't buy collections of thread BUT every once in a while I could use a thread color I don't have. Last Christmas Joanns had a box of 20 spools of Guttermann thread in various colors on sale for $20. I bought one and have dipped into it frequently for various colors. I rarely need very much, mostly for accent or decorative stitching. Turned out to be a good investment.