Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Curious - Do you swap blocks and why?

LOL, maybe we should have a "Pet Owning Smokers" swap with the only requirement being a chosen size...

Quote Originally Posted by Tilladare
    LOL, maybe we should have a "Pet Owning Smokers" swap with the only requirement being a chosen size...

Do we have to be both or could it be either or? :lol: :roll: :thumbup: :lol: :roll:

Oh dear... It is said that curiosity killed the cat...I didn't mean to offend anyone by starting this topic, but it seems I have unwittingly done so. If I have, please accept my apologies. I was merely curious as to why some people chose not to swap and offered my own personal reasons to start the conversation. I truly admire my fellow quilters who do swap and can keep track of everything and actually complete their quilts. I just can't seem to and therefore don't.

Diana

I have been in many swaps here and I love them! I have been disappointed by very few blocks and have only not received one that someone else made up for but life happens so I can live with that.
    My problem is I still have all those blocks to make about 8 quilts so............. NO more swaps for me until I get caught up!

Although I'm tempted by the chicken swap as I did one before and love the quilt I made that is not quilted and then there's the BOM not a swap, both houses and stars and then the pinwheel project, not a swap but still..........! :-D
    It's easy to get in over your head with all the fun stuff here!
    :-D

I did many years ago with Genie Online Quilters. We sent our signature fabric to 11 folks (groups of 12). They did whatever 12" block and other colors. We had a secret pal that we sent little things to each month. It was all alot of fun. Just not interested anymore. Bible study class and volunteer work take up any free time I might have now.

I did participate in a block swap a long time ago with some forum friends.We swapped homespuns to make a rag quilt and I did get mine finished. When I wrap up on a chilly night it is like getting a hug from all my great forum friends.
    Sass

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    I can related to all the points you mentioned plus the cost of shipping is getting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dsb38327
    I am happy for those who do enjoy the swaps. I enjoy seeing all the wonderful blocks and quilts. I am not tempted to participate. I believe the first reason is my insecurity of offering/providing something that would live up to the receivers expectations. The second reason is because I like to choose my fabric, decide on the pattern and make my quilt. I think I would feel like it was not my quilt.
    I feel the same.

I don't because I'm too slow. LOL I know I will never be able to meet
    any deadline. I quilt for relaxation and the last thing I want is to turn into
    stress. That's just me. I wish I could. I envy those who can do it...
    specially the doll quilt swap. Maybe one day. ;-) I'll have to make one
    in advance before I commit. :-)

Blog Entries
    I am doing the quilt in the new year swap. You are paired with a partner who would like to make a similar item. I personally thought it would be interesting to request a 12" block in 30's (or similar)-their choice and at the end of the year, I would have a variety blocks to put together in a quilt. I also requested a scrap of the swap block to be able to do a border with all blocks represented. I personally am not expecting the "perfect" block. If someone was willing to make one for me-that made it perfect for me. Some comments came across as not thinking anyone could match their surpurb quality of work expectations and thus render anything useless-somehow your high standards would somehow be compromised-how sad.

Quote Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    i used to swap and be a hostess but every single time there was a smoker involved even though smokers weren't supposed to join in.

people would complain about the smell and when i was the hostess i had to keep those blocks away and spray the room with febreeze trying to remove the smell from the blocks.

so needless to say, i do not bother any longer.
    I think that smokers do not understand the problems it can cause for some others. I lived with a smoker for many years (unfortunately he succombed to complications after surgery to remove his cancerous lung). I had no problem with it until I developed asthma. Now just the smell of smoke on something can trigger an asthma attack and deaths from asthma are increasing. And using Febreze is not an option for some of us, as it may also cause asthma.

Blog Entries
    I've always wondered about swaps myself. I'm like EasyPeezy. Why stress myself with more deadlines? I have too many other things that need that kind of attention. My quilting is done either for gifts or charity. And I never see the end of UFOs finished.

The other reason - I hate to stand in line at the post office to send something off. I know there are squishy paks, etc. I just quilt for enjoyment and an avenue for some creativity. When I do a quilt, I don't feel the need to ask for blocks from someone else.

Right now -- I'm really into scap quilts and want to try so many different techniques.

I will send a block if one is requested for a joint quilt for someone who is ill, and I try to follow the requests for size and color.

I do understand the pet hair request and carefully scrutinize the quilt tops I get from my sewing group for baby quilts for a local charity. I can wash or take care of that problem, before assembling the rest. We have no smokers.

All the more power to those who love swaps. It is just something that I can live without.

Good

cjr
    I belong to the BOM swap block here. Why do I do it?? It is fun getting a surprize that is soft & squishy in the mail. I enjoiy the challenge of coming up with some thing I probably would not do. It makes me work out of the box, and a chance to create something unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobster
    If there's a demand, maybe someone should set up a swap that specifically states that it's OK if the blocks smell of smoke or have pet hair on them?

I did a birthday block swap last year. It was fun, but I'm not planning to do it again. I just don't have the money, for starters. In the UK, quilting fabric generally costs about 10/m and international postage costs (everyone else was abroad) are high, even if you try to send batches of blocks to someone to redistribute every few months. The main problem, however, was that my birthday is mid December and a lot of the participants had stopped bothering by then. I really had to beg to get remotely near the number of blocks I'd sent out, and only got them because some kind people who weren't even in the swap made "angel blocks" (one person made five, bless her).

So it was interesting and fun as a one-off, but too many problems to want to do it again, even though it's supposedly better-organised this year (after the one person who said her birthday was in Feb and got an awful lot of blocks before we realised that she'd scammed us and not made a single block for anyone else). I asked for crazy quilt blocks with a female sexuality theme (one person took this fairly literally!), you know, the shape in the middle and the colours and such. I've just started sewing the blocks to the sashing tonight, it's shades of red and deep pink and orange and the back will be red. I'm really looking forward to the quilting: appropriate motifs (I don't think I'll dare post the quilt here, judging by the zombie quilt people will be too shocked by it!) and it'll be my first foray into big stitch quilting with perle 8. The quilt is going to this charity: http://www.forwarduk.org.uk/, it's a subject I feel passionately about.
    Great post, I have read a lot about the subject on the link provided This is a horrid pratice. I am glad you are involved to help this cause. I for one would love to see the finished quilt . If you don't mind just pm me and I will send you my email .

Oh i ment to comment on another post I seen of yours that I LOVE the Isis avatar quilt. I really struggle on here sometimes to keep my tounge harnessed lol. ( I lean toward the pagan side of things )

:shock: :shock: I know as shocking to some as allergies and smoke lol!

PS,
    I loved the Zombie quilt and I loved the winning ugly fabric choice,yikes I'm a freak,it's out now :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    I only joined one swap and that one is recently and is the 1.5" swap. I actually had fun making all those little squares and I have a bunch for another swap of the same size and as I sew I have been cutting up more and just putting them into a plastic container for the next swap. I don't have any problem with cat/dog hairs or smoking. I just appreciate the fun of doing this and meeting new people. ;)

"(I don't think I'll dare post the quilt here, judging by the zombie quilt people will be too shocked by it!"

yikes the Zombie post was deleted !!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hen3rietta
    Do you swap blocks? and if not, why? My question is one of pure curiosity. - I don't any longer.

When I first started seeking fellow quilters on the web I enthusiastically joined a number of swaps of various sorts: FQ's, charms, friendship stars, 12 months, rowXrow, etc. Now, I find that I'm much less likely to engage in certain kinds of swaps, if any. These are usually the ones that require the use of certain colors or styles (30's repro for example) that change for each participant, or extend over long periods of time (round robins) where you have to rely on the persons preceding you to get your bit out in time. And I've found that with all the block or row swaps I've done, I've yet to assemble a single top from any of them and I'm at a loss to explain why except that none of them move me to want to finish them, even for charity. I donated a number of them to the block orphanage.

After much thought, I've concluded that the annoyance of keeping track of what I send and receive is the primary reason for me, followed closely by picky participants/hostesses who want not only a particular color but a style that I don't have in my stash or a theme fabric that is just not available for one reason or another requiring me to run around trying to find something suitable.

How about the rest of you non-swappers out there?

Diana
    I don't swap mainly because I just can't be bothered. I can't keep up with my own quilting ideas, let alone doing others. I am enjoying the pinwheel project where we keep what we sew, and am making some blocks for the Just One Star program. I also do quite a few QFK a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    I used to swap alot but being a smoker it was getting difficult ( I know bad habit) I have almost enough for a quilt just need to make one but have two quilts I need to work on before May!!
    I'm right there with ya sistah!!! I look at it this way...I don't drink, have never done drugs, haven't had a relationship in hmmmmmmm 10+ years, lost my mother/best friend/roomie 3 weeks ago, what else would you like me to give up???? That's how I rationalize it anyway lol

Kudo's to you, Quiltmaker!! The truth is sometimes harsh and some may take offense...but my hat's off to you. Keep up the good work!

I have swapped blocks in a local group and do NOT swap at all anymore. No two blocks come out the same size and that makes for a lot more work than just making blocks for myself. Also people do not use the same quality fabric that is requested.
    The first/last quilt made from swapped blocks was given for a dog bed, the quality of stitching was that bad.

I'm relatively new to the board and just signed up for my first row robin. It will be interesting to see how it goes based on the feedback here. I'm pretty easy to please and this group doesn't seem to have a lot of really strict rules.I've seen several that I haven't signed up for because I know the rules would be hard to follow.

I think for the swaps, the row robins,etc it is likely important to read all the rules and decide if they are a match to your personality and style. If not, it probably isn't the right thing for you to sign up for. I would love to get in on a layer cake swap or charm swap, but am waiting either for one that works for me and my style or more experience from reading before I do my own.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CloverPatch
    I am a Wanna-Be block swapper! I joined this group witht he intent of block swapping, but so far it has been too picky. Must use certain pattern, which I am all for, but then stippulating I must use certain colors, and fabric themes. Feel I am basically just making their quilt, with their blocks with their colors. Not quite what i want. I am keeping my eye out though for a block swap, I can enjoy. Till then I am having fun with the doll swaps and table runner swaps.
    Cloverpatch there will be a boomerang swap starting in mid April that you might want to look into. The one in April will be Boomerang5, I have been involved in 3 and am now doing 4 and will definetly do 5. Here are the links to the two groups that are doing boomerang 4. I have had an awesome time particpating with these groups. Lovingizabella is the hostess to these swaps and she does an awesome job, and everyone makes blocks to the best of their ability and I treasure everyone that I have received. Participating in these swaps have forced me to move out of my comfort zone and try new things and pairs fabrics that I never thought to use. I would encourage any one to try one of these boomerang swaps.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-88099-1.htm
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-88100-1.htm

I did block swaps on a different site and felt ripped off. Either I didn't get anything back or what I did get back was so poorly constructed I couldn't use it. I did do a round robin and it came back beautiful. I am now participating in a row robin on this site and I am hoping for the best.

Blog Entries
    I was not going to but I decided to put in my two cents worth here. I have read all the posts and can agree with all of them. I am an ex smoker so I relate to this and I also understand the allergy laden people. I quit smoking over 25 years ago but suffer from the effects of all those years of doing it. I had asthma then and now I have COPD with chronic bronchitis and a touch of enphysema. The one thing that I am most allergic to, you guessed it, cigarette smoke. I can be in the room with a smoker and go into an attack and they are not fun. I for one know that fabric can be washed and I respect your right to smoke and have pets, I have pets, just try to understand that maybe by the time we get it to the washer it may be too late to avoid the attack. It is hard to even go to a store around people. Not everyone keeps themselves or their homes clean like the quilting buddies on here.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terryl
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilladare

Do we have to be both or could it be either or? :lol: :roll: :thumbup: :lol: :roll:
    I like this idea :D
    The only swap I have done was the Winter 1.5. I have sent some donation blocks & fabric. I included a note with the blocks, I have not had to buy any fabric for over a year. I do recycle fabrics from clothing & I do have friends that give me all kinds, because they know I sew.
    I haven't done any other swaps for the fact that I don't feel my work is up to par for some & the postage cost is another. If I am really interested I may, but life happens & it puts me behind some times.
    I really like the board & enjoy it always ! :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    I enjoy block swaps and rules don't bother me. I particularly enjoy the swaps at Treadleon. They have beginner as well as more challenging. The main rules are size, must be done on a treadle or handcrank. The monthly block swap here is the only other one I have joined.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast