Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Curious - Do you buy 'collections' of threads... >

Curious - Do you buy 'collections' of threads...

Curious - Do you buy 'collections' of threads...

Old 05-25-2011, 04:58 PM

Ebay has some reasonably priced thread collections, my daughter bought a couple for me for mothers day last year, I've used most of the colors and they are great to have so I don't have to run to the store to find thread that matches. I'm not sure of quality, but I do go for 100% cotton.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:01 PM

I love hand applique and have a collection of 50 wt. of Aurifil threads so that I always have a shade that blends well. It also saves money in the long run because I'm not running to the stores trying to find the correct shade for each new project. It works for me.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:19 PM

I don't normally buy collections, but I did cave in and ordered a couple collections from Connecting Threads and have been using them for the 2 weeks I've owned them.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:36 PM

I had the opportunity to purchase a chest of Madeira threads
a couple of years ago....at a big discount...and I have never regretted it. I got into machine applique and was very happy to have all the colors and shades to choose from.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltgirl26
Yes I have bought collections of Aurfil thread. I like have various colors for machine quilting.
My DH bought me the Aurifil collection of 252 colors for a Christmas gift. I use them for machine quilting - always have the right color!
Old 05-26-2011, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by ontheriver
I have a couple of collections from Connecting Threads that I like. I use a lot of different colors for raw edge applique and got tired of always having to go get another color, so bought them in a group. I've used almost all of them at least one.
Ditto here!! You can't beat their prices and I do a lot of applique as well, I find having a selection helps. Saves gas as well, no running to the store to buy thread all the time.

Blessings,
MaryAnna

PS. Love Connecting Threads....great thread at great prices!
Old 05-26-2011, 07:52 AM

Yes, I have a collection of quilting thread from ConnectingThreads. I especially like, Essential: 100% Egyptian Cotton. I order sets in Black and White, Neutral and some colors. I find it very good in my piecing. GiGi
Old 05-26-2011, 07:53 AM

Yes, I have a collection of quilting thread from ConnectingThreads. I especially like, Essential: 100% Egyptian Cotton. I order sets in Black and White, Neutral and some colors. I find it very good in my piecing. GiGi
Old 05-28-2011, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by pjemark
I use a lot of colors. I like applique and decorative stitching so I like to have a lot of colors on hand. I hate it when I'm working on something and lacking the right color.
I am like you when I machine applique., Now I have an embroidery machine I want to buy bigger cones of Marathon rayon thread for the embroidery. It cost $8 per 5,000 meter cones. I will be buying what ones I need to match the Brother cotton patterns. That is a reasonable price for us here in Australia.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:13 PM

I have bought several collections. One from thread art one from sulky and one from floriani. I like have a lot of choices when I am doing a project. My husband uses alot of the thread for the embroidery.. We have not been sorry about buying collections. We just keep adding to them.